• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Good Headwind Mid?

It sounds like you are wanting a versatile or workable mid, not hurricane tolerant meat hook correct? Another disc I would consider is a Shark3. Also longer like a buzzz and surprisingly stable.

If you are looking for a meat hook the Drone really cannot be beat.

If the workable mid is what you are looking for here were my findings.

I bag a max weight BuzzOS in the over stable slot with my truths. It goes left all day even in a stout headwind. Now it beat in to get a little more distance but I still trust it to go left regardless of conditions. A lighter one might do what you are looking for, I had to hit a lot of trees for mine to be more workable. I also dig the Shark3. It is surprisingly over stable without reaching meat hook status. It's a really under rated disc.

I carry a buzzz, wasp, and buzzz os.
They make a great set.
And heavier the better, when asking how will the wind affect it.
a good flat wasp will fight moderate wind.
But if it's really blowing the Buzzz os is what you need

I use a Trident into stiff winds- fairly low glide, very overstable. It will go straight for just as much power as you put into it, then dump left hard.

10 yr Buzzz - still have my first one and it turns nicely into a wind.
Special stable CFR Buzzz - like my 10yr was when new
Z Wasp - main headwind mid. If you want to go one step up from the Buzzz, this is the guy.
Buzzz OS - mostly for flicks, but sometimes I need a sure-er thing on a backhand throw. If you want to go 2-2.5 steps up from the Buzzz, Buzzz OS.

I recently got a Lat64 Pain and it was amazing for me in the wind at BG. Didn't turn over at all and actually still finished with a pretty healthy fade. Really comfortable hand feel as well.

Nebula is the king. I'm sure there are others out there that are nice, but the Nebula is exactly what I like in a headwind mid. It's not super OS like my Drone, so I can use it on more lines. It's non-beaded (beads seem to catch some air). And it's small diameter. The trifecta of headwind midness, imo.

I'd guess the Spider would also be good? I've never really thrown one. And ... you know ... any moderately overstable mid. It's the Golden Age of Mids; there are probably 20+ molds that work great in a headwind.

I'll also say that a KC Rancho Roc is plenty OS for any headwind. But a headwind seems to slow it down more than beadless discs.

I actually recently replaced the Buzzz in my bag with an Ibex. I carry a lighter one that I use if it's not windy, and a heavier one for the wind. I find it to be extremely controllable, and a little less fade than a Buzzz even. It handles a headwind pretty well.

Anyone use a Sentinel or MD3 for this roll?

Yes. Sentinels. With good success. But the good Sentinels are too expensive and too hard to find. Trust me. Not worth it unless you are already committed. And they're longer than true mids -- they inch up on the fairways.

Gators will stand up to anything. So will Drones. So will Zones.