• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow tournaments

crackbeard

First Post!

I'm playing in my first glow tournament on halloween and I was curious if anyone has played them? Enjoyed them? had a different strategy compared to daytime rounds?

Also do the tournaments provide any form of lighting for the discs or is it usually expected to handle that on you own?

Thanks ahead of time

Bring your own glow gear.

Glow tends to be about the most casual of organized play and rarely Pdga sanctioned. Adult beverages and such more common. Format is often doubles.

We run one as an X-Tier, singles, one day round, one night. Season wrap-up, awards, all that stuff. Most fun event of the year.

I'll be running my 5th annual glow doubles tournament in about a month. It's a favorite of many folks. I also attend one in the spring that's usually a big hit.

Thanks for the help guys!

get some of this...
th

and one of these...
th

Have fun:thmbup:

I love glow golf, my home course is more open and ballgolf-like at Catawba Meadows in Morganton than most prefer in NC, but it's awesome for glow golf, tried to get a glow tourney going, but it was done on the fly and only about 25-30 showed, though the city was willing to work with us, even allowed camping. If your looking for a good uv light check out the sporting goods section at Walmart, i bought a 3 bulb uv with a hat clip (I think they have infrared for fishing too) for less than tens bucks and the original batteries lasted years. Personally I like actual glow discs and blacklight as opposed to leds since they kill night vision, Lightning and Gateway have pretty affordable ones (I use an overmold Glow Assassin, Glow Element, and Glow Warlock) along with the Innova DX glow, and if you look online you can find lots of premium Innova CFR and Discraft Le glow stuff on markdowns and x-outs at the right times.

Glow is the best part of the year. First, because it's dark. Second, because no one can remember where all the trees, limbs, bushes and other stuff might be lurking. Third, it's cold, well sometimes. Nothing like scraping frost off your disc when the the temperature drops below freezing in the middle of a round. Lastly, you throw with power to get to a basket 300ft away and well it's so dark you miss judged the distance and threw 50 past the thing. It was 250...... One more thing, You shot looks awesome and them, WHAM, you disc takes a painful turn for the worst into a wooded abyss. Darn funny really.

I have a glow bag, I start throwing those disc only at the and of August so when glow starts I am ready and practiced. Otherwise put glow tape or LEDS on you current bagged discs. The LEDS are nice because your disc is bound to submarine under some leaves to be lost until Spring without them. Flashing lights are easy to find under Oak leaves. Plus they look cool as they fly.

Couple of rules down here as we play. No shining your flash light at anything other than your disc. Point it through the trees at a basket and it will cost you a stroke. If we pick up a disc and can't our your partners we have to re-throw taking a penalty stroke. Most of the time it's from the tee box, drives are the biggest challenge. We are allowed to walk the line to the basket as long as you flash light is off. You can get a better idea of the distance and try to work out a line. Judging distance it a challenge if it's pitch black out on the night you play.

It you use glow disc, get a good 395mn LED flashlight. There is a 100 LEDS light on Amazon for around 10 bucks, I carry two 51 LED flash lights since I lose or break them often and I need a back-up. The 51 LED ones don't handle being dropped all that well. I got a buddy that's running the 100 LED flash light and it works really well. It's crazy bright. Best disc charger I have seen so far. Also check the thing works before you leave the house, no one every remember to bring batteries.

You can buy sticky glow vinyl and any craft store or glow tape. Put some on the top and bottom in case the disc lands upside down. Be sure to get the 395nm flash light listed above. Be sure to clean and dry you disc well before you attach the glow stuff to it. Nothing funnier than see glow tape go one way and the disc go somewhere else. Same with taped LEDS. You walk up to what you think is your disc only to find a flashing LED and some clear packing tape. If you use clear packing tape, buy the good stuff. Quality matters. I sometime run LEDS on glow disc it the Oak leaves thick.

We started glow 4 weeks ago and it will run through March. Kentwood is a weekly club event. Next month TCP starts and we play a different course in the area each week running through March. We get between 30-50 players to show up at each event.

Some event operators will have stuff to sell but it's best to be prepared with you own stuff. The basket are normally lit with glow sticks or LED lighting.

Play in a weekly Glow league for the past 3 years and play in about every Glow tournament offered. This time of year if you want to play disc golf and hold a job you might want to get involved in glow golf. A few pointers and glow etiquette (may vary by area you play)

* Flashlights should only be used to charge glow discs. Use them sparingly as to not mess with peoples night vision, your eyes will get accustomed to the night eventually so the less light you use the better for everyone. Also can be used for lost discs should the need arise.

* No shining the fairways before throwing. Be thoughtful not to charge your disc as others are throwing as to not distract them or blind others watching the flight of the disc.

* UV flashlights only, no "white" light. The best glow flashlight hands down is the UltraFire WF-501b UV LED flashlight with rechargeable batteries. Compact, high quality and charges discs in a matter of seconds.

* Glow discs and glow duct tape work really good as long as you stay above freezing temperatures. Once you get around freezing glow discs don't hold the charge as long as they do in warmer temps.

* LED disc lights work awesome (plain red works best) and makes finding discs easy, especially in the snow. Avoid the MVP lights as they are too bright/too flashy, find some of the standard ones in single color to tape on the disc(s).

Latest posts