• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good snacks during a round

Longest day of the year is actually at the beginning of summer, and this year it was June 20th. Days have been getting shorter since then.

Sidebar: That's astronomical summer, and absolutely correct.

Meteorologists define the seasons differently; meteorological summer is June-July-August. Since the subject is the heat, this seems a more appropriate application. As such, it's still not the "middle" of summer, but it is well into it.

More casually, in the United States, many refer to summer as Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.

None of which matter a lot because, however what you call it, playing all day long on the longest day of the year, when it's generally pretty hot in most places, requires a lot of hydration and some nutrition. Though the former is the real important part---lack of hydration can be life threatening. For most of us, lack of food may be miserable but won't lead to a 911 call; a wide range of snacks will work, to varying degrees. Myself, I rarely carry snacks but when I must, I prefer things that are grazable, a little bit at a time, like trail mix, nuts, or dried fruit.

Thanks for all the suggestions on snacks!!!

I ended up bringing beef jerky, trailmix and making sure I was super well hydrated with water and Gatorade.

Actually finishing the 100 holes was really easy. I did pretty well on the first 50 holes (+3 with only bringing 5 discs to save weight) but after lunch the wind picked up and played worse than I have in a long time (+24 on the back 50)...

Ended up finishing 72 strokes back from the leader :gross:, but won two out of the 4 CTPs!!!

Tons of water and some type of snack mix, I get the stuff at WinCo for a decent price.

For me, I freeze all my bottles the night before. One will be halfway filled, the others will be full. When I pull them out in the morning, I fill the halfway iced bottle with water but not full because when the ice melts, water volume goes up. Keep other bottles cool in an ice chest or something similar and let the sun melt it for you on the course, so you'll always have cold, cold water.

Sidebar: That's astronomical summer, and absolutely correct.

Meteorologists define the seasons differently; meteorological summer is June-July-August. Since the subject is the heat, this seems a more appropriate application. As such, it's still not the "middle" of summer, but it is well into it.

More casually, in the United States, many refer to summer as Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.

There's a bit of editorializing here, but also some facts, expanding on the above:
seasons_zpsgkuteyzz.jpg

because where is a better place for a season summary than in a snacks thread?