• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floating discs

Drewford

I know there are some good molds out there that float. My main question is, what are they? I tend to be able to throw stable and understable discs better. I've heard good things about a lightning #2. Any other ideas?

Most players here are going to tell you to trust your normal drivers, and learn NOT to throw in the water. That would also be my advise.

That makes sense. I guess I'm frustrated that my friends keep throwing my discs in the water because they aren't used to the game yet. I wanted to get some discs that I would like throwing and wouldn't be worried about having my friends throw them near water. My home course has a pretty good size lake. It's easy to avoid but tempting to throw over.

Ah, that's different. Just buy some cheap DX, or Pro D stuff for them to throw. If they throw in the water, it won't be that expensive to replace.

That makes sense. I guess I'm frustrated that my friends keep throwing my discs in the water because they aren't used to the game yet. I wanted to get some discs that I would like throwing and wouldn't be worried about having my friends throw them near water. My home course has a pretty good size lake. It's easy to avoid but tempting to throw over.

Dont let your friends throw your discs, problem solved. :)

Tell 'em to loose their own plastic.:D

Lighter Champion Blizzard--I think 140g and under--float.

DGA Blowfly and Blowfly II discs float...maybe their other signature line discs, also.

A lot of Lightning discs float.

@ B3NDER:

Where did you get the idea that the Hydra is a midrange? Looks like a puttter to me.

Having to throw over water a LOT, at about the limits of my range, I frequently throw floating discs.

Of those I've tried, the Blizzard plastics under 138g, in particular a wraith, have worked best. It takes some adjustment throwing such light weight, though. I can throw it about as far as anything else, provided there's no headwind.

I had a Wahoo and it was fabulous 10% of the time, as long as any driver in my bag, and wildly uncontrollable the rest. For me; I know a player who throws it very well. The Wahoo also beats in easily, so should be thrown only on those water holes.

Years ago I had a Lightning driver that floated, but was an uninspired disc. It had a true flight path, but was a shorter flyer than my other drivers.

The Dragon, on the other hand, is one of the worst discs I ever threw.

After all of that, it's true that floating discs are in imperfect solution. You do get them back, eventually, but if it's a large body of water it may take a while, especially on a windless day. If they fly worse than your regular drivers, either shorter or less reliably, it means you're giving up strokes to get a disc back.

I throw them---sometimes---because I'm often throwing over water in casual rounds, where the score isn't so important, and losing my best drivers will cost me strokes, too.

DGCenter might call it a midrange but since when is a midrange anything less than a speed 4? The Hydra is a putter. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Zone is a putter???? Could've fooled me!!

Classic Roc? It's a short midrange for sure, but the feel is nothing like any putter you'll find.

BTW, Marshall Street calls the Hydra a mid as well.

I think a lot (all?) of Innova's R-Pro plastic floats, including the Boss. That's usually a meathook disc, but I've got a weird one that's unusually flippy (...I know).

::throws floating disc over water:::
::hits tree and it drops in the draaaank but isn't worried b/c "MY DISC FLOATS!"::
::Gets to the water hazard only to watch the disc float away like a sailboat::

and its lost anyway.

I think a lot (all?) of Innova's R-Pro plastic floats, including the Boss. That's usually a meathook disc, but I've got a weird one that's unusually flippy (...I know).

I won't put money on it, but my understanding is that they don't float.

Innova advertises certain discs as floating (Dragon, Wahoo, Blizzards below 139g), which wouldn't seem necessary if an entire line of plastic floated. Or even most of it.

I've got a couple of R-Pros....perhaps I should go dunk them and see.

It is my opinion, that if you carry a floater disc for just water shots, your already admitting defeat. Its better just to carry an older disc that you wouldn't "mind" losing, if it hits the drink. Now if your somebody who uses light blizz, or a dragon/wahoo in normal situations then by all means throw those when you get to a water hole.

::hits tree and it drops in the draaaank but isn't worried b/c "MY DISC FLOATS!"::

and its lost anyway.

:thmbup:

That was always my thought.

and its lost anyway.

Depends on the size, shape, and type of water. There are some times where it floating are helpful....and others where it is a PITA as it drifts out to sea.

I'd rather watch my disc sink into the abyss, than see it floating with no way to get to it. It's much more taunting just looking at your disc float there, almost laughing at you.