• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

forehand vs. backhand

Cradical

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So I've played disc golf for about 2 and a half years now, in which I've always primarily driven forehand. The only time I would throw backhand starting off was on putts. Then I got so I was throwing middle distance backhand with the putter. Now I'm at the point where on most short holes I drive backhand with my putter and on some longer holes I drive backhand with other discs. So i guess I was just wondering, is it true that backhand is just a more powerful way of throwing? I've already started outdriving my forearm drives with my backhand drives and I've only driven backhand for a few weeks. On top of this, backhand seems to be more accurate. Anyway... just looking for some insight.

So I've played disc golf for about 2 and a half years now, in which I've always primarily driven forehand. The only time I would throw backhand starting off was on putts. Then I got so I was throwing middle distance backhand with the putter. Now I'm at the point where on most short holes I drive backhand with my putter and on some longer holes I drive backhand with other discs. So i guess I was just wondering, is it true that backhand is just a more powerful way of throwing? I've already started outdriving my forearm drives with my backhand drives and I've only driven backhand for a few weeks. On top of this, backhand seems to be more accurate. Anyway... just looking for some insight.

seems like you have more aptitude throwing backhand to me. in theory, both forms can go equally far but ive only seen a couple guys who have a similar range with both. personally i can throw about 30% farther backhand than forehand, but ive always thrown primarily RHBH. If i were you id develop that backhand shot and max it out, for range and accuracy sake.

At the pro level distances (>350 ft), throwing a beastly sidearm becomes more about arm strength whereas backhand is a lot more form intensive. So, for most people with average builds, backhand will have a great max potential. If you are throwing < 350 ft (like me...) then comparing the two is moot, as you are throwing FAR from your potential with both of your shots.

633695019019646460-moot.jpg

I'm wishy-washy on this subject. I've always thrown forehand drives for distance but recently am acquiring a backhand distance to rival my forehand. This may be mainly due to using backhand more than forehand. Being around short courses a lot more, I throw putters and mids a lot. They aren't very easy to control forehand so my backhand use is far outweighing forehand.

With the right form, I believe forehand and backhand can be equal, and not just for big muscular people for the forehand. I'm not at all large. As far as accuracy, I think that's just use. I would say I'm just as accurate with forehand as backhand.

I throw both ways, and both have their advantages. I started out throwing backhand, and then gradually picked up the forehand (sidearm) shot over the years. I can actually now throw farther sidearm (425+ w/ star boss) than a backhand (400 ft), but I still use backhand for about 60% of my drives. It's mostly a matter of which way I want the disc to turn at the end.

5 of my aces are backhand, 5 are forehand... I don't really prefer either, it's all situational. Its great to have both shots in my arsenal though, to avoid those tricky long anhyzer shots. Although I will say it does feel great when you really rip a nice backhanded bomb.

I'll agree with what CwAlbino just said, that he's just as accurate with forehand as backhand. All in all, I would say forehand takes less effort to get you where you're going, but for max distance or "pro distance" like 550+ft I would say backhand is the way to go, you can get more of your body into it.

I'll agree with what CwAlbino just said, that he's just as accurate with forehand as backhand. All in all, I would say forehand takes less effort to get you where you're going, but for max distance or "pro distance" like 550+ft I would say backhand is the way to go, you can get more of your body into it.

:) sounds about right. Inside of 400-450' is likely equal for forehand and backhand. For massive bombs greater than 450', backhand would be the ticket. I just have not reached that mark yet, I'm still struggling to hit over 400' on a regular basis on both. I know you just said 550+ but I think 450 would be the starting point of backhand out performing forehand. See above bolded statement

i think its good for noobs to start off forehand as it is easier to get distance that way when just starting out, plus there less likely to get good at forehand if they start backhand.

i recently just starting driving forehand and can throw just as far as my backhand, the reason i started thowing forehand for stuff other than fairway/mid/approach is i just cant get my rainbow anny too far past 300ft so i was limiting my bird opportunities on lefty holes. I think its great to do both and can help make up for lack of big d , but i still prefer backhand as fore is to angle sensitive.

I throw both ways , but on control courses I use the forehand more, because I have WAY more confidence in my ability to hit the line I am aiming for when throwing forehand. I like the fact that I can watch the spot all the way through the release. I do agree that the greatest potential distance wise will be with the backhand though. My bh anny shot sucks so the forehand is a really nice option for my game,

I started throwing RHBH and got to a point where I was thowing 250 consistently. I then tried RHFH for those right turning shots. I got decent distance (not as far as backhand), but I must have been doing something wrong because my arm would hurt a lot after just a few throws. Therefore, I started throwing LHBH and I actually got almost the same distance as RHBH, except my accuracy was a little off.

Now, I usually throw RHBH and only use LHBH when I need it. I rarely use RHFH, but if I need a tight fit going right, I can usually pull it off. Although, I have done LHFH once (it was seriously my only shot wedged between a small tree and a bush) and it went about 70 ft to about 10 ft from the basket.

I believe that backhand has to do more with gettting your body into it as per what CWAlbino said and forehand has more to do with arm speed and strength. I am now hitting 280-300 ft consistently with a few drives spilling into 350 ft and it will probably get much better with more time. With forehand, I am getting 250 ft on a great throw. I have extremely powerful legs (was squatting 450+ lbs. when I was lifting for football) and a powerful chest, but my arm speed and strength are lacking. Therefore, I can tranfer that power into the disc, but I need to increase my arm attributes to get those 400+ drives.

I will still continue to work my forehand game with both arms in practice fields because I think it is cool to have RHBH, LHBH, RHFH, LHFH and the overhead throws (tomahawk and thumber with right hand of course) in your arsenal. I just need to figure out how to throw more forehand shots without hurting my arm so quickly.

i think one thing thats sometimes overlooked about forehand throwers is the trajectory in which they throw, some of them are releasing almost two feet lower to the ground than backhand throwers.

for me i get a lot more distance out of FH shots. i still can drive BH and i putt and midrange BH normally. i just cant get more than 200 or so on my BH drives.

I don't know if I agree with the idea that it is better for n00bs to start off forehand. My buddy and I both started playing last spring. I would throw forehand because it was not that difficult to get results almost immediately. He played with one disc, a QMS millenium ( or something like that) and developed good form RHBH by learning to drive that disc well. He is a few strokes ahead of me at this point because he is slightly better with his RHBH drives. I switched to backhand about two months ago and max out at about 320. he is throwing 350 +. On our home course that 20-30 feet gives a much more manageable put as every hole is a par 3. It is nice to have a forehand in my arsenal though.

for me i get a lot more distance out of FH shots. i still can drive BH and i putt and midrange BH normally. i just cant get more than 200 or so on my BH drives.

Yeah I used to be in that same boat. It all started when I decided to throw my putters at the shorter holes. After that I could throw my putter to about 250, and started throwing drivers that way. Now it seems like my backhand throws roughly the same as my forehand, which could also be partly because the courses I play now only have a few holes over 350, which is the distance my forehand likes.
I guess I just figured that since I'm 5'9", 145 pounds, that my forehand would always just blast way past my backhand. But now I'm seeing that it isn't really the case.

Hm now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the fact that I throw about 48 backhand shots and 6 forehand shots a round at these super short courses makes it so my forehand doesn't get properly warmed up. Hopefully soon I'll be able to play a longer course where distance is needed soon :(.

I throw backhand out to about 275', but I can throw backhand to about 365', so for me I always throw backhand for distance, forehand is for specialty shots and getting out of trouble for the most part for me. I've played a couple tournaments with forehand dominant players, and it definitely seems much harder on the body, those players were tired at the end of the first round and had a much bigger dropoff in the second round than the backhand dominant players.

Work'em both and use them to your advantage. Having both clockwise and counter-clockwise shots opens up all kinds of options. For example, it's really nice to have a RHFH when you have a dogleg to the right with OB on the left.

I need to do some more focusing on forehand. I really have no forehand game at all. Unless it is a crazy dogleg right, I can usually turn over a disc or put big anhyzer on it to make it do what I want. I think rollers and forehands are a good thing to work on for the next year

I have thrown LHBH since I started, and have always had issues with short, tight, holes that have a hard left turn. I tried throwing LHFH years ago with little luck. I had no control on fade and/or trajectory. I also had major issues with my shoulder and elbow killing me just after a few shots. Recently, after some rounds in Dallas with some RHFH friends, I started trying forehand again, but with a modified throw. Amazingly, I found my control for this style of throwing. I am still very much LHBH dominant, but in tight fairways(especially ending left), I prefer forehand shots.

On a similar note, I am still having issues finding my distance throwing LHFH without f-ing my elbow/shoulder. When I try to throw for the chains, I think I revert back to my old FH throw. Any advice on how to lengthen my LHFH shot without killing my arm?

Latest posts