• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Geezer bag

TKWolverine

Birdie Member
I'm 64 years old and max out at about 300 ft. If you were to help me put together a bag, what are some discs that you think "every geezer should have?" We're starting from scratch, so don't bother asking me what I'm throwing now. Also, I'm not asking each of you to fill out a complete bag for me. Just suggest a disc or two that you think might be helpful and I can put the pieces together.

Last edited:
Comet
Mako3
River
Jade
I'm almost 50 and throw or have thrown these regularly.

Mids and putters are your personal choice. Geezer arms can usually get any of these discs up to speed, it is more about finding a few that fit your play.
I stay away from a lot of super high speed stuff. As a geezer, I don't really have the arm to make use of the flight characteristics of most of this stuff. Though I do throw some less stable high speed, King, Crank
Fairway drivers work really well for me. Saint, Volt, Undertaker, Underworld. Geezer on brother.

Hello,

I carry a mixed bag of brands; I picked them by how they perform for me rather than brand preference. So, I have Axiom/MVP, Innova, Discraft, Latitude 64 and DGA. What they all have in common though is their weights (137g-160g for drivers and fairways, 160g-165g for mids and 168g for my putter). Most are understable to stable although I do carry a couple of stable to overstable discs for wind and predictable hyzers. I also look for discs with a high glide rating to get as much carry as I can when throwing.

Practice technique to maintain your distance for as long as you can although we do lose some as we age. Very important to practice mid approaches, trouble/recovery shots and putting since getting better at these will compensate for the distance loss to a point.

Doing this has kept me in the ballpark with the younger folks. I'm 58 and have no intentions of slowing down any time soon.

Good luck!

I'm years from Geezer, but do qualify for 'Masters' at 46yo. I'm also just scraping 300' range.

For mids...
Mako3
Roc3

For fairway drivers
FD
starlite Sidewinder (may actually be classified as a DD)

The Mako3 and FD are both nicely neutral discs, where the Roc3 is a great overstable mid. Sorry to say that I don't have a good recommendation for an overstable Fairway Driver. Still working on that one myself, although my Lucid Thief is doing pretty well there at the moment.

Not a geezer by physically shot enough to be past geezerdom. :\ I use almost all Vibram. Used to be a mix of Innova fairways, Anything Lat and selected MVP with a Vibram Trak and Ascent. Now its all Vibram with one or two Lat mids. Some around here call Vibram old man discs....so be it. I can make them work easily.

I get my best results out of soft Traks and Laces for distance. Ascents and Arch work almost as good for me. Trying to unlock the Unlace at the moment. FWIW

Look at my sig below to see what I throw. Many of those might be good for you. The putter is a personal thing, but beyond that I would commend the Buzzz, the Panther, the TL, and the Sidewinder.

Star Sidewinder for when you want to work on airing one out. But at 300' of power, you won't be getting much out of it. And you don't need to to tear courses up.

Star Teebird and Pro Leopard will cover almost all your driver needs. When the Leopard gets a little flippy, put a Star Leopard (Or Leopard 3) in the middle.

DX Roc and X Comet. Get a KC Roc when your DX loses it's fade.

Get two of whatever mildly overstable putter feels good in your hands -- putt and throw upshots with them both until you know them inside out.

You are golden for a year or more if you just start there.

I play with a 65 year old Geezer. We both have been playing since the 80s, he just discovered the Stratus and loves it.
His is like 145g but he isn't maxing out at 300, much less. He's a 2x cancer survivor and has only been back at it for 1-1/2 years. So you might do better with one that is a bit heavier.

Bio Thief. I can throw it much further with lots of turn. But when I need to hit a gap and go just over 300, I prefer to throw this instead of powering into a mid. The flight is very little turn and very little fade. I am talking 10 feet in both directions for a net neutral flight. This might work well for you as a go to driver.

I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. I can consistently get my StarLite Terns out to 310 on the practice field and Blizzard Destroyers about 325 on a good throw. What is helping my game most now is learning to flick a Zone. I just ordered a Harp this weekend since I read that is pretty good for flicks as well.

thumbs up to the Harp! great for Flick approach shots and BH hyzers as well, I just love the grippiness of the medium Harp as well as the Big Bead feel

There is a guy in his 60s on our league and though he maxs out around 275' he consistently shoots well, right around 5 over. He throws his River and Roc3 really well as well as his Zero-G Quasar that seems to work for anyone who throws less than 325'. He also bags a Starlite Wraith that seems to work very well for Hyzers. Putters and Mids are mostly based on personal preference but anything that is straight to slightly overstable will work, and you should probably have an understable mid as well. Putters for example might be BB Aviars, Wizards, P2, Judge, Warden, Ion, Proxy, Envy, Rigde, Challenger. Stable mids would be Roc, Roc3, Buzzz, Truth, Emac Truth, Claymore, Ibex, Shark, M3, Spider, Atlas, Skeeter, VRoc, MD1. Understable mids would be Comet, Kite, Panther, Mako, Mako3, MD, VCobra, Wombat, Warrant, Evidence, Buzzz SS, M4, Metor, Stratus. I might also suggest a FD as well as a Pro Leopard with a TeeBird as well for fairways though an Eagle would work well on place of the TeeBird. I would stay away from everything speed 10+ and get a Sidewinder after a little while. I would see if you can find some of the above molds to feel up before you buy them, because almost nothing sucks more than buying a disc and having it not feel right in the hand.

I learned early on from older players to throw lightweight drivers whenever possible. Throwing and carrying lighter discs for an entire round is much easier on the old muscles and joints. All of my drivers are 150 grams or less while all of my putters and mid range discs are max weight.

While others here will steer you away from high speed drivers, I will not. It is fun to throw far and I can't do that with a putter or mid.

Please try a Starlite disc or Blizzard Champion disc under 150 grams and don't be afraid to try a sub 140 gram driver, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I would recommend trying at least one of these drivers under 150 grams: Starlite TeeBird, Starlite Valkyrie, Starlite Sidewinder, Starlite Roadrunner, Starlite Mamba or Starlite Tern.

I prefer mid to low 160's (160-166) over the 150 class and lower...but then that is just me. Gives me way more control and doesn't hurt any distance. When I first started playing way back when, all my discs were max weight...which was 177 on P-38's. Once they went away, low 170's dominated until the shoulder injuries started. After they sidelined me for almost a year, I discovered I have way less pain or no pain with the lighter drivers. Putter weight was and still is max weight. Mids are still in the high 160's and low 170's.

Latest posts