• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade basket - The Pin Wheel

The time and effort you put into that basket is clear...GREAT JOB! PVC being so light, you don't have any problems with it tipping over or anything do you?

Thank you for the compliment and I'm sorry for the extremely late response. I must have missed this post. It's a good question as I'm sure the same thing has crossed other peoples minds as well.

I've never had a problem with the basket tipping over. I've hit it from about 260 feet during field practice and the basket didn't so much as budge. The stability comes from two key factors. One, the base has a wide enough span to support the basket and any shifts in weight due to the impact from a disc. Two, the basket as a whole weighs about 35-36 pounds. That's comparable to some the portable "umbrella" baskets that are on the market. A 180 gram disc hitting this basket, even at full speed, doesn't have enough mass to have that much of an effect on the basket.

I've admired this basket design quite a bit from a distance for a while now, and now that I am the proud owner of a pair of wheelchair tires, I'm ready to take a stab at it myself. I just have a few questions of things I couldn't really see too well from the pictures.

The area where the basket attaches to the pole is the confusing area to me. First of all, what exactly is the black plastic circle? To me, it looks like maybe part of a hose reel? I'm sure pretty much anything circular would do the trick, but I was curious what you used. Also, are the spokes of the basket section attached to the center pole solely by this black plastic section? I can't imagine that there is a prefabricated PVC piece to go from the larger diameter center pole to as many smaller diameter spoke sections as exist on the basket. I was just planning on securing this section to a union in the middle and securing the spokes to the black plastic, but I wasn't sure if it would be sturdy enough.

Can't wait to try this out and to report back on how it turns out!

That's awesome! I'll be looking forward to seeing your creation. Definitely post pictures.

So the black plastic circle is actually from a spool/reel that held some kind of rubber gasket. You nailed it! At a site that I used to work at, they would throw away these spools once they used up the rubber gasket material.

The spokes are PVC pipes that I cut sections out of and they are in fact connected (via nuts and bolts) to the black plastic base. Those spokes are not connected to the PVC couplings in the center of the base. I just made the spokes long enough to reach the center so it would look cleaner (from the top view) and also to eliminate the sharp edges of the PVC spokes from being exposed.

I'll get some closer pictures of that area so it's clearer as to how it all went together.

Thanks for sharing. I've been pondering on how to fix up my personal basket I built; because my current bottom part of the basket is actually just a livestock water/food container that I had cut to the correct depth. Well, sad part is it kinda taco's since the stability from the upper rim is gone.

The way you did the bottom section out of the PVC is perfect for me to be able to replace cheap. The rest of my basket is normal chains (inner/outer), hanging from a charcoal grill grate, will everything attached to a 1 1/2" galvanized pole. It all sits in a cast iron patio umbrella base.

I was going for semi-portable. Just wanted to be able to move around the yard.

again, thanks for sharing :)

Since this got bumped I figure I might as well say thanks for the idea for the "chains". Although the rest of my baskets are quite different (all wood w/ PVC pole) as I had the materials already and were "free" the idea for the rope/hose chains is great. Saved me big $ for my 2 baskets and I'm quite happy with how they catch. My "chains" are setup to mirror the Mach Vs at my home course and they catch almost as well as the real thing...even well enough to catch a 260' practice ace. I am ok with the quiet chains when putting...but it was anti-climactic when I hit that practice ace. I wanted to hear that $$$ sound.

Wow.

Greatness.

I am out of commission due to an eye injury for the next few weeks. I've got myself a "costco special" basket and the only problem I have is the chains and the god-awful sound it makes. so loud. so many spit outs.

I will be using your ingenious silent chain design to replace the chains on my basket. I'm so excited! I'll make sure to throw some pics up :)

Thanks for this gem of a contribution to disc golf! :hfive: :thmbup:

i would love to see the overall parts list. Living in an apartment, I really don't like the idea of hucking a full size basket up the stairs (2 flights) every time I want to go throw some putts, nor do I like the idea of practicing in a smaller than normal target.

Did anyone ever make another version of this? I was disappointed to see that this thread died and the parts list/plans were not posted! My wife and I are going to try and build one like this based on the photos. Wish us luck!

I'm living in China where disc golf is essentially nonexistent, and I've been searching up plans for portable baskets. Most of what I've seen has been permanent, flimsy, or both. Although at this point, years after assembly, I suspect you're not planning on putting together DIY instructions anymore, but I'd love to hear any guidance you could offer on mimicking your build; maybe a basic rundown on the essential parts or something to get started and we can work from there. If not, thanks for sharing what you've shared so far - just the pictures and the hose chain tutorial should go a long way.

Latest posts