• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fingers/knuckles hurt from grip?

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
image.jpg

So this is my usual power grip, and I was practicing some drives yesterday and the two knuckles towards the tips of my middle fingers hurt a bit now.. Am I doing something wrong to strain them or is it normal? I put a couple drives out to about 400 (measured on gps) at my max yesterday, am I just gripping to hard?

Its not a penis---throttle down! :p :D

But seriously, I grip my disc loosely until I start to reach back, and then my thumb and fingers tighten until the disc rips loose. And my grip looks much like yours. If you step on the pad and you're already clinching the disc tightly, this could be at least part of the problem.

Did you just start playing more rounds again as the weather improved? A sudden increase in playing time could be a factor also.

Last edited:
Yeah it might be that I am playing more and I'm starting to get a decent form and throw dialed in a bit. I'll probably Ice it when I get home

It'll most likely be fine. I seem to recall my fingertips hurting a bit when I first started playing multiple rounds, but that was back before the dinosaurs were rendered extinct, and my mind's none too clear about ancient history...

One thing I did notice is that on some new discs there's a tiny ridge of flashing near the inside edge of the rim. On my new Star Wraith it was so prevalent it started roughing up the skin on my fingers, so I had to sand it down. [Shhh, don't tell anybody---the tourney turds get reaaally upset if you alter your discs] ;)

Last edited:
Whups---that was supposed to be tourney "nerds". I believe that's a Freudian slip.

Lol, well my fingertips aren't bothering me but the knuckles above are

Depending on how old you are, could just be some arthritis. After a whole bunch of years playing, multiple broken fingers from sports played in years gone by, my knuckles and finger joints can bother me after playing a lot. Some ice, rest, ibprofen usually help some. Beer help some as well, but now you need a bigger bag.

I'm not really an expert, but it looks like your grip might end up being like mine was, and that also hurt my first knuckles. The problem was that instead of having my fingers' pads on the rim, my grip naturally went so that the fingertips of the two middle fingers are on the rim, and actually when tightly squeezed my first knuckles touched the flight plate. That makes the finger orientation so that when the disc is ripping out of the hand, the disc isn't pulling your fingers open, but it's pushing your fingertip toward the first knuckle, and that's not a way the joint likes to move. You can get the same effect when you grab your bent finger and pull on it. It hurts.

I moved to "Climo" fork grip, and I haven't had any finger join pain since.

Well I'm only 25, it's possible 13 years of hockey could have done some damage. I may just try changing my grip like suggested to see if it helps with that

Looks like your two middle fingers are too bent into the disc like archmage said and probably putting a lot force back into the joints when ripping. Try to get the pads more against the rim wall and that top joint pain may subside.

Yeah I'll have to give that a try, hopefully it helps some. I'll see how it goes on Monday and maybe I'll post some videos so I can get some feedback on my form.

Haven't had this problem at all recently so I think I just did "too much" that one day

What grip do you use? Power grip with four fingers, or fan grip, or finger on the rim? Do you grip really tight? I have some pain in my index finger from a power grip. That's where the disc rips from my hand but it's on the palm side, not knuckle. Could you possibly have arthritis there? Throwing a clean release out of your hand with no wobble or off-axis tourque will minimize the ripping away from your hand.

My usual grip is the power grip with four fingers, and like I said I think I had just dont too much that one day as I haven't had any problems since. I don't start gripping hard until the disc is just in front of my chest.

when I first started practicing a lot this year and concentrating on grip I could get some pain at the joints of my fingertip because I was applying a lot of pressure there. I was trying really hard to grip between my thumb and forefinger. I've since adjusted my grip and I don't get that any more.

One thing that has been happening lately though is I'm try to get the dsic nose down and now when I snaip to release, right after release I get a kinda sharp pain in my palm, kinda heel area of my hand....Any ideas on that? Not to thread jack...

Snap to release? Most of the pressure i am applying is across my fingers and my thumb (the whole thing) and not so much the heel area of my palm.

Not sure, but if you are "releasing/letting go" of the disc then that might be a problem there. The disc should naturally come out of your hand, you shouldnt have to "let go" of the disc.

No I'm not letting it go, the force of my arm whipping is causing the disc to come out. I've even tried to squeeze down on the disc really hard before release to may sure I wasn't letting go and it still come out. I don't know what's causing it, it just started too, just since I've really been concentrating on keeping to nose down so I point my wrist down.

I mean its not like its excruciating pain or anything I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself or anything. Like in case I'm popping a tendon or something and it will eventually just pop for real you know.

loki, that sounds similar to the pain I would get if it was cold out and/or I didn't properly warm up my wrist and hand. Though, I didn't run into it earlier this winter, possibly because I'm spending much less time at a keyboard than previous years. =)

The good news is, it went away later in the disc golf season. I hope your pain vanishes just as quickly.

Cheers

My finger joints, especially my index finger, were aching so bad last fall I started throwing with my other hand.

Last winter some time I came upon a Youtube video from Mike C on throwing technique, which I am sorry but i cannot find the link for; but his recommended grip was radically different from what I had been doing, and this spring I've had no pain whatsoever.

It was all about making the disc be on the same plane as your arm, starting your index on top of the disc then curling it under.

Anyone else see that? Great short vid that helps big time.

Latest posts