• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found some mega bright LEDs at frys

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I bought some stuff for night golf at the rat shack last week and I was not thrilled with the light output.

We went to Frys tonight and found some LEDs with the warning "Do not look into LED, could cause permanent damage" :clap:

They are expensive, 5 are 19 dollars but they are MOFO bright...10 candela where most are fractions of a single candela.

The standard LEDs at radio shack were 26mcd and these are 10000mcd.

They do need a resistor or you will eat your battery and probably fry the LED too but a little 1/4w resistor adds nothing to weight...in fact it added the same 4g as not using one...the tape and battery is where the weight is.

I also scaled down to a 2016 battery because it is thinner, I have an LED and battery running right now so I can see how long they last so I will report back on that.

Here are the part numbers if you have a Fry's near you:

Linrose B4304H91 5 pack LED $18.99
QW162-25 620 ohm 25 pack 1/4w 1.99
2016 Battery 1.49

Again it is pricey but these LEDs are BRIGHT. I didn't like the 2-LED setup because they always seemed to have a sketchy connection.

can u post a pic of the set-up with the resistor? i have some radio shack LED's and they suck!

Step-1 Gather your parts, Superbright LED, 1 620ohm resistor, some electrical tape, some clear duct tape, 1 2016 battery.
attachment.php

Step-2 Wrap the positive (longer) lead with one of the leads of the resistor, if you want you can solder it.
attachment.php

Step-3 Wrap that rascal in electrical tape to prevent shorting
attachment.php

continued next post...please wait to post until complete. :)

Attachments

• DSC09864.JPG
    DSC09864.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC09865.JPG
    DSC09865.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC09866.JPG
    DSC09866.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 154
Step-4 Bend the resistor lead over on top of the taped one, you can bend it to make more contact with the battery.
attachment.php

Step-5 Place the battery between the positive lead and negative, tape that sucker to the center of the disc, make sure you got a good connection (light doesnt flicker)
attachment.php

Behold!
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC09867.JPG
    DSC09867.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC09868.JPG
    DSC09868.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC09869.jpg
    DSC09869.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 148
Hopefully that explains it well, I am used to posting electrical stuff on audio DIY forums so I am not used to step by step on stuff like that.

i bought 5mm leds i believe and some 3v cr2025 batteries. so far ive been using these for the past month or so. i love em! i dont know if these are the "ultra brights" but theyre pretty damn bright without a resistor.

specs:
intensity:7000mcd
viewing angle:30 degrees
FW current: 25ma
FW supply: 3.3v

Yeah 7000 is pretty bright.

LEDs are always supposed to have resistors but I think watch batteries have such low juice that they wont hurt them...it might prolong battery life but I don't know yet.

Mine has been burning for 4hrs straight now with no change in light.

There are:
10000mcd
20 degree
20 ma
2.2v

Yeah 7000 is pretty bright.

LEDs are always supposed to have resistors but I think watch batteries have such low juice that they wont hurt them...it might prolong battery life but I don't know yet.

Mine has been burning for 4hrs straight now with no change in light.

There are:
10000mcd
20 degree
20 ma
2.2v

I took Electronics in high school, but I don't get the 20 degrees part. What does that mean?

This is how mine looks without a resistor, standing about 4' from the wall.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC09870.jpg
    DSC09870.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 135
The degree is the angle of viewing, the light output drops off at higher angles but is still visable.

The degree is the angle of viewing, the light output drops off at higher angles but is still visable.

Ok, that makes sense. I did some work with LEDs back in the day, but I had never heard that term. I guess I had always thought of them as only seen from the top down.

i wish i would have seen this before i got my bolt on lite. it made my orc really darn understable, it turnd into a roller and i don't know how to throw rollers.

Thank you for posting this. I haven't played a night round yet, but its on my list of things to do, and I like this idea for putting lights on the disc.

They have a glow round every Tuesday here and this will be the first time I partake.

I might take the discs out tomorrow with the batteries taped on just to see if it makes them flippy.

none of my discs were flippy. but i center them. im guessin if you off set them somewhere it might effect the flight somewhat. ive been playing with mine for a month now atleast 2 night rounds a week and 1 on the weekend. no problems with them flipping and iv put them on orcs,wraiths,firebirds,stalkers,clear magic