• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

help us! Please! Heading to the Denver area for the week starting Sep 15th!

the tickets for riotfest in september have been purchased and now we have a set date. We will be arriving in the Denver area September 15th coming from Madison,WI. i can't wait for a solid week of disc golf in another state with one of my best friends being capped off by the largest punk show i have ever seen. Looking for advice on the area and possibly a couple people to join us at the pine courses to make a foursome. We are very serious disc golfers who plan on knocking out a minimum of 3 courses per day. we plan on starting at winter lake on account of the alpine slide. that thing looks like something i need to experience. any locals out there who feel like sharing advice, want to meet up, like to party, or all 3 hit me up. What is really going on in Colorado? Where are the best bars/courses/breweries/jigglyrooms/restaurants? Where is the best place to party? Let me know! If you happen to be in Madison at some point i can show you around!

Hey, I just got back from our 3rd disc golf trip to Denver and the mountains. While I cannot offer much advice on where to party, I have played over 10 courses out there. Is riotfest at red rocks?? If so, we saw Galactic there last week. Love that place.

I would try to stay near red rocks in Morrison and play the courses in Pine and Conifer. From Morrison, you can venture out to winter park, and ghost town and even Frisco. We did NOT like Ghost town, but others seem to like it. Frisco is excellent, and if you end up staying overnight near there, definitely go to Leadville. Beaver Creek mountain course is an excellent course too.

To me though, the best courses in the region are the 5 courses managed by Paul Rothley. Phantom Falls, Magic Meadows, and Bucksnort are p2p, but well worth it. Bailey and Beaver Ranch are public courses and are awesome especially if you love to air it out on 700 ft downhill throws off the mountain. If you play during the week, I'm sure Paul would allow just 3 guys to play his courses. Bucksnort's got to be the most beautiful course I've ever seen.

We rented a house in the area and partied up at the house. There is NOTHING going on in the foothills region! The houses are pretty cheap to rent around there too.

Enjoy. Hope I helped a little.

Jason

Thanks Jason!

i guess i should have involved a PHISH reference in my post. Another fellow disc golfer just posted about help in the denver area and got hella responses. i personally would pay to NOT have to go to a phish show. to each their own. whatever.
Riotfest is at May Farms.
http://riotfest.org/denver-lineup/

how did you go about finding a house to rent? Usually we just wing it and either make friends or hit up a motel 6. with the pdga procard you can get a room for like 40 bucks.

Nothing going on in the foothills huh? We are from Wisconsin. If there is a bar we will have fun. I have heard good things about Colorado. Before i talked to a few disc golfers from there i thought Denver was just where the hipsters from Madison who couldn't afford to move to Portland went. After some research it seems decent. I think i expected more. I was thinking all downhill bombs. From what i can tell they are mostly 250-300 foot holes. Not very extreme. Might have to leave the drivers in the car. It seems like we have more elevation here in Wisconsin. Either way i am excited. I love playing in new states. the last trip we went on we played 5 different states in one day. We started in Madison, Wi and ended up @ Idlewild in Kentucky.

I called Paul and he told me that to play Magic Meadows you absolutely needed 4 players. I tried bribery. it didn't work. Hopefully in the next 2 months someone reads this and wants to play. I love playing skins as the away team.

Still looking for info if anyone has any..........

I would suggest, you make sure to hit the following courses, while you are in Colorado,
-Bailey- One of my favorite courses, has a large variety of holes including some really nice long downhill bombs (Hole 1 is over 700 and two others are over 500).

-Beaver Ranch is also definitely worth a stop, it has a lot of memorable holes especially hole 17 and a lot of elevation change.

-Colorado Heights University is the best course actually in Denver, with a lot of challenge and a large variety of holes. The only downside to this course is it is private and you would need two people with passes to play, since each pass holder is only allowed one guest.

-Also if you like courses that have a lot of long holes, I suggest checking out the newly reopened Lakewood Dry Gulch.

As far as bars go, since it is Colorado and we are known for our craft beer, I would suggest hitting some of the tap rooms at some of our local breweries. My two favorite are Strange Brewing Company and Denver Beer Company.

I have never played Bucksnort DGC, Magic Meadows or Phantom Falls, if you guys are able to find one more person, I could probably take at least one day off to play at least one of those three courses, so let me know.

Didn't want this post to get super long so if you want anymore suggestions on courses or whatever let me know.

So you should play the mountain courses of Bailey, Beaver, Phantom and Bucksnort, if you can get in to Magic that is pretty sweet. Also play Jellystone and CHU.. if you go farther south I can probably get you into Sakuna Pines for a round. I'll be caddying at the Women's champ that weekend, but I should be able to sneak off after work, possibly on Wednesday to go play FootHill Flyer's tags, they welcome everyone and it's usually one of the only ways to play one of the private courses that litter the foothills (not listed here).
Most people call Lakewood Dry Gulch: Paco or Paco Sanchez.. so if you try and call it anything else there is a good chance they won't know what you are talking about. Let me know when you get in.

Latest posts