• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Giant Thumbers (ha, pun)

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
Hooray for double entendre!

I browsed through the Giant/Villain thread. I rummaged through the Tomahawk disc thread. I even wandered off into what I think was a forum for furries (shudder). But I couldn't find anyone's experiences with the Giant (or Villain) as high-speed thumbers. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it out, and had success, failure, perpetual mediocrity, etc.

I also haven't had the change to fondle a Giant, excepting of course this really tall girl in college (which was more like me cowering in a corner). What is the rim width like? I have self-esteem-crushing small hands, so the Predator is what I use now. Flicks and XXXs have rims too wide for my thumb to get under the rim nice and tight.

Thanks for all your help and insight!

Giant has a rim width of 2.3 cm to the Villain's 2.1 according to the PDGA Approved discs pdf. Both are bigger than the xxx's 2.0cm. That's all I've got for yah.

thumbers out there let us know

which is best between these monsters! thumber distances...brag tag is activated.

I was out throwing thumbers with my Giant the other day, just screwing around and while it was definitely longer than my XXX, one thing absolutely stood out...

I SUCK at throwing distance thumbers. :(

YMMV

EDIT: The rim is definitely wider than the XXX

Last edited:
To Op, this is funny. I tried a Predator and really wanted to like/use it for thumbers due to the variety of plastics and its overall versatility. But the XXX is much more comfortable for my weenie hands. I guess to each his own. I have heard good things about the Villain, but have not tried it.

Surprisingly I have gotten good distance out of an Opto River with a thumber. Flight path is different, but that glide does help somewhat on a thumber.

My thu bet is only good to a max of about 275'-300', but I use it more as a line shaper and placement shot. Pick the disc tht is comfortable for you, and learn to manipulate it with different arm angles and heights. I find the control as useful ad any length I get out of it. That is probably why I keep using the XXX. Know it well.

Last edited:
I love throwing thumbers and I soo wanted an all lat64 bag but nothing for me beats a 150esp flick. Very stable, thinner rim, and I am Able to shape so many different lines with it. The xxx is a great thumbers disc however is for strictly distance and even then it is not that much longer tan the flick.

there's a guy up here who uses an Epic for overhands

I think he used to be a baseball player

it's pretty effin awesome watching the flight when he unloads one

barrel roll flipped over to flat and glide out farrrrrrrrrr

still a question of technique though

yeah and can't do those without learning the tuning of them and the wind makes it hard to control flight.

i want normal thumber not crazy full flipping epic.

my advice never get an epic so frustrating.

My experience

I've only been playing since May and have developed a backhand to a consistent 270-280'. However, when I started playing, thumbers came much more naturally. I started with a Star Firebird that I threw right at 280' also. Recently I bought a new Champion Firebird that would not work with my thumber AT ALL. Right before I decided to trade it I gave it one last shot as a tomahawk (which I never tried before) and now throw it on average 300'-310' :thmbup: with great accuracy. I'm always looking for new discs to throw overhand so I'm excited to hear more about these Giants.

I've only been playing since May and have developed a backhand to a consistent 270-280'. However, when I started playing, thumbers came much more naturally. I started with a Star Firebird that I threw right at 280' also. Recently I bought a new Champion Firebird that would not work with my thumber AT ALL. Right before I decided to trade it I gave it one last shot as a tomahawk (which I never tried before) and now throw it on average 300'-310' :thmbup: with great accuracy. I'm always looking for new discs to throw overhand so I'm excited to hear more about these Giants.

I've found that I can max out a tomahawk farther than a thumber, probably due to the fact that you have two fingers gripping the disc as opposed to only one for a thumber.

Personally I use a Flick for most thumber shots up to 300', but if you're looking for a smaller rim I would probably recommend a flat top Firebird... However, like some of the other guys in this thread have said, you could always try the Epic, I have gotten one of those out to 550' with a thumber, but it is a matter of technique as well as disc condition. Once you hit a tree, it's a totally different disc, the plastic is garbage.

I've been using a VIP Giant for OH duties...when I want it to make a slow stable turn and not flip back. For example thrown RH tomahawk, it will start left and slowly flatten out and finish right.

If you throw it at 12:00 straight up and down, sometimes it will land as a cut roller.

I do not get my best distance out of a Giant (or XXX) on an OH shot, but they both are quite predictable.

I have tried everything for thumbers, and also have small hands. My favorite is a Z talon. They are OOP and hard to find but not that expensive. Flat top banshee's work well, but most banshee's have varying levels of dome to them.

yeah and can't do those without learning the tuning of them and the wind makes it hard to control flight.

i want normal thumber not crazy full flipping epic.

my advice never get an epic so frustrating.

I don't understand the epic hate (sorry, I know it's a bit off topic). It's the one disc that I could legitimately get a full roll and glide out of. All my other discs (and this is probably very much so user/technique error) don't roll and MAYBE go 200ft when thrown OH. I never felt I "had" to tune the epic, although the option is there if you so desire. I lost my last one (epic) over a year ago and haven't felt the need to replace since I'm now much more comfortable with both BH/FH shots, and being pretty tall helps when you really have to stretch to get out of trouble. I very rarely get in the situation where I MUST throw an OH shot.

Latest posts