• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Firebird weight

elkevo

Par Member
I have a Firebird that is a real meat hook for me, even for forehand throws. Its weight is 175g. Would getting a lighter weight one, in the 160g - 165g range, provide any benefit?

Yes, but might be better to go for a less OS mold. Seems like you're all Innova so perhaps an FL, FD3, or Starfire? I don't bag any Innova, but if I did, I would go with the Starfire. I like the feel of straight wings, and it has enough over stability for me to trust.

If you ventured out, the Predator is like a slightly straighter Firebird.

It's for the OS forehand/utility shot. I already have a Thunderbird, which I think is similar to the FL, and a Banshee that is currently filling that spot.

So, original question, would a lighter Firebird provide any benefit for me vs. the 175g disc?

What plastic is your Firebird and does it have dome or is it flat?

I have not thrown super light Firebirds so I unfortunately can't comment on that aspect of it. But definitely the flat ones are insane OS, like 9/2/+1/5, while domey ones are like 9/3/+0/4.

What plastic is your Firebird and does it have dome or is it flat?

I have not thrown super light Firebirds so I unfortunately can't comment on that aspect of it. But definitely the flat ones are insane OS, like 9/2/+1/5, while domey ones are like 9/3/+0/4.

It's Star plastic with a bit of a dome.

I'd look at a Felon then for halfway between the Thunderbird and Firebird. I have only a little experience with the FD3 (it was metal flake C-line) and it was similar to but below the stability of a domey champ Firebird...very firm HSS but throwable (and it was a notch above a Felon). Again I can't comment on sub 168g or so Firebirds as I haven't thrown them. A Gstar Firebird could also be a good stability but since you want it for utility purposes that plastic may not have the characteristics you want (not skippy, probably not as good for overhands).

I'd suggest looking for a used Firebird instead of a lighter one. In my experience, the shape/wear of Firebirds matters a lot more than weight when it comes to stability. I have one 167g Firebird that's my meathook utility Firebird and another 175g Firebird that's my straight to fade Firebird. Try finding a used one with a slightly lower PLH than the Firebird you have. That should be exactly what you're looking for.

If a domey Star FB is a meat hook for you, you would have to go pretty light to make a difference.

I'd just go get a banshee or longbowman depending on the feel you like.

Gstar is the answer. Very stable (maybe just a little turn) with not as much fade as other Firebirds. Love to pair mine with Champ and Star Firebirds.

And no, lightweight will not necessarily be the answer. Wear, plastic, and PLH have more to do with stability than weight in Firebirds.

Gstar is the answer. Very stable (maybe just a little turn) with not as much fade as other Firebirds. Love to pair mine with Champ and Star Firebirds.

And no, lightweight will not necessarily be the answer. Wear, plastic, and PLH have more to do with stability than weight in Firebirds.

Totally agree with this^^^

I have a 170 G*, it flies a lot like a champ Starfire, I also have a FAF 158 champ Firebird that I can't get to 250ft! In between those two, I have a 170 champ and a 163 Star.

So weight ain't necessarily the answer.

I have a Firebird that is a real meat hook for me, even for forehand throws. Its weight is 175g. Would getting a lighter weight one, in the 160g - 165g range, provide any benefit?

It might help some in getting you a bit more distance. It won't be less OS due to the lighter weight (all else being equal, such as the PLH).

I have a 11 time champion firebird thats 150g and its still a meat hook but its easier to get good distance out of.i should mention its primary and generally only used for sidearm. I have a early run star FB and when compared one after the other the 11x goes further and dumps harder then the star. If your look looking for less hook at the end you may want to get a diffent mold altogether.

If you want something in between a Thunderbird and Firebird check out the Daredevil Sabertooth or RDG Raptor (same disc). It is more workable then a Firebird but still fights the wind really nicely

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I have a 167 Champ Firebird and it is alot more useful for me than a max weight. Still a meat hook, but easier to work with, especially after years of use.

This ^^^^ or a 2017 sexton glow firebird

Latest posts