• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Help me find my approach Shot disc!

If we've narrowed down the approach range, a suspect might work for you as well. It just depends how much fade you want to factor in. Or get a fresh ion and save it for approaching duties only.

Yep, the Suspect was the other Triology disc I couldnt think of earlier.

I prefer the Tangent. Have cycled KC Rocs, Roc3, mako, mako3, cro, gator through the bag over the last year. Tangent behaves for me, nice straight upshot with gentle fade and rarely catches/rolls like the more stable discs.

ncgamedog, I agree with your philosophy. My "approach discs" are DGA breaker for OS, Star Classic Roc for neutral with fade, and Star Wedge for US. My mids are my mids, and these are not.

if you aren't using a z comet I would say use one of those. otherwise I would suggest using a putter, they shouldn't roll as much and go generally straighter

If you like MVP so much, you should try the a lighter weight tensor. I throw a 172 and its a great approach disc with the constant slower fade then other discs. Or a hyzer bomb tank or rhyno like the guy above said

I think the LYCAN is a great disc for this....its not as fast as a mid (like a speed 4) but its faster than a putter, and can do a lot and is more stable than a mako....its a GREAT approach disc dude.....I use the mako only because its a 0 disc, but I used to use a Lycan for this....2 great discs.....go Lycan if you want a lil stability.

Sinus! I have a hard and a medium. The hard one skips nicely, the medium is getting "stickier" as it breaks in. It's probably my favorite disc at the moment for short drives, approaches, and headwind putts.

Since you like the Ion already, why not just get a fresh one?

I use the Suspect for approaches and you may like it. It's a shorter mid that sounds like what you are looking for flight-wise, an overstable Comet with bigger fade and less glide. I like playing the fade on approach shots, both forehand and backhand and this disc is very predictable for me.

I still plan to try the Envy and a Roc3 but I ended up using my 176 Alias. Yes, it's very straight with a small fade but the thing that really sold me on it was how hard I can throw it but still have it put on the air breaks and land softly at the end. Almost every time I use it I'm 15 feet or closer to the pin.

Thanks for all the replies. There are a few discs others have mentioned I'm curious to throw now too.

I've tried a number of discs for approaches and without a doubt the Tangent is the one for me. It's so easy to range and as you say goes straight if thrown flat. I know you want a little fade and depending on the approach I do as well. When I need that I just give it a left turning hyzer arc and it holds the arc the whole way. The tangent gets 95% of my approach shots whether they are straight or hyzer to left or even a little anny to the right. All purpose approach disc for me.

I carry a Jokeri and a Zone for over stable approaches that either stick or skip. Generally an opto Pure for straight & anny, but will carry a soft zero for courses with scary greens.

KC Roc. Throw one in the bag and throw it as much as you can And don't be afraid to hit some trees with it. Once it's seasoned throw another in there and you're on your way. Once ones real flippy and the newer one is starting to go straight maybe throw a heavy Roc3, in there and you're set. Those three should set you up for all the mid range shots you need.

Sounds like you need a tensor
I love my Tensor but it's way too overstable for what he wants. The Envy seems like a better choice. Or just continue to work with the Buzzz. But I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, as I like to thumber a Champ Teebird (or now a Servo) from 50-150'.

Latest posts