• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

handicap league question

Our league adds strokes to the score in that case: Modified score = Par - (Average - Actual score)
ex. if player with a 53 average on par 54 shoots a 55 today, it counts as 54 - (53 - 55) = 56

Googling a bit, and a little to my initial surprise, in ball golf it seems that a really good player can indeed have a handy cap on the other side of zero.

And, indeed, if the goal is for everyone to compete on "equal" footing this makes sense. Why should these players have an advantage, in a handicapped event, over someone who happen to be merely at, instead of south of, an arbitrary "scratch" line?

And, of course, the most prestigious events remain un-handicapped. And there, obviously, the more skilled player sees their full advantage.

I think that ours is rated against a 1000 rated round at the same course.... which I think is 50 at the course we are currently playing at. We haven't had anybody shoot under a 50 yet (a couple of 50's... but nothing under).

For my handicapped singles league, I simply adjust the scratch score until everybody has a handicap of 0 or more.

For example, after last week, one of our players shot so well that his handicap jumped from 0 to -1. Instead of adjusting the -1 to zero manually, and instead of adding a stroke to his score the following week, I simply adjusted the scratch score from 41 to 40.

Doing this is actually a benefit for the less-skilled players, as they are getting more of a handicap.

Edit: In my bowling league in the winter, handicap is based on the difference between your average and 230. For the few people that average better than 230, they do not get penalized. This is also an option for disc golf leagues.

Last edited:
In my league lol, It takes 3 rounds to get a handicap. I will toss out your highest round and take your two other scores and divide by 2 to get your handi. After that during the league I will only use your last 6 scores, but no matter what your handicap can never go up. So if your handicap is a -5 and you shoot a even round of 54,you actually shot a 59. If you shoot a 54 and your handicap is a +4 well then you actually shot a 50. Simple way to actually keep the league entertaining and fair to everybody playing.

For my handicapped singles league, I simply adjust the scratch score until everybody has a handicap of 0 or more.

Doing this is actually a benefit for the less-skilled players, as they are getting more of a handicap.

It does give them a higher handicap. But, it's of no particular special benefit to the less-skilled players. You're just redefining zero. Everyone's being treated the same way i.e. severyone's handicap will increase by the same two throws, or whatever.

In the sense that you're keeping everybody handicapped, instead of allowing some players to slide by with a "scratch" handicap when their skill warrants a "better than scratch" handicap that does, indeed, benefit the less-skilled players (or especially the good-but-not-quite-best players who will be directly competing with the top dog).

I showed up to our local singles league last night and they said that since I hadn't played the course in that league yet this year my handicap would be 0.... Wish they would have mentioned that rule on the forum before I showed up. Basically threw my money away.

Do you have a better system for determining a handicap the first time out? The other alternative I've heard is having to play the league rounds without having a chance at payout for the first few weeks to create a handicap before you're allowed to actually compete.

I showed up to our local singles league last night and they said that since I hadn't played the course in that league yet this year my handicap would be 0.... Wish they would have mentioned that rule on the forum before I showed up. Basically threw my money away.

Ah, I figured that was normal? In our league it takes three rounds to establish a handicap.

Since it's a side pot at the moment for us, anyhow, I didn't particularly care.

I'm not sure what they did the first few sessions...

Reward for first round

We handicap with a reward system... $7 (is our weekly entry) and you are playing for a disc... based on how you play on other courses we give you number a little under what a good day would be for you... you are a par golfer (54) you get shoot for a 52... beat it you get your choice of champion, ESP or Star plastic... shoot at or over DX of your choice... you are eligible for our ace pot... but not for tourney pay out on first week... every round after that your handicap is calculated on that performace/course rating... works really well for the mini I have been playing recently...

if you have PDGA number it counts toward your official rating...

you can check it out below

http://www.facebook.com/swhcmini

http://www.hfds.org/vbull/showthread.php?t=5&page=43

Have a nice overview set up to see how you are doing too

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/94102%261007239790

Last edited:
I've been running a local handicap round weekly for 17 years. In the past I've had a few players that average less than the base number (myself included) and when they discovered they were getting "plus" strokes attitudes changed. Personally, I was very proud to say my average was under the base # and I would be starting out on the over par side for the round, but one of the other guys was very upset. Claimed he was just giving away his money and had no chance to win. I countered saying, "Well it's only $3. It's not like you're gambling your weekly paycheck." Plus there is always the chance to hit the ACE POT which was usually hovering around $400-$500. And, with the right mindset, you can still turn in a low enough round to get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

I've been running a local handicap round weekly for 17 years. In the past I've had a few players that average less than the base number (myself included) and when they discovered they were getting "plus" strokes attitudes changed. Personally, I was very proud to say my average was under the base # and I would be starting out on the over par side for the round, but one of the other guys was very upset. Claimed he was just giving away his money and had no chance to win. I countered saying, "Well it's only $3. It's not like you're gambling your weekly paycheck." Plus there is always the chance to hit the ACE POT which was usually hovering around $400-$500. And, with the right mindset, you can still turn in a low enough round to get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

I agree 100% My Handicap league is at a easier course and I do have guys that can shoot -4 or -5 for an average score. Alot of those guys got upset when they seen there handicap, but if they threw a great round they could shoot a -9 or -10 and place! This was brought up from erock because of my league....a guy shot a great round of -9 and because of his handicap ended up with a -4 and took 2nd place! Erock feels that if you shoot below par you shouldnt have a handi, just scratch. My league is great, different winner almost every week and actually have some guys winning that wouldnt place in other scrambles or events. Its funny how when C players beat A players the A players complain about the league, but all those other years when the C's would just donate they would never complain!

I don't use PAR as a base number to compute handicaps. Our course is a PAR 58 and I use 50 as the base number. Even in the all short set-up, not many folks are going to average a 50. Possible, yes, but not very often. This way, everyone has a handicap. Mine has been staying around 1.5, while others (lesser skilled players) go all the way up to 25+. So if I shoot a 52 and one of the regular girl discers shoots a 68 with a handicap of 17.6, she gets the win. Some of the better players around here get too focused on winning and don't seem to see how this system helps the lesser skilled players, which keeps them excited to play with the group.

I wouldn't want to do this system for much money or big events, but for weekly play at only a few bucks, it does even the field and keeps all entries in one division (instead of splitting into 3-10 divisions).

I ran a handicapped side pot for ladies at a local mini. It was all added cash too. No one had to buy in. I just kept track of the best score of each player and based it off of that. The person with the best score ever posted had a zero handicap, and everyone else's handicap was calculated compared to that.

But I got so much crap over it, I quit doing it. People just didn't like the idea of having to beat someone by x number of stokes to get paid out that added cash, even though they would still get the payout from the mini. So the good players stopped attending. Even though I quit doing it long ago, they still don't attend, and spread misinformation to others so they won't attend either.

Our league uses a base of 40 because it is highly unlikely that anyone would ever shoot a 40 (course record is a 47). We also pay $5 bucks to best scratch round (the league is $5 to play, so best scratch gets their money back).

I think it is a nice way of doing things because the guys who have really low handicaps still have something to play for (they rarely win the regular payout because there is almost always a higher handicap, inconsistant player who pops out a good round and wins for the week).

Latest posts