• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go Fund Me for PDGA #33 - Tom Monroe

TheOtherBill

* Ace Member *
Damn. I started playing at George ward after a couple of years break. Got my first 'candy' disc from him out the back of his van (orange beast). Was a nice guy and was whipping the youngsters with ease.

RIP

Brahan Springs DGC here in Huntsville is about to be renamed to "The Tom Monroe Disc Golf Course at Brahan Springs"
Brahan is one of the oldest courses in the world, 3rd oldest according to a PDGA source i found. It's also a course Monroe is credited in designing, along with Steady Ed. Sadly never got a chance to throw with him, but did chat with him numerous times at Brahan, and bought some discs from him. Disc golf lost a legend. :cry:

Sad to read this! Played several rounds with him at Northside in Gainesville back in the early 90s, when his van was a frequent sight in the parking lot. Bought much plastic from him, probably still have a few, but I wouldn't know which ones exactly. His grunts on long throws still resound. A class act.

Thanks for sharing that. The old guard isn't doing much MTA these days, but I hope their outdoor lifestyle adds many many more years. Disc golf is nearly what they expected it to some day be, and these guys likely knew it wouldn't happen while they were still young enough to take advantage.

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit"

- Nelson Henderson