• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Fury vs. Amp

Wreck

Par Member
I know, I know...people hate these threads, but I am really having a hard time choosing.

For reference, I throw LHBH and RHBH. Make drives are around 380. I throw PDs and Rogues as my other drivers. Stalkers and Preds for Fairway shots. Lost my River and Leo.

Thanks for helping me make decisions.

I carry both. I find the Fury(Opto) to be a bit less understable than the Amp and somewhat longer with more glide. I use the Fury more as a downwind distance driver, and the Amp for specific LtoR lines. I'll allow my Amp to see trees. My Fury isn't getting near a tree.

Haven't thrown the Fury but I got nothing but love for the Amp. I would suggest picking this disc up, it took me awhile to fully appreciate the disc but now that I do, it's fantastic. It's an understable disc that can truly fight the wind. Thrown flat and the disc goes out to the right and ends with a small fade, slight anhyzer and the thing booms to the right before coming back ever so slightly. It's perfect for what I want. Hope that helps.

I find my amp to be GREAT for when i need a disc to do the opposite of what a disc is supposed to do RHBH, i get a turnover that looks like i threw LHBH when really i throw RHBH, its a strange thing.

I gave an amp to my left handed buddy and he hits lines left handed that i hit right handed with my Volt.

The amp is very easy to control for tight turnovers, it can go straight for a bit before it turns, which is what i look for and REALLY like compared to some other under-stable fairways out there.

The amp has a little less glide than something like a river, but i also like that because it adds more control and wind resistance to your arsenal.

If you have the money, get both and pick one after a few rounds, then sell the other one on the market place.

oh yea, like all MVP fairways, it will have a bit more of a shallow rim, which i like for easy releases and since the rims are the same on all the MVP fairways it makes it easy to quickly pick up on a Volt or Shock in the future if you want to try more MVP, which i know you will once you try an Amp :)

Last edited:
It depends on what you want these discs to do.

I have a 169g GL Fury and a 171g Neutron Amp. The Fury is easier to turn and will fade back less. I can get my Fury to hold an "anhyzer" line a lot farther then I can with the Amp. But the Amp will fly straighter and have a more predictable fade. Fury definitely has more glide (IMO)

I am using the Fury as my US Fairway while the Amp sits in my trunk. I am using a Lucid Escape as my stable Fairway - for today..... Next time I shank the Escape I will probably switch.

At your power level both are going to turn. I would use them for downwind or controlled turning shots - but there might be overlap a different combination wouldn't have

The Fury is effortless to throw on numerous lines. Glide for days. In my brief experience with the Amp, it took more effort to do the same.

At the same time, it depends on your throwing style. The Fury is a finesse disc and likes a smooth toss. If you throw with sheer power then the Amp might be better.

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more of a response from MVP fanboys. I will say, the Fury is sounding sweeter and sweeter.

IMO if you want truly understable the amp won't be that disc for flippy shots. Its a great hyzer-flip or slow turn-over disc but not really understable enough IMO to consider it consistently workable like many similar compared fairway drivers. There are many times it would be nice if the amp was a few speeds slower. Something about the unique low speed fade which makes the amp different and really a good as well as bad thing about it.

I may have missed what you were specifically looking for, but your distance is almost exactly the same as mine. I love the amp I have. It is so easy to predict.

Big anny; throw it anny with height. Big turn that will come back; throw slight hyzer and adjust for height. Max D; medium hyzer and rip it, the disc will do the work. Arrow straight hyzer flips to 350', <10' high; light hyzer at 80%. It'll do almost anything, if you work with it.

This is practically a volt with less hss. It flies like a nicely seasoned neutral control driver. I initially threw avenger ss's for this slot, but the amp flips more reliably. It does need a decent rip to get it to flip from any more than 20° hyzer, but I'm assuming you wouldn't throw an amp on a turnover on a line less than 200' anyway.

I have not thrown a fury much, but it was more hss than the underworld imo, which for me was less predictable to flip.

Haven't thrown the Fury....but I like the Amp. It doesn't have a ton of glide and it is like a beat stable disc...And by that token it still does it's job across wind conditions, which is something that most glidey understable discs cannot.

i think a lot of people have the early 1st runs of the amp still, i just got an order in a few weeks ago and the amp is more flippy now, not sure if people are wimps or what, but i can flip my Amps to burn easily if i try.

You just looking for a good Hyzerflip Straight disc and a great turnover disc?

This is what I use for that slot. They cover distances from 280ft to 400ft.

For Shots in the Leopard Range I use a Discraft Elite X Stratus. 280ft to 330ft

Then it's the MVP Amp. 340ft to 370ft

Then it's the Discmania TD2(Fever) 380ft to 400ft.

I'm not trying to tell you what to get,but a Stratus,Amp and TD2(Fever) will have you covered.

I posted this on the Discmania website about the TD2(Fever)

I've been throwing the TD2 for about 2 months now and it still throws the same as the day I bought it. The durable S-Line plastic is great for a disc like this. It means you get a consistent shot time and time again.

I use this disc as my Hyzerflip to straight/Turnovers. If there is a hole that is around 370 to 390ft that ends right,I'm grabbing my TD2 everytime. I can nail some pretty good rollers with it as well.

I don't understand why more people don't throw this disc as it is excellent at what it does.

I would recommend this disc to a beginner for sure. They would really get some easy distance with it. Heck I would recommend it to anybody as it's just an awesome disc.

Another Good thing about the Stratus,Amp and TD2(Fever) is all 3 of them are good at tunnel shots with minimal effort. You still get some booming distance.

I've never Thrown a Fury before,but going by the flight charts it looks like a more Glidey,Faster Valkyrie.

This is my 2 cents. :D

Well timed comment sir! As an M's fan I'm overjoyed. As for the discussion... there shouldn't be one. The Amp and the Fury are not in the same class. Fury zeems to both turn and fade more for me. Maybe mine is using ped's.

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more of a response from MVP fanboys. I will say, the Fury is sounding sweeter and sweeter.

It's because very few of us have thrown both discs. I've never thrown a Fury either, but it sounds like a good disc. Maybe not as good as an Amp...

i think a lot of people have the early 1st runs of the amp still, i just got an order in a few weeks ago and the amp is more flippy now, not sure if people are wimps or what, but i can flip my Amps to burn easily if i try.

I must be in this category (early 1st run) of Amp. Maybe I'll order both (new run Amp and Fury in GL) and do a comparison.

Latest posts