• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with old Rit powder?

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for a place/person to purchase old Rit in powder form.

Looking for Blue and Red mostly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have red for sure but you can check any old Grocery store or Drugstore. Most chain supermarkets clearanced them so I usually dont have luck there.

I don't know if Harris teeter is in Boone but they have old RIT around here

I remember reading/hearing the number 10 means old and 11 means newer stuff...where is this number located? I have some old RIT [powder] and cannot find a date or proper marking anywhere - but it definitely is the old kind that works on discs.

There is a 5 digit number stamped on the box/printed on the lid. The last 2 numbers are the year it was produced.

If you want RIT I would suggest that you search the New Rit formula thread in the techniques sticky for "dye fairy". LoPan found a gal in Tx with a boatload of old Rit that she's selling cheap. I have no idea if she has anything left, I got 16 boxes from her :D. Some of 'em have become favorite marbling/painting colors, evening blue, aquamarine, and amethyst to name a few.

I've seen a ton of Scarlet and Royal Blue around here

and of course a ton of brown and wine :D

Check out the Teeter and fabric stores thats where I had the best luck. I still have a few Teeters around me to check out, looking for green (not dark) and a brighter red (more like the new Cherry Red)
The old boxes also have the solid color print as opposed to the stripes. makes it easier to spot.

If anyone is looking for a good dye for disc dying I found one that works very well. I am an optician and make eyeglasses, the tint I use to make sunglasses I tried on champion plastic and it turned out fantastic. The dye is made specifically to absorb into eyeglass lenses made from CR-39 plastic and polycarbonate, it comes in all your basic colors (although so far I have only tried black, specifically called absolute black). They come in small bottles of concentrate that will make 1 quart of tint and can be saved and reheated and used over and over again, should tint alot of discs and one bottle will last for a very long time. The regular colors are $43.00 for a pack of 6 and the absolute colors are $60.00 for a pack of 6, 6 packs can be of different colors, you do not have to order 6 of the same color. You can buy less than 6 but the price per bottle will go up. I called the company and you do not need to be an optical vendor and do not need an account to order from them. The company name is BPI and the phone # is (800)327-2250 if anyone is intersted. I do not work for this company, just thought I would share since it worked great for me for dying discs. When I figure out how to post a picture I will post one of my dye jobs.

Latest posts