• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand approaches and discs.

Nice bump ;)

After playing BH only for 20y i have slowly started to throw FH after a hard winter of FH training. .
I basicly only use FH when i need to get right at the end of the fligth . . so i only FH Predators and Forces, and i throw them fine in the 150-250range. . over that and it hurts and i loose accuracy

I´m still really BAD at FH from 150feet and in. . on short FH i don´t get any spinn on the disc and i wobbles alot...it´s hard to throw FH short

Nice bump ;)

Yes there has been a rash of necrobumps lately.

I´m still really BAD at FH from 150feet and in. . on short FH i don´t get any spinn on the disc and i wobbles alot...it´s hard to throw FH short

Suggestion: Try throwing putters with just your wrist and fingers. Mostly just popping the disc with your fingers. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how far you can toss a FH with no arm. Accurately, too, because few moving parts.

Caveat: I'm not a FH distance guy, but FH approaches are super-useful. Super-OS and super-fast discs not required.

Give it a try, I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

Zone. Saved me 6+ strokes over 9 holes yesterday. Soft X Chally for straight stuff.

I FH approach Tridents for skips, Breakers and PA4s if I don't want fade.
I throw all FH with a split grip, a holdover from ulti days. For approaches I kind of let my wrist flop around and move the forearm forward on a plane and kind of stop the motion to get the snap forward.

Since I'm sure the OP has been waiting on the edge of his seat, I'd like to solve his dilemma: get a Hornet, dude! Although that has come and gone since this thread died. Nowadays, I think my recommendation would be to find a max weight, relatively flat, Buzzz. I think Z, Big Z, or ESP could all work.

It was refreshing reading through this thread before deciding to necrobump. Nowadays I hear people jump straight to forehanding Drones, Gators, Zones, Harps, and the like, as the OP was way back in 2008. So, come on, people, who's forehanding the Buzzz or other neutral discs? How far out do you use them, and what kinds of lines?

I'm predominantly forehand and my 177 Z Buzzz is my goto midrange. Its also had periods of being my putter. If I remember to keep the nose down, I can get a nice laser beam out of it. Otherwise it has a predictable fade and can be used for Anny or Hyzer. Im relatively new so my max distance is 200/250.

I can take any disc my BH friend uses and it works just fine for me. Although it doesn't always seem to work the other way. But that is more form issues.

Otherwise the only real difference is the bead. I have a Champion super Stingray that has a large bead and FHing it repeatedly rips the hell out of my hand. My big Z Archer feels just fine though. Big sharp beads are the devil!!! HAHA!!

But for the record, my other favorite FH discs:
DX undertaker, Big Z Undertaker, DX Valk, Wraith, Opto Diamond, Mako3, TL3, Gstar Starfire

I would recommend more overstable putters and mids. I use an ESP Zone and my go to putter, an Eraser Wizard for most approaches, depending on distance. A lot of people I play with are FH dominant players, but have trouble not turning over a forehand approach. The zone is good because it doesn't have a lot of glide and doesn't turnover easily. I also carry a DD Lucid Bard and Westside VIP Tursas for longer approaches(200'+) that require a trickier line.

Since I'm sure the OP has been waiting on the edge of his seat, I'd like to solve his dilemma: get a Hornet, dude!

Alas poor hornet, I knew it well...

who's forehanding the Buzzz or other neutral discs? How far out do you use them, and what kinds of lines?

I use an Ace Race Sol (ESP) for FH approaches where I want to delay the fade. I used to try to FH flex a zone if I was trying to get a straight but short and/or soft approach, but since adding the sol, I use that for FH approaches in the 30-100 foot range because over that interval, I can get a very straight low speed flight with only a slight fade at the very end. I don't think I use it over 100 ft at all. While the disc is a tweener speed 4 disc, I rarely use it for anything more than a touch shot because I tend to like the feel of my zone better in that range. And above 200 ft on a FH, I like the drone or verdict better, so that leaves an interesting 100-200 ft range where I still would use a FH buzzz, typically when I have enough room to play a slight hyzer.
And I still miss my hornet.

I used to use buzz and wasp for forehand midranges a lot. However once I started throwing the zone I stopped trying to forehand midranges. The zone goes surprisingly far and I have broken in ones for every flight. A zone will be significantly easier to forehand than a wasp or buzz. A wasp was my main flick disc for short forehands for years, and the zone practically replaced it the week I got a zone haha. The pro d and jawbreakers start out straight and will retain that stability for a bit (depending on how often you hit trees hard). But the more premium plastics take a long time to get straighter. I need a new pro d zone about every 6 months, so I carry an esp to break in as well. Now I have a beat Ti zone that goes straight for days. Zone is called a putter by some but it will surprise you how far it will forehand.

I just bought a Berg a couple of weeks ago and it's the best forehand upshot disc I've ever had. I only throw it 150 or so in but for that distance it is dead straight and sits down when it gets there. Great disc!

I'd like to have suggestions for mids that are good for forehands. I don't like DX discs for forehands. They don't come out of my hand smoothly. I haven't tried Pro, but that's because it's the same grippy plastic, and it wouldn't work that well either. I like star plastic, but love discraft's ESP and would probably love FLX also. and anything similar. I need something more stable than a slightly beat in roc and a brand spanking new buzzz. i was thinking a wasp would be good (in ESP), but i've never thrown one. so for someone who has thrown a buzzz as a forehand mid and a wasp as the same, do they work well for that? or for someone who has thrown a buzzz and any other mid forehand, how do those other discs compare to the buzzz?

md3?

serious question. what about the zone makes it significantly easier to forehand compared to a wasp or buzz?

IMO it is because the zone is shallow and has a wider rim width. The zone also has a low shoulder, like height distance from the parting line to top of flight plate is small. The shoulder is where many of the Innova overstable putters fail to be "forehandable"

serious question. what about the zone makes it significantly easier to forehand compared to a wasp or buzz?

I think the shape and overstability. It's smaller diameter with a more forehand grip friendly wing shape. Handles torque a bit better as well so if you have a sloppy release it doesn't throller on you as much.

To the OP, mortar. A domey frontline if you can find one.

low profile, overstable, no bead. Makes it very forgiving. I can forehand a buzzz with some success but a Roc comes out with all kinds of OAT. I guess I just need to practice with beaded discs to correct that. But I have always been very good with the Zone both forehand and backhand

Yeah, the Zone was the first disc that I could get a consistent forehand out of. Perfect combo of a comfortable rim shape and overstability to forgive OAT. It's still my most flicked disc since I'm a 90% backhand player.

Latest posts