• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gstar Valk

I have a heavier (over 170) champ valk that I bagged because it was a touch less understable (more stable) than my star and pro. Like Zman, my champ is inconsistent and I dont always get great flights from it. I did pick up a g* expecting it to be valk-ish, but its more stable like many of you are saying... maybe its exactly what I was looking for with my champ.

I've tried pretty much every type of Valk there is except the Gstar. I've actually never thrown a CE Valkyrie either, but I digress.

I'm very interested in the Gstar Valk. I actually really like the domey Star variants in 165-169. Easy to achieve that S flight pattern without turning and burning.

Would I notice much of a difference between this and my 170 glow champ Valkyrie?

I've tried pretty much every type of Valk there is except the Gstar. I've actually never thrown a CE Valkyrie either, but I digress.

I'm very interested in the Gstar Valk. I actually really like the domey Star variants in 165-169. Easy to achieve that S flight pattern without turning and burning.

Would I notice much of a difference between this and my 170 glow champ Valkyrie?

Glow tends to be a little more overstable than regular runs, so I don't think you'd see much difference with the G* Valk. As I've said, my experience with the disc is that it's a touch more overstable than it's Champ/Star counterpart.

Anyone compare a lighter g* Valk vs a light g* Tern? I have a 166 Tern that is perfect for no wind turnover shots and rollers. I picked up some g* Wraiths, also around 166, and they are too overstable for the slot. My beat star Mamba is too understable. Should I just get some more Terns, or mess with Valks?

I have no Gstar experience with either mold but have thrown the Valk forever and the Tern for some time now.

Are you planning on using the Valks for the same "no wind turnover or rollers" or are you hoping for something different with them?

no wind turnover or rollers
This. I have backups in my other slots but only one g* Tern which is perfect, and one Star Mamba which is too beat except for rollers. The (fresh) Tern is perfect for both. I have a stack of Champ Valks which I no longer use but I did in the past. I am just trying to gauge if a g* Valk will be closer to a Tern, or closer to a Wraith.

This. I have backups in my other slots but only one g* Tern which is perfect, and one Star Mamba which is too beat except for rollers. The (fresh) Tern is perfect for both. I have a stack of Champ Valks which I no longer use but I did in the past. I am just trying to gauge if a g* Valk will be closer to a Tern, or closer to a Wraith.
Gstar Valk will definitely be more akin to your Gstar Tern.

I like Valks over terns, but that's just because I'm more consistent with slower discs. And terns have that almost-bead that I don't like the feel of. Valks have that very nice hand feel for me.

Not sure if this thread mentioned it above, but Valkyries still have a seasoning cycle just like other molds. I have one older GStar valk that is at least one point of turn flippier than my other GStars at this point.

If you're just asking Wraith or Tern, then I'd say Gstar valk is more Tern (especially with 160s weight or a few months of wear...)

Last edited:
Anyone compare a lighter g* Valk vs a light g* Tern? I have a 166 Tern that is perfect for no wind turnover shots and rollers. I picked up some g* Wraiths, also around 166, and they are too overstable for the slot. My beat star Mamba is too understable. Should I just get some more Terns, or mess with Valks?
Chris in FL said: Not sure about rollers, but just for throwing, Terns are longer distance for me than Valkyries. Flights otherwise very similar.