• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you all go about form work during the season, if at all?

JimmyBlundell

I know there is plenty else to work on during the season that is directly beneficial - putting and upshots primarily.

My question is, is there a non-detrimental way to go about form work during the season? I'm playing in 1-2 tournaments a month from spring through the fall. I've only recently started getting out to actually work on form and have found a lot of enjoyment with it. However, it's also making me overthink said form during tournaments. Last weekend, for example, was a 2 day, 4 round tourney. Even without the best form in the world, I typically zone in and throw pretty well off the tee come tourney time. This weekend was terrible. I couldn't stop thinking during my drives and a lot of my upshots, and it really did a number on me. Nothing felt right and I couldn't get into a rhythm.

I'm wondering if form work during the season can be detrimental in this aspect? While I don't like the idea of waiting until fall to really get out and iron kinks out, my recent experience has led me to overthink my throws a ton. I've got a lot to fix, but is there a decent way of working on those fixes during the season, or do you personally advise against it?

I'm always working on my form except during the actual tournaments. I'm an over thinker but I think it helps to always work on it. It keeps the mental game going, and I never want to be satisfied. I want to constantly improve and the one time I don't work on it and just throw for fun, is a lost opportunity to get better.

But once the tourney starts, I try to clear my mind and just let the work speak for itself.

Really depends on your goals, short term vs long term.

It takes at least 3 weeks of practice to engrain new form or "muscle memory".

Last tourney, on round 2 of 4, I had one of those that we all dread.
Couldn't predict where the disc was going..at all.

Decided to work to understand my form so that I could understand what I was doing wrong and correct immediately.
I work for consistency and play for fun.

What I mean is that I work in the field to improve my throw and then try to enjoy my time on the course.
I work hard to enjoy my play and try to keep those work/play concepts totally separate.

My experience is that working on my game within a few days of a tourney is counter-productive.
Putting is an exception. ALWAYS working on my putting.

Last edited: