• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Friction Gloves and Knockoffs

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
To be fair, I bought both, the real deal Friction Gloves Disc Golf Gloves and these knockoffs because I wanted to play around in the winter. I broke my shoulder a few months ago and though I've gotten to play a few rounds, I wanted to play more. The weather didn't warrant me needing gloves just yet, but I decided I wanted to try the gloves out just to see how they felt holding a disc.

They felt fine.

I mean, you are supposed to size them sorta small so that you really can get a feel through them and yeah, with the gloves on, I had no problem gripping the disc either forehand or backhand.

And that was when I realized how crappy weaksauce my grip had been all this time.

I hated throwing putters backhand because the fan grip or modified fan grip always gave me a blister right on the second knuckle of my middle finger between the middle finger and index finger as the disc rubbed right off of it when I threw. I switched to all power grip early on because I was frustrated by that pain, even though I would get much better throws with that fan grip.
But now with the glove, omg I am loving to throw my challenger and my woodchuck putters.

So the thing is, I actually really like the knockoffs so much that I haven't even tried the name brand ones yet. Just saving them for...a rainy day :p

Seriously though, I'm kind of amazed.

I have used a Friction Glove a few times in serious rain events. I honestly don't have too many grip issues, even with a wet environment. But, they are terrific. They are easy to use, significantly improve grip and give you time back that would be used in keeping discs dry and all the wiping.

I have used a Friction Glove a few times in serious rain events. I honestly don't have too many grip issues, even with a wet environment. But, they are terrific. They are easy to use, significantly improve grip and give you time back that would be used in keeping discs dry and all the wiping.

But in snow the discs might still have to be brushed off if they have enough snow to cause odd grip issues or change the flight of disc. Still would not need to be wiped off all the way as when using other non grip gloves or gloves with not enough grip on them.

^To my above post I know as I use some UA General sport gloves for disc golf as well as original purpose of winter running in spring or early fall when I wanted to play disc golf. The Gloves have the UA logo in mini all on the grip side yet I still had to remove snow/snow ice from the disc if it built up too much but I did not need to completely wipe off disc.

^To my above post I know as I use some UA General sport gloves for disc golf as well as original purpose of winter running in spring or early fall when I wanted to play disc golf. The Gloves have the UA logo in mini all on the grip side yet I still had to remove snow/snow ice from the disc if it built up too much but I did not need to completely wipe off disc.

So do you use gloves anytime there's snow? I don't on my throwing hand ever. Rarely my off hand either. I'd be interested in trying some but I just don't know. :\

So do you use gloves anytime there's snow? I don't on my throwing hand ever. Rarely my off hand either. I'd be interested in trying some but I just don't know. :\

I used to use convertible mitten gloves so I could grip the disc but they were a pain in the butt so when I got these general sports gloves I used them, they are a size too big but that is nice for deep winter so I can have the cheep stretch gloves on under them for more warmth. Yes I have used them for deep winter disc golf when I played once or twice. I have other gloves for running too but they will not work for Disc Golf, not enough grip to them.

I have a fisherman's two finger glove, I got for the winter months to see if it would prevent cracking around my thumb (skin right at the edge of the nail). I can loosen my grip, and still get a great audible snap. Anyone notice an increased spin? Ordered another pair of Friction gloves to start working with them, because I think they might allow for a looser grip, and for me, maybe a more fluid swing, with still a decent snap (mainly doing this because I'm having some tendonitis issues right now.)
5c089c21b003dc31618dc0da-2-large

Those fishing gloves are interesting. I've never seen those before. I too get that cracking around my thumb and it sucks. I'm going to have to check these gloves out.

Those fishing gloves are interesting. I've never seen those before. I too get that cracking around my thumb and it sucks. I'm going to have to check these gloves out.

Don't know they're durability yet, only a handful of rounds, but they were cheap (10 bucks or so.) Going to try them back to back with the Friction Gloves and if they take the same amount of adjustment, then I might start using them both all the time. Friction in the winter, and these fishing two finger one's during the summer.