• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf Tortuga: A Comfy PnA

Played a few rounds over the weekend with the Tortuga, some impressions:

1) It's without question a Reptilian Disc, by which I mean it's an odd mold
1a) That "anti-Gyro"/delayed flip is real and takes some getting used to (I haven't lol). Had a number of shots that I let go of, thought I'd nailed the release angle, and then had it shift on me.

2) As a result of 1a, I'm not sure if I'd call this a stable mold or a neutral one with regards to the high speed stability. Does have low speed fade, not a ton, but enough that you have to account for it. More glide than the other Reptilian putters (not saying much there) but not a crazy amount.

3) Plastic is nice, and I'd put it in the same ballpark as Pure White

4) Shape reminds me of a Shield that's been squashed. Similar to the change from a Magic/Serpent to a Shaman
4a) Despite how shallow it is, I had a few drives where it got caught up on my fingers

Overall, if I had to compare it to something it'd probably be a Suspect: similar speed and glide, less stability and fade. I'm planning on taking it out to the local putter course for a few one-disc rounds to try and get a proper handle on it, and I'll pass along my updated impressions afterwards

So, having thrown this more, I stand by my initial thoughts: If you mixed a Shield and a Shaman, this is the baby and it is beautiful.

*Disclaimer: I throw a lot of forehands and I've been throwing Suspects/Classic Roc style shallow approach discs all 10 years I've played.

Shaman is one of my favorite molds but I can't throw them with power because there isn't much rim to grip: thin, shallow rim, blunt wing, and they'll flip violently

Shields, slower with more glide, stability and fade, are money at little lay-up/chip shots. The rim is easier to get a hold of for me but it's deep enough that I have some release issues.

The flight is closer to a Shaman but with more glide and fade: 3/4/-0.5/1.5. The main difference between the two in flight is that extra bit of glide. For anhyzers and turnovers, it slows down the initial flip then helps the disc hold angle to stay in the air, whereas a Shaman might drop or keep changing angle.

The shape really is a shallow Shield. Blunt nose, hint of a concave wing, microbead. It releases cleanly and the raised/shorter nose, compared to a Shaman, gives finer control of the nose angles. I found it pretty easy to control the flip when trying hyzers by throwing more nose up or down.

I could get it out to 280 if I wanted to push it but the 200-260 range seemed like the sweet spot. Could easily become my main approach mold if there was a run of Amber and/or Armor. I think I would still need to bookend that had fade however

So, having thrown this more, I stand by my initial thoughts: If you mixed a Shield and a Shaman, this is the baby and it is beautiful.

*Disclaimer: I throw a lot of forehands and I've been throwing Suspects/Classic Roc style shallow approach discs all 10 years I've played.

Shaman is one of my favorite molds but I can't throw them with power because there isn't much rim to grip: thin, shallow rim, blunt wing, and they'll flip violently

Shields, slower with more glide, stability and fade, are money at little lay-up/chip shots. The rim is easier to get a hold of for me but it's deep enough that I have some release issues.

The flight is closer to a Shaman but with more glide and fade: 3/4/-0.5/1.5. The main difference between the two in flight is that extra bit of glide. For anhyzers and turnovers, it slows down the initial flip then helps the disc hold angle to stay in the air, whereas a Shaman might drop or keep changing angle.

The shape really is a shallow Shield. Blunt nose, hint of a concave wing, microbead. It releases cleanly and the raised/shorter nose, compared to a Shaman, gives finer control of the nose angles. I found it pretty easy to control the flip when trying hyzers by throwing more nose up or down.

I could get it out to 280 if I wanted to push it but the 200-260 range seemed like the sweet spot. Could easily become my main approach mold if there was a run of Amber and/or Armor. I think I would still need to bookend that had fade however

I hadn't really thought about what an amber run would be like yet. Champ Classic Rocs were pretty fun point and shoot discs. I imagine the tortuga would stable up some in premium much like classic rocs and discs like the Envy/Chief/Chief OS. Flat tops, similar profile type discs.

I hadn't really thought about what an amber run would be like yet. Champ Classic Rocs were pretty fun point and shoot discs. I imagine the tortuga would stable up some in premium much like classic rocs and discs like the Envy/Chief/Chief OS. Flat tops, similar profile type discs.

The premium plastic would be more for increased durability so that it doesn't get insanely flippy within a few months

The premium plastic would be more for increased durability so that it doesn't get insanely flippy within a few months

They likely would have different flight characteristics though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I am kinda picky about throwing putters and premium plastics. It seems like a complete win or lose situation mold to mold. Wizards for example fly like garbage in premium plastic while discs like Ions fly best in premium. There are discs like the Envy that fly great in both, and I am wondering where the Tortuga would fall.

They likely would have different flight characteristics though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I am kinda picky about throwing putters and premium plastics. It seems like a complete win or lose situation mold to mold. Wizards for example fly like garbage in premium plastic while discs like Ions fly best in premium. There are discs like the Envy that fly great in both, and I am wondering where the Tortuga would fall.

Gateway made a small batch of protos in premium plastic. They were incredibly stiff due to the thick flight plate.

They flew more OS than a standard Tort but not quite Wizard OS if I had to say.

Our plan is to run some premium protos when the mold makes it back in for our first run.

I would be intrigued. Was there less glide in premium as well? I have been trying to imagine how softer plastics would feel with the thicker plate in general. The protos are a touch stiffer than I have been putting, but especially my older pair are softening up a little. I am really enjoying the feel and feeling confident. Actually just took my first open cash in a little while this weekend and putted mediocre, which is good for me these days

Gateway made a small batch of protos in premium plastic. They were incredibly stiff due to the thick flight plate.

They flew more OS than a standard Tort but not quite Wizard OS if I had to say.

Our plan is to run some premium protos when the mold makes it back in for our first run.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm looking for flight wise. I've thrown my pair a bit and they fly quite nice but they're kinda touchy on a FH, so a bit more HSS would be nice.

From a putting perspective, they've officially earned a few attempts in the bag to replace my Lunas as my putting putters. I know my Fierce is in danger for sure and it would be nice to just be Zones, Ringer/Breaker, and Torts with a Glitch because well it's a Glitch...

The plastic is soft yet grippy, but not too soft and grippy that it isn't good in 80+ degree heat with at least 75% humidity, which is something my Lunas struggle with, and a bonus is that metal hits stay close to the basket unlike my Lunas which can go 25'+ from a rim hit.

Last edited:
The real worry is that my beloved serpent will be further threatened by a premium tort, especially if they find the right balance of flex for that beefy plate.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm looking for flight wise. I've thrown my pair a bit and they fly quite nice but they're kinda touchy on a FH, so a bit more HSS would be nice.

From a putting perspective, they've officially earned a few attempts in the bag to replace my Lunas as my putting putters. I know my Fierce is in danger for sure and it would be nice to just be Zones, Ringer/Breaker, and Torts with a Glitch because well it's a Glitch...

The plastic is soft yet grippy, but not too soft and grippy that it isn't good in 80+ degree heat with at least 75% humidity, which is something my Lunas struggle with, and a bonus is that metal hits stay close to the basket unlike my Lunas which can go 25'+ from a rim hit.

So the Torts got a workout for dubs last night and while I didn't win, that was no fault of the Torts, in fact they pretty much did nothing wrong besides fail to go in on my throw in attempts with them. They were the right height but wide or the right spot but too low on all of my FH throw in attempts and I didn't have to worry about them turning over or getting stuck ony hand like my Fierces like to do.

On putting duty (which was mostly outside C1 due to a good putting partner and good upshots) they mostly went high and long which is not something I usually have a problem with, since my putts are normally short (and I had a pair that came up just short) but I think that's because I get a better release than I do with my Lunas.

Overall I think they're in the bag for approaches at the minimum and potentially could also double as my main putting putters, which might just get me to be more consistent and hopefully lead to lower scores.

So the Torts got a workout for dubs last night and while I didn't win, that was no fault of the Torts, in fact they pretty much did nothing wrong besides fail to go in on my throw in attempts with them. They were the right height but wide or the right spot but too low on all of my FH throw in attempts and I didn't have to worry about them turning over or getting stuck ony hand like my Fierces like to do.

On putting duty (which was mostly outside C1 due to a good putting partner and good upshots) they mostly went high and long which is not something I usually have a problem with, since my putts are normally short (and I had a pair that came up just short) but I think that's because I get a better release than I do with my Lunas.

Overall I think they're in the bag for approaches at the minimum and potentially could also double as my main putting putters, which might just get me to be more consistent and hopefully lead to lower scores.

Love the feedback!

I'm still working on a time line with Gateway to get a run made for us. I'd love to see these in Tar Pit, Fossil & a Nylon Infused premium.

... could also double as my main putting putters, which might just get me to be more consistent and hopefully lead to lower scores.

I have been putting with them now since near the release, and I do find them to be the sweet spot of stability for a consistent flight and shape for consistent release. I am a spin putter, but have also found them to excel on pitch putts. I think the lack of gyro effect means they fly great on that minimal spin pitch.

Love the feedback!

I'm still working on a time line with Gateway to get a run made for us. I'd love to see these in Tar Pit, Fossil & a Nylon Infused premium.
Do we have an update on a possible production run, since the Protos are sold out? I grabbed a pair of X-Out Magnets from MSt and was using them for a bit but my putting went from basically lights out after the transition, to complete garbage (I went 0-11 at dubs Monday with them). I switched back to my Torts for the PDGA league round Friday and shot a 927 rated (+22 over my rating!) -2 with them.

If anyone has any orange Protos they want to get rid of, I'm interested (especially if a production run is a while off). Idk why but I found my orange to be better for putting, but the pink is better for throwing.

Do we have an update on a possible production run, since the Protos are sold out? I grabbed a pair of X-Out Magnets from MSt and was using them for a bit but my putting went from basically lights out after the transition, to complete garbage (I went 0-11 at dubs Monday with them). I switched back to my Torts for the PDGA league round Friday and shot a 927 rated (+22 over my rating!) -2 with them.

If anyone has any orange Protos they want to get rid of, I'm interested (especially if a production run is a while off). Idk why but I found my orange to be better for putting, but the pink is better for throwing.
Morning!

I think we may be a few weeks out on our production run.

That said, we are good to go as far as utilizing the mold. Mason from Gateway has been a big advocate for us and is pushing for us to snag a new distance mold in the near future as well.

Exciting time to be an RDG fan!

Morning!

That said, we are good to go as far as utilizing the mold. Mason from Gateway has been a big advocate for us and is pushing for us to snag a new distance mold in the near future as well.

Is he gonna let you make my idea? Lol it's goofy but I bet it sells.

Morning!

Ooooooooooooh! What kind of stability are we talking with the distance mold?

Is he gonna let you make my idea? Lol it's goofy but I bet it sells.
Idk about your idea but a Chameleon with 2-3 mm added to the rim width would be very interesting, would seem to make a mellow 12ish speed, unless I don't understand the way additional rim width affects the stability of a design. Whatever your idea is, I want to hear it though...

I've continued to throw this around, and while it's not quite as glidey as I initially thought (~3/3/-0.5/1.5), I'm really liking it for short drives (sub-230) and lay-ups (C3-150). It has the same distancephobia that Serpents and Scales have where once they decide to slow down they are dropping out of the air Right Now.

Can't say much about them as putter putters but they've been remote-controlled missiles the few times I've tried a long spin putt (makes me verrrrrry curious about the coming Tarpits).