• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern Tour – Late Fall Edition

Your pooch will have so much fun at Justin Trails you won't want to leave. I would play both courses though. Big Brother is a large endeavor however. Veteran Hills is also spectacular. You may never see another person while playing at either of these two locations which may be one of my favorite reasons for playing a course. Also both Camden courses I would put in my upper echelon of courses. Hope weather will be with you.

Sounds like JT and Veteran would be right up my alley.

It's been quite a few years since I played Camden I, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near the same tier as II. I remember CI as being a fairly average park course with the bonus of some good elevation. CII is excellent woods golf that was challenging but not overwhelming for me.

Camden II has multiple available pin positions, which make it a wildcard like few other courses I've played. I remember driving out there once, extremely excited to revisit an old favorite, and finding all the pins in the shorts. Possibly one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had on a disc golf road trip.

Still a good course, but it might be worth checking out local pages or calling a local shop like Iron Lion to find out the current layout.

^Good tip. I thought it was always a mix of positions. Didn't know they ever did all shorts. I'd have been really disappointed to drive out there to find that too.

Camden II has multiple available pin positions, which make it a wildcard like few other courses I've played. I remember driving out there once, extremely excited to revisit an old favorite, and finding all the pins in the shorts. Possibly one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had on a disc golf road trip.

Still a good course, but it might be worth checking out local pages or calling a local shop like Iron Lion to find out the current layout.

I have tried to contact ChrisS through Facebook messenger prior to heading that way...
unfortunately, he usually responds after I already returned home from the trip.
I never thought about the Iron Lion though...

Just don't go when Wolfhaley goes, he always attracts rain when plans to play there...

Brown Deer is part of Milwaukee County parks and they all are NO DOGS, with posted threats of ticketing. WTF? We played two of them with the dog, no hassles or tickets, but just a heads up.

Brown Deer is part of Milwaukee County parks and they all are NO DOGS, with posted threats of ticketing. WTF? We played two of them with the dog, no hassles or tickets, but just a heads up.

Don't remember you mentioning a dog in our PMs, when you said "we", kind of figured that would Mrs. ru$por...

Had I known, I could have warned you of the "posted signage"
I have never heard of anyone getting hassled for a behaving, well-mannered dog.

Did you get Brown Deer in before the leaves started coming down?

Don't remember you mentioning a dog in our PMs, when you said "we", kind of figured that would Mrs. ru$por...

Had I known, I could have warned you of the "posted signage"
I have never heard of anyone getting hassled for a behaving, well-mannered dog.

Did you get Brown Deer in before the leaves started coming down?

Lol....we, indeed included Mrs. ru4por....geez, I need to be careful here. Pooch was also part of the, we. Got to play BD yesterday and Dretzka today.

Visiting relatives in Chippewa Falls (already played the Tower Ridge courses):

Lafayette Town Hall Park (3.33) 9
Leininkugel's – Warmup (nr) 6
Leinenkugel's – Main (nr) 18
Mount Simon Park (3.25) 9
Buckrub DGC (nr) 9
Pinehurst Park (2.50) 9

Hoping to sneak out to Minneapolis/St. Paul for a day or two:

Brickyard (3.59) 9
Garlough Park (3.08) 9 = New state! (Minnesota)
Blue Ribbon Pines (4.71) 27 = Minnesota #1, DGCR #9
Bethel University (3.79) 18
Lakewood Hills (3.89) 18
Lambs Creek (3.61) 9

Back to my backyard!

November might not be the funnest time to disc in WI. Depends on the year haha.

Just played the Leinies course last weekend. Lots of fun, pretty rough round the edges, but it is brand new. Fairly taxing hike tho. Brickyard is one of my favorite courses in the area. Really unique. Haven't played the Lafayette course this year, but it was one of my favorite courses in the area when I played it last year. Amazing for a 9er. Lots of tight woods golf, you should love it. I've played a million and a half rounds at Mt. Simon. Was my home course for years. The name is deceiving.....it's almost 100% flat. One basket up on a hillside lol.

Somehow, I haven't played Lambs Creek. I've been to the bar, used to play tavern league volleyball there.....but never disc golf. Shame on me!

Back to my backyard!

Just played the Leinies course last weekend. Lots of fun, pretty rough round the edges, but it is brand new. Fairly taxing hike tho. Brickyard is one of my favorite courses in the area. Really unique. Haven't played the Lafayette course this year, but it was one of my favorite courses in the area when I played it last year. Amazing for a 9er. Lots of tight woods golf, you should love it. I've played a million and a half rounds at Mt. Simon. Was my home course for years. The name is deceiving.....it's almost 100% flat. One basket up on a hillside lol.

Somehow, I haven't played Lambs Creek. I've been to the bar, used to play tavern league volleyball there.....but never disc golf. Shame on me!

I very much enjoyed the Brickyard the couple times I've played it. Last time (last fall I think?) there was a dude mowing hole one. Chatted with him and it seemed like he was the new (maybe self-appointed) caretaker. Anyway course was in great shape and is my probably favorite 9'er, with the two tees and baskets with unique lines has great replay value... I also liked Lambs Creek. I don't remember tee pad surfaces but do remember it being a treacherous hike as wet as it was that day. Fun tight wooded lines on a hillside with a creek that comes into play on a couple holes... That burger I had right before the round might have increased my enjoyment factor though :)

As always I enjoy meeting up with people along the way. Hoping to bag Iowa and Minnesota, which would be states 41 and 42.

This is the wildly optimistic itinerary of courses under consideration. Suggestions and comments welcomed!

Hoping to sneak out to Minneapolis/St. Paul for a day or two:

Brickyard (3.59) 9
Garlough Park (3.08) 9 = New state! (Minnesota)
Blue Ribbon Pines (4.71) 27 = Minnesota #1, DGCR #9
Bethel University (3.79) 18
Lakewood Hills (3.89) 18
Lambs Creek (3.61) 9

It would be my pleasure to throw with you if timing works out when you are in my area. Let me know when you have specific dates in mind and then I hope we can make it happen.

It would be my pleasure to throw with you if timing works out when you are in my area. Let me know when you have specific dates in mind and then I hope we can make it happen.

Fabulous, will do!

Back to my backyard!

I just can't seem to stay away!

But just as warm as San Antonio, right? ;)

We have been in the Milwaukee 'burbs for winter holidays many times, but I have only been up your way in summer. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the run-down on those courses, much appreciated. Apparently we will be able to walk to Lafayette.

Tsk, tsk. I hear Lambs Creek is a fun spin. Just don't let me play it before you do. :D

You have BRP on your list. Depending on your timing (hopefully early weekday morning) that could be great. Leagues there Thursday and Sunday FYI. In any case I can send a message to Ray, he is an incredible host and so personable and just maybe he will join us.

If you can stretch another ~45 min north my friend CE has IMO the the best complex in MN (Chains Edge)...

Also I think Kaposia is better than Lakewood (although I love that course as well).

You have BRP on your list. Depending on your timing (hopefully early weekday morning) that could be great. Leagues there Thursday and Sunday FYI. In any case I can send a message to Ray, he is an incredible host and so personable and just maybe he will join us.

I'm on the road so I'll check the tentative schedule when I get home. Thanks!

If you can stretch another ~45 min north my friend CE has IMO the the best complex in MN (Chains Edge)...

Chains Edge looks like a blast, thanks for the recommendation!

Also I think Kaposia is better than Lakewood (although I love that course as well).

Kaposia is a strong contender.

. . . Let me know when you have specific dates in mind and then I hope we can make it happen.

Plans are very much subject to change, but best guess would be MSP the weekend of November 11th to 12th, give or take a day or two. I will confirm date(s) as the time gets closer.

Thanks again for the offer!

Not sure exactly if you had planned all 36 (2x18) holes at Rolling Hills (plus the 18 hole Labyrinth) or not, but other options include Independence Lake (2x18), NorthRidge Church (18), Lakeshore (2x18, former bolf course), Mary Beth Doyle (18), and Willow (24).

Indy Lake has CJ's close by (convenience store with good disc selection), Lakeshore has pro shop on site.

IMHO - Rolling Meadows (the 2nd full size course at Rolling Hills) tends to be overgrown, and not the most fun to play.

May not be that bad in the, or if it's well maintained, but it generally hasn't been well maintained to this point.

Original Rolling Hills course is a lot of fun, as is the puttingLabyrinth.

Not sure exactly if you had planned all 36 (2x18) holes at Rolling Hills (plus the 18 hole Labyrinth) or not, . . .

I was thinking just the Rolling Hills course, but Labyrinth sounds like a blast. Main drawback is the "no dogs" policy, so probably just a quick round while spousal unit wrangles the pooches.

. . . but other options include Independence Lake (2x18), NorthRidge Church (18), Lakeshore (2x18, former bolf course), Mary Beth Doyle (18), and Willow (24).

Indy Lake has CJ's close by (convenience store with good disc selection), Lakeshore has pro shop on site.

Thanks for suggesting other options! I put Mary Beth Doyle on the list if we only have time for a quick sping. Bunch of the others unfortunately have anti-pooch policies. :(