• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand grip / extended fingers=pain

Malawi

Par Member
Hi,

So after been practising with extended fingers(fingers further forward on the disc) on a powergrip rhfh i got some pain in the middle finger and arm, its also harder for me to get good distance throws like that.

Every fh grip tip video i seen has said it gives more leverage the more extended your fingers are, i have now changed my grip a bit so that my thumb is above the finger pads instead, well Atleast above index pad.
Feels easier now with better rip.. so i wonder what is the correct position for your fingers and how much distance do i loose to grip with fingers shorter or more Bend?

I think that maybe there is an interaction between finger extension and wrist flexibility. I have started working on being able to flex my hand back farther. If your wrist doesn't flex I don't think the finger extension helps, and depending on how I do it the finger extension makes it harder to flex.

Zero expertise here so don't take my word, but that's how it seems to me.

Every fh grip tip video i seen has said it gives more leverage the more extended your fingers are,

I've seen several videos that show bent fingers. It's all what works best. I think McBeth uses bent fingers for a forehand....I'm pretty sure Nate Sexton does also. I'm not sure what others use for their power forehand shots.

I do know I've switched to bent fingers for my power forehand shots and straight fingers for my precision shots.