• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help identifying a Pensacola area course

Tenacious EJ

Par Member
So back in 2002 I left the Navy and moved from beautiful San Diego to not so bad Pensacola, FL. I'd been playing the fantastic Morley Field course in San Diego for years, and my wife told me some of her friends played in Pensacola. We went out to play one day at some course in the area, no idea exactly where, and played a round at what was by far the worst course I'd ever seen. Granted, I was used to Morley's fairly open layout, but I wasn't ready for a course situated in a young forest, with holes placed around with no idea what was required to play the game. I recall 150 ft holes where you were essentially throwing into a wall of 10 ft saplings the entire length of the hole with no lane to speak of. As one might expect, I pretty much decided not to bother again with that course, and not long after I moved to Maryland.

Cut to over a decade later and I look at this site and don't see it. At least, I don't think I do! Courses can change a lot in that time, and I only played the darn thing once. I was just wondering if anybody else played that monster and if it's still around. Mind you, I have no desire to play it again, just wanted to add it to my played list.

Did it have one long hole with a nice view of a bay on the right?

Yeah, it wasn't near the bay, and it wasn't any of the Blue Angel courses. It was a truly awful course in some equally park. I'm pretty sure it isn't on the list.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's there anymore. The only two courses in Pensacola proper are Hitzman Optimist (which sounds a bit like what you're describing, but was built in 2012) and Sunset DGC, which has a fair bit of water in play and doesn't really sound like the course you're looking for.