• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade basket advice

thirtydirtybirds

Double Eagle Member
backstory: I'm currently building a basket for my home use. I want it to be within PDga specs for competition play. I have looked at all the specs as layer out on the PDGA website.

Question: I am trying to decide in a depth for the actual basket. It is a minimum requirement on the PDGA sheet of 18cm/7.08 inches. What depth does everyone else like? I'm thinking right around 8-9". I've seen specs for manufactured baskets above and below that mark.

Really this is a practice basket so I want it to be around the middle on dimensions of what is out there, so it's equally as close dimensions wise to any given basket.

My 1st ? Is: why are you building your own?
To save money, or because you like to build stuff?
Because unless you have most of the parts laying around, (some chain included) you will not save any money.
I have also noticed that most guys that build their own, become dissatisfied pretty quickly, and wish the had bought one.

Oh, I could buy one. I just like tinkering with stuff sometimes. I probably will buy one as well eventually, but this puts some otherwise unused junk to work. The only thing I don't have laying around is chains, and some sort of a base, but I've got an idea for that.

It's a fun, functional, PDGA spec found art project really.

Anyway, back on topic, I think 10" might be the way to go. Nice and deep, still in spec, and will hold a good chunk of putters before I gotta collect them.

I understand the tinkering.
When I was building mine, I looked up the specs (like you have done) and just took the average.
Most the time when building something out of what's laying around, you kind of let it flow and adapt to what you have.
mine were much easier, in that I didn't have to figure out the basket itself, just the chains.
Good luck and have fun.

This is the place for me, I intend to build one this winter as a project. Nothing wrong with tinkering. A friend made one out of a car tire, which is somewhat higher in the basket but its really fun to throw at.

Homemade baskets are the best!

Good luck on your homemade basket. I made mine from a found defunct shade umbrella and a Christmas tree stand. It is a pop up portable. Supplies set me back about $60. It works amazingly well and people ask where I got it all the time. Just expect strange looks from the hardware store guy though...

Attachments

• IMG_20150806_164216813.jpg
    IMG_20150806_164216813.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20150806_164722210.jpg
    IMG_20150806_164722210.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20150729_093651314.jpg
    IMG_20150729_093651314.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 84
This one is made with the barrel liner. 26" O.D. rim, 23" I.D....

Top spokes are retail display hangers that are made to clamp onto 1 1/2" wide x 1/8" flat bar (got the spokes for free from a local Napa auto parts, as well as the stand).

Attachments

• MVC-120F.JPG
    MVC-120F.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 67
  • MVC-121F.JPG
    MVC-121F.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 55
I've got a pair of bike wheels for the basket itself. Inside edge diameter is 66cm on the nose. They are a weird European size wheel that just happens to be right on. Bike wheel for the chain holder as well, about 3cm bigger than listed spec, but still within PDGA tolerances.

The base I kinda want to also do a bike wheel for cohesiveness, but not sure yet. The whole thing will break down really well and is fairly light weight. Idea is a good quality basket for real cheap (cost of chains basically) that I can take camping and not worry about it getting banged up. Also will give me 2 baskets to putt/throw between at home.

I'll take some progress pics this week as it comes together.

Here is the progress so far. The top rim that will hold the chains is 2cm larger than spec, but I can live with that. I just gotta get some rivets to attach my top basket rim and bottom basket rim. Going to use 1/8" x 1/4" steel flat stock for that. So far so good! I think I'll probably paint it as well, probably orange or red for the basket and top wheel and black for the poles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 79
I have a few baskets that i have made out of 55 gallon drums and pvc. What would you recommend for temporary chains while i save up to get the correct size chain? Id like to find some old swing set or dog tie chain for the time being. But its hard to find any kind of used chain anywhere.

The best cheap chains, are old car tire chains.
Often they are made from 00 long link, which is what most baskets use.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but its at least close and recent...

I have an old shop made basket from when my local 9-hole course got some new wares. Its pretty heavy duty and my biggest problem is having the thing stay upright. Currently its just propped up between some belgian blocks and it looks like it might fall over at any moment.

Does anybody have suggestions for a quick and dirty stand?

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but its at least close and recent...

I have an old shop made basket from when my local 9-hole course got some new wares. Its pretty heavy duty and my biggest problem is having the thing stay upright. Currently its just propped up between some belgian blocks and it looks like it might fall over at any moment.

I've heard some of the heavier (ie: cast iron) patio umbrella bases work. Since yours is a shop made basket, the sleeve size would be your biggest concern.

I have a few baskets that i have made out of 55 gallon drums and pvc. What would you recommend for temporary chains while i save up to get the correct size chain? Id like to find some old swing set or dog tie chain for the time being. But its hard to find any kind of used chain anywhere.

You could always use plastic chain, until you get the good ones. Plus its quieter for night practice...:thmbup:

You could always use plastic chain, until you get the good ones. Plus its quieter for night practice...:thmbup:

A homemade basket youtube video by Chris Beyer includes a version where he uses cut up pieces of garden hose threaded onto rope in place of chains. Cheap, quiet, effective.

Joe

The first basket I built(overbuilt) I used the bottom 6-8" of a plastic 55 gal drum with about 80# of quickrete with a 12" section of fence post for a sleeve. You can usually find the barrels on CL for $5-10 and cut it down w/sawzall or hacksaw. It was rock solid stable and to move just tip it and roll it.

The first basket I built(overbuilt) I used the bottom 6-8" of a plastic 55 gal drum with about 80# of quickrete with a 12" section of fence post for a sleeve. You can usually find the barrels on CL for $5-10 and cut it down w/sawzall or hacksaw. It was rock solid stable and to move just tip it and roll it.

Yeah, I've thought about something like that. The more I ponder though the more I will probably do something like that (or just make it permanent in the yard) and just buy myself a second portable one.I bought enough discs this year that the basket should fit in my theoretical golfing budget for 2016...

Latest posts