• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good sidearm driver for intermediate player?

Far too many variables to give you much of an answer. Try all the discs you currently own and see what works the best for you.

Learning to throw an understable disc FH will do you much more good than an overstable one that's for sure.

In all fairness this is what the newbie section is for pretty much...

but without any real info in the OP people will just recommended their favorites lol. of course don't hesitate to search things out either!

Didn't see his join date. My bad Noahboas! You can search the threads very easily and it seems like this topic comes up once a week or so (along with many others). If you go into the forums section then go to the Technique & Strategy section you can search it by looking for the Search This Thread option on the right hand side of the page, just under the page #.

I am not an expert on sidearms but i can throw about 300-390 feet on a sidearm. i am mainly rhbh. For me it depends on the power that i am putting on the throw. If i am throwing a short distance i use an overstable mid range.

basically something slightly overstable that gives you some fade at the end if you have bad release on your throw.

My sidearm discs are:

buzz gt- straight shot with minimal fade at the end
flick- wicked overstable but can throw on a super anhyzer shot and have it flip back over
force- max distance drives. i overthrew hole 14 at Mt. Airy forest by 10 feet to take a birdy.

honestly it is what you make it to be. I believe the more overstable the disc the more power you can put on the throw.

innova discs: Max, Monster, Ape, destroyer
trilogy: Giant, World, XXX
discraft: Force, Flick, Reaper, Predator, Nuke OS

As a FH dominant thrower, I only use a Predator and World off of pmorgan's list. Point being, everybody is different and different player's prefer to throw different discs.

As an Intermediate player, are you referring to player rating, general skill set (power, distance, etc.) or something else?

A Surge, Orc or Wraith are all fairly good FH drivers and don't require as much power or arm speed as the high speed extremely OS stuff.

I thinks wraith is a good forehand disc. I throw it and destroyer most of the time but recently I've been throwing a best up nuke first run that been hold lines for some major distance.

most peoples go to forehand discs are usually very overstable and fast but I would suggest learning how to forehand every type of disc. if it must be a driver I would suggest using a champion sidewinder. when u can control that smoothly on any angle u will have mastered sidearms. but I would suggest working on your sidearm with mids and putters because those will make your forehand better faster because they are more sensitive to OAT and wrist roll, they will also teach u to throw hyzers. and when I say mids and putters I mean stable to slightly overstable discs like a beat in roc or comet or buzz or anything else. I would avoid rhynos, zones, gators because those will mask a lot of form issues

I suppose that answer is assuming u don't already throw forehand, if u already do know how to throw mids and putters well forehand I would suggest a champion teebird it is a great disc that can hold up a lot of speed without turning over and is easily controllable on the course for those left to right shots assuming rhfh

Personally, I can only "drive" forehand, i suck at driving backhand so therefore all my discs get thrown forehand.. unless

In my bag i currently have a Champion Mamba, StarTern and a StarKatana.

Mamba does the best for BH, and tomahawks, but it seems like the Tern for me is irreplaceable for my forehand, I have yet to throw a better more stable forehand with another disc.

I've bought and had alot of discs(gave some to friends, lost some)

but in 2 years, Tern is my favorite for forehand, I get the most distance and stable throws

Teebird, DD Thief, Beast

and I tee off quite frequently with my MVP mids axis and vector

Latest posts