• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Foot Faults at World by Stokely

** unrelated to this exact instance, but It is always an unfair advantage to miss your mark...why, because obviously you didn't pay enough attention to hit your mark, therefore leaving more focus on the throw itself versus paying attention to your footing. That might sound petty, maybe for one miss. But if someone is carefree with their footing, they are just that, carefree. Whereas the rest of us have to put a little thought and focus on where we put our feet.

I think he was called on the foot faults because his footwork after release looks unbalanced and sloppy, but it's really just the controlled chaos Stokely has. It gives the impression he wasn't in control when he really was. A good number of the foot faults I've seen have come on slips like that, where the slip on the pull is what slides their foot into their lie or beyond it typically.

The weird part is that in the video they call him for being "too far behind his lie" and the video seems clear enough to me to show that isn't the case, but I guess it could've looked different in person? I can't tell any real difference between his "legal" throw and his faults.

Because in a lie such as the one in the video I don't think a slight/menial foot fault is going to change the trajectory of the throw or give the player an unfair advantage. The second call was questionable and, while I think the first call seem legit, I still don't think it gave Scott an unfair advantage.

This argument has gone round and round for ages, but the distance of the throw or the openness of the field doesn't have anything to do with whether the fault can be advantageous. The advantage comes from not trying to hit the mark properly in the first place, or not trying hard enough.

Throw 10 times where foot placement doesn't matter, then 10 times where you're focused on planting in exactly the correct spot and then try to say it makes no difference. It absolutely does.

If Stokely or anyone else faults Primanti's, pierogies, or any other of the delicious delicacies which the Pittsburgh area is known for, I am personally gonna kick their ass! ;)

No worries, I know. Just a funny typo :p

there will be many more like this from me i guess :doh:
No hard feelings though. :hfive:

Anyways, i think this video from Stokely shows one big flaw in the whole pdga rule setting.
If you get called by the rest of your card, you have almost no chance on defending yourself.
Even if you have the whole thing on tape. I am not saying that you should always watch the videos and decided whether or not it was a foot fault or not (would take much to long) but there must be something, you, as a player can do to avoid being screwed by others.

there will be many more like this from me i guess :doh:
No hard feelings though. :hfive:

Anyways, i think this video from Stokely shows one big flaw in the whole pdga rule setting.
If you get called by the rest of your card, you have almost no chance on defending yourself.
Even if you have the whole thing on tape. I am not saying that you should always watch the videos and decided whether or not it was a foot fault or not (would take much to long) but there must be something, you, as a player can do to avoid being screwed by others.

I posted this same comment to his facebook page:

Could you imagine if mainstream sports allowed other players to officiate the rules. Like say if wide receivers could call their own pass interference or defensive linemen could call holding. Maybe it is time to have officiating involved in such a high-profile tournaments. One for each group to apply the rules accordingly. Let the players play and not worry about infractions.

This argument has gone round and round for ages, but the distance of the throw or the openness of the field doesn't have anything to do with whether the fault can be advantageous. The advantage comes from not trying to hit the mark properly in the first place, or not trying hard enough.

Throw 10 times where foot placement doesn't matter, then 10 times where you're focused on planting in exactly the correct spot and then try to say it makes no difference. It absolutely does.

While it may be harder to do I don't think it is as hard as it sounds. In my opinion, I don't think it is any different than teeing off, especially with an open shot like Stokley's.

NO, not instant replays"

Like i said, takes way to long.

But these where the world championships, the most important tournament in disc golf.
A PDGA Official stands right next to the throwing player, there must be something he can do.

The calls that were made, are at least questionable, most likely wrong. They changed the outcome of the entire round and tournament. To much power to the players imho.

I posted this same comment to his facebook page:

Could you imagine if mainstream sports allowed other players to officiate the rules. Like say if wide receivers could call their own pass interference or defensive linemen could call holding. Maybe it is time to have officiating involved in such a high-profile tournaments. One for each group to apply the rules accordingly. Let the players play and not worry about infractions.

Good point.

The Spirit of the Game

Disc golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of disc golf.

From the beginning of the PDGA competition manual...

Courtesy and Sportsmanship are quite debatable in this and the Hokom situation at Worlds.

Yeah, so the PDGA official change players warning, but can't actually make a decision on voracity of an infraction called by competing players? Makes zero sense.

And by the way, let's not let this be an argument about whether foot faults on those kinds of shots should be revised in the rulebook or not. This should be about whether or not Stokely committed foot faults according to the PDGA rulebook on the throws in question.

I don't believe he did, but it is tough to tell from video. I do believe it was excessive continuing to call them, but that is on those players. Every single person involved has a reputation, and I can certainly believe there was some intention behind what happened.

From the beginning of the PDGA competition manual...

Courtesy and Sportsmanship are quite debatable in this and the Hokom situation at Worlds.

^This. I posted in the Worlds thread on this topic, but let me sum up:

PDGA completely dropped the ball at Worlds, at different ends of the spectrum.

We will hold up play for late players IF the player is the leader and suffered what is considered enough of a tragic circumstance. Paige and other players wanting to wait are obviously being Courteous and showing Sportsmanship. If Cat or anyone wanted to play on and not wait, the rules support them.

And (according to Stokely) Rules Officials will call foot faults/give warnings on players without being asked or addressed on the ruling, then announce their impartiality on previously called infractions. This is more egregious than PB and KC waiting until the final round to start calling repeated/multiple foot faults, though the rules support them as well. Gamesmanship is one thing, and certainly a legal tactic, but is the complete opposite of Sportsmanship.

This is more egregious than PB and KC waiting until the final round to start calling repeated/multiple foot faults, though the rules support them as well. Gamesmanship is one thing, and certainly a legal tactic, but is the complete opposite of Sportsmanship.

Ummm ... no, the rules absolutely don't support them, and if you can prove that they waited to call them, that's grounds for DQ.

Everyone on this card should be ashamed of themselves besides Stockley of course. The official should've penalized those calling foot faults for unsportsmanlike conduct and ruled those foot faults collusion. I know it's not possible to always have officials making calls in every tournament, but I've always hated that players have to make the calls atleast in majors. You can't change the rules in the middle of a tournament, but if players are abusing and exploiting the rules I feel officials have full authority to make the ruling in support of the integrity of the game.

Latest posts