• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you hold your mid?

My thumb on top (a bit more centered than when I drive for more control); index finger underneath with the bead (assuming Roc) in the first crease of the finger. Middle and ring finger with the pad pressed against the rim and slightly seperated - these two generating the power. Pinkie naturally placed, proving small amount of control/balance. The index finger will make sure it comes out clean (don't worry if it doesn't feel natural at first - you find the clean release adds distance/glide).

Okay so I'm getting to the point where I want to throw my mid/putter for my drive. But it just feels super awkward in my hand when trying to drive and get power out of it. I'm fine when it is approach, but fan grip just isn't giving me the release I want.

How do you hold your mid/putter when driving?

Pics should pretty much be necessary haha\

:popcorn:

I've only been using mids for about 2 months and am still getting used to them. I cram my pinky and ring finger into the power position (tips on the inner rim) with some slight overlap, then fan my index and ring finger under the flight plate. THe thumb just ends up on top somewhere. Without the disc it looks like I'm making a gun with my hand I suppose. I tried full power grip but just can't get used to the feel...

Power Grip:
Discs001-1.jpg

Control Grip:
Discs003-1.jpg

depends on the shot...usually control/mod fan ish

^(DeHermit) It looks like your power grip has no power. Those fingers should be in the rim not on the edge of it.

^(DeHermit) It looks like your power grip has no power. Those fingers should be in the rim not on the edge of it.

You're not the first one to make that assumption. I find it quite difficult to get a consistantly clean release when I tuck my fingers in on mids and putters, so I found that gripping the rim as above I can comfortably get my Comets and Wasps out to nearly 300' and my Challengers out to 260'. To each his own I guess.

You're not the first one to make that assumption. I find it quite difficult to get a consistantly clean release when I tuck my fingers in on mids and putters, so I found that gripping the rim as above I can comfortably get my Comets and Wasps out to nearly 300' and my Challengers out to 260'. To each his own I guess.

Interesting. You don't have problems with early releases??

Definitely depends on the shot and distance I am going for. Power grip for driving and max D...a Birdie grip when I am more concerned with accuracy.

Looks like the disc is virtually guaranteed to slip out and I'm struggling to understand where the grip pressure comes from at all. Talk about callouses on your finger pads!

The majority of the pressure generated is split between my index finger and thumb in the front, and my ring finger and the fleshy part of the palm at the base of the thumb in the rear. The middle and pinky fingers are mainly stabilizers.
As far as callouses go, they only occur during the colder months due to dry hands; and are caused more by drives with my Avengers due to the sharp rim, rather than power gripping my mids and putters with their rounder and beaded rims.