• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Guru Discs Contrail

wims

Double Eagle Member
I picked up a really weird, gimmicky disc the other day, the Guru / Sune Sport Contrail, in their safetyline plastic. It's a low weight fairway driver, weighing only between 115g and 125g (the actual weight wasn't penned or stamped anywhere). Guru rates the flight numbers at 6 5 0 2.

The safetyline plastic is the main feature of this disc. I say plastic, but it's actually a silicone blend. It's super soft, much softer than for example g* or SSS. You could roll it into a ball and put it in your pocket. I suppose this softness is why they are marketing this plastic as the safetyline. The plastic incredibly grippy, easily the grippiest plastic I've ever felt. It has a rough rubbery texture, this disc will never slip out of your grip early, even during heavy rain, if your hands are full of oil etc.

This disc has a bit of a radical profile. It has next to no dome and a really high wing with no concave. The tip of the wing has a flat outer section.

Profile (sorry for the horrible pictures)
22KWaKu.png

Here's a picture that is comparing wing height with a Firebird
23yIAQi.png

As for the flight, this thing flies pretty overstable. I have not seen any turn with this bad boy, and it fades quite firmly. Flexes out of anhyzers. The flat top gives this disc very poor glide. I would rate it 6 3 0 3. This disc is too much of a hog to be good for a beginner / child, even tho it's only ~120g

A notice of warning, this plastic is far too grippy to be thrown. Even gripping the disc very loosely will cause you to grip lock. This caused me to use this disc mostly for approaches. It's alright for that, as the plastic makes it stick where it landed. Overall, not a great disc, but it can be fun to just play around with

I thought about ordering some of their stuff but the super low max weights scared me off. Do they fly legit?

Guru has some good stuff, but this disc is more of a gimmick. It's too hard to get a good grip on it. I would stay away from other Safetyline discs

Latest posts