• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

General Tourney rules

hklpro

i am going to the Ice Bowl in Ellicott City, MD later this month for a charity tourney. I've played 3 rounds so far and wanted to make sure "serious" tourney players don't get salty over my play. What are the basic rules of tourney golf? On putts we allow out back foot to touch where the disc landed and stretch forward. This seems like the shadiest rule we use.

If someone could paste the general tourney rules or show me to site or leave some rules tips, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Unless the Ice Bowl is sanctioned (most are not), I doubt any hard tourney rules are going to be in effect, much less enforced.

But in a sanctioned tournament, yes, your non plant foot must come down behind the marker to demonstrate balance before you proceed forward to the basket.

Here's the rulebook: http://www.pdga.com/rules

start by reading the rules on pdga.com.

you're putting sounds illegal and will get you called by players who know the rules. Its not them being "salty"....its you not educating yourself

Just be sure to tell everybody on your card that you're new to the sport and this is your first tourney. Most decent people will give you pointers and try to help you out.

you're putting sounds illegal and will get you called by players who know the rules. Its not them being "salty"....its you not educating yourself

This was a little harsh...He's just a new guy wanting to make a good impression on more experienced players at his first tournament by not mucking up the rules.

I know at my first tournament despite it being a very casual and laid back atmosphere, I was less concerned with my score and more concerned with my etiquette and making sure I followed various rules that I don't enforce during casual rounds.

I think this a great idea for a thread a quick refresher on small rules you may have forgot about or etiquette we all should try and observe. Would give first-timers as well as vets a good resource to check out before tourneys.

But in a sanctioned tournament, yes, your non plant foot must come down behind the marker to demonstrate balance before you proceed forward to the basket.
Please point out the sentence in the rules that says that.

You would be suprised on how many people think that you can do this when putting. I've seen a ton of peeps do it...I was even taught this when I first started but I never thought it was right heh.

i am going to the Ice Bowl in Ellicott City, MD later this month for a charity tourney. I've played 3 rounds so far and wanted to make sure "serious" tourney players don't get salty over my play. What are the basic rules of tourney golf? On putts we allow out back foot to touch where the disc landed and stretch forward. This seems like the shadiest rule we use.

If someone could paste the general tourney rules or show me to site or leave some rules tips, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

It won't take you long to read through the rulebook. It's the best place to start.
http://www.pdga.com/rules

Also, let the guys on your card know that it is your first tourney and im sure they will be glad to tell you the basics.

This was a little harsh...He's just a new guy wanting to make a good impression on more experienced players at his first tournament by not mucking up the rules.

I know at my first tournament despite it being a very casual and laid back atmosphere, I was less concerned with my score and more concerned with my etiquette and making sure I followed various rules that I don't enforce during casual rounds.

I think this a great idea for a thread a quick refresher on small rules you may have forgot about or etiquette we all should try and observe. Would give first-timers as well as vets a good resource to check out before tourneys.

Fair enough

General tips

1 - Show up early
2 - Listen at the players meeting
3 - Don't be afraid to ask what the rule is...experienced players will let you know
4 - Don't back into bushes to take a stance
5 - Clear the basket after you putt out
6 - Take your time and don't rush your shots....you will just put more pressure on yourself
7 - Be quiet when others are throwing
8 - Don't advance beyond the player whose turn it is
9 - Use a marker to mark your lie
10 - Have fun

Better?

Just be sure to tell everybody on your card that you're new to the sport and this is your first tourney. Most decent people will give you pointers and try to help you out.

^^^This

Reading the rulebook sucks. It's a good reference to consult for specific scenarios as you start playing more events, but I wouldn't use it to learn the rules initially. Just watch the other players (that look like they know what they're doing) and ask them questions if you're not sure about something. If they know the rules themselves they won't mind teaching you the basics.

I say timg, I think we need a first tourney sticky.

Hklpro, Now lookit here son, let your group know its your first tourney, you can always ask your group if something you are thinking about doing is legal. Is this a legal stance? Even some top pro's will check with the group to make sure. In regard to your question about shady stance, yes thats illegal, always keep both feet behind your disc or marker putting and make sure one of your feet is directly behind the disc. Now since its a ice bowl, its a fun event for charity, and a great experience to learn from and the people are more lax. Have fun boy, wish I could play.

Seems relevant since putting stance is the rule the OP was asking about...

But you and I both know that conversation can take up pages and pages. It would be so easy to fix if PDGA would just state you have to put your foot back down as a demonstration of balance....ah crap....I did it

The are many "decent people" who don't know the rules and will not give the correct information. Every player in sanctioned events (which aren't usually Ice Bowls) should be carrying a rulebook.

It would be so easy to fix if PDGA would just state you have to put your foot back down as a demonstration of balance....ah crap....I did it
The timing is eerie but I've been in the middle of prodding the RC for a decision on this during the past few days. However, that statement is not in the rulebook and would have to be added to the Rules Q&A which still hasn't been revamped yet. The problem would remain on how to handle one legged players? :)

Last edited:
Fair enough

General tips

1 - Show up early
2 - Listen at the players meeting
3 - Don't be afraid to ask what the rule is...experienced players will let you know
4 - Don't back into bushes to take a stance
5 - Clear the basket after you putt out
6 - Take your time and don't rush your shots....you will just put more pressure on yourself
7 - Be quiet when others are throwing
8 - Don't advance beyond the player whose turn it is
9 - Use a marker to mark your lie
10 - Have fun

Better?

I think this is exactly what the OP was looking for when it came to General Tournament Rules.

The are many "decent people" who don't know the rules and will not give the correct information. Every player in sanctioned events (which aren't usually Ice Bowls) should be carrying a rulebook.

But it won't stop them from vehemently defending their understanding of the rules.....I had a guy once who kept threatening to penalize me because I wasn't using a marker disc. I wasn't flipping the disc over, I was just walking up to my disc and shooting.

He actually put a star on each hole he saw me do it as I told him things would get ugly if he marked my score incorrectly. Round ended and he immediately ran to the TD to triumphantly show me he was right and I was wrong and would be receiving 18+ penalty strokes. TD looked at him like he was an idiot and told him to read the rules before he wants to start penalizing others.

Thumber says :thmbup: to that TD

The timing is eerie but I've been in the middle of prodding the RC for a decision on this during the past few days. However, that statement is not in the rulebook and would have to be added to the Rules Q&A which still hasn't been revamped yet. The problem would remain on how to handle one legged players? :)

Ok so for only 99.% of the players it would work. It just takes arbitrary judgment of balance out of the equation

But it won't stop them from vehemently defending their understanding of the rules.....I had a guy once who kept threatening to penalize me because I wasn't using a marker disc. I wasn't flipping the disc over, I was just walking up to my disc and shooting.

He actually put a star on each hole he saw me do it as I told him things would get ugly if he marked my score incorrectly. Round ended and he immediately ran to the TD to triumphantly show me he was right and I was wrong and would be receiving 18+ penalty strokes. TD looked at him like he was an idiot and told him to read the rules before he wants to start penalizing others.

Thumber says :thmbup: to that TD

Wow. What a D-bag! I cant stand people that this.