• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How important is this type of wrist lag in forehand

Thediscgolferguy

Par Member
Let's give the forehand some love guys!

Tristian tanners video showed me something I really had not thought about regarding the forehand throw.

https://youtu.be/NPBfnzVF3Pc?t=120

So basically the idea is to have the disc before in front or at least on line with the elbow in the "reachback" until the elbow shoots forward, which then will create more lag as he says.

It's really apparent in Silver Latts form here, I also attached two photos of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlC5Jq3H-DA

So I tried doing this in fieldwork today, but it was extremely hard to break the habit of reaching the disc back earlier in the reachback, so I'm curious what you guys think, is it worth it to really break the habit and do the reach back like some of these forehand pro's do?

I just looked at Eagle too, he also does it similarly, Barsby as well...

I'm throwing about 330 feet and I'm trying to learn what the next steps are regarding increasing my forehand distance, this seems like a pretty important thing since most pros do this.

I start my 'reach back' with my elbow and let my hand/disc follow when the elbow stops. I don't know that it adds distance, but it does make my throw more accurate. If I 'forget' to do it that way, my throw usually gets pulled to my left (I'm RHFH) as I short arm it across my body.

Similar to a whip (at least in my mind), the hand takes the handle back, but the tip does go back until the hand/handle has reached as far back as it can, then the hand/handle comes forward, the tip continues back, and then comes forward following the hand/handle. Then the hand/handle come back again creating the snap of the tip. But it all starts with the hand/handle going back and the tip following.

So basically the idea is to have the disc before in front or at least on line with the elbow in the "reachback" until the elbow shoots forward, which then will create more lag as he says.

this seems like a pretty important thing since most pros do this.

Elbow reach back, but not the hand/disc.
That is stylistic, not fundamental, however IMO that way puts more stress on the arm/shoulder.

Similar style thing with backhand "bent elbow reachback" like Seppo.

That is stylistic, not fundamental, however IMO that way puts more stress on the arm/shoulder.

I find it puzzling that so many top-level forehand pros do it if it's only a matter of style with no benefit, every pro I've cared to look up untill now seems to do some version of this way of reaching back.

I find it puzzling that so many top-level forehand pros do it if it's only a matter of style with no benefit, every pro I've cared to look up untill now seems to do some version of this way of reaching back.

Big Jerm going for distance:

I tend to do the same, when I'm going for upshots or doing standstills - aaaand it hurts my elbow everytime. I can't speak for the pro's, but the short reachback seems to put alot of stress on my arm.

For me, it seems like that kind of reachback is putting too much pressure on the elbow.

I haven't filmed myself in ages, but I'm pretty sure i do a "normal" reachback on full sends and i get good distance, without any strain in the elbow.

Late elbow cock is statistically more prone to elbow injuries in baseball. It looks and feels like more power but it really isnt, it only narrows the window to get the elbow infront hand and disc. Elbow further back give you more time to get everything going smooth and hit with the fingers.

The wrist and finger push at the hit still generates most of the distance so there really isnt much point in stressing the elbow, to fast arm speed vs wrist and fingers will only generate OAT.

Late elbow cock is statistically more prone to elbow injuries in baseball. It looks and feels like more power but it really isnt, it only narrows the window to get the elbow infront hand and disc. Elbow further back give you more time to get everything going smooth and hit with the fingers.

The wrist and finger push at the hit still generates most of the distance so there really isnt much point in stressing the elbow, to fast arm speed vs wrist and fingers will only generate OAT.

That's why I really love watching rick and Aaron gossage throw sidearm. Elite forehands with no late elbow cock

I'm a bit confused about what your question is, but it sounds like you're asking about short reachback and late pull through vs longer reachback?

I never even think about my elbow or my reachback. I focus on shoulder/hip separation, keeping the arm loose like a whip, and starting the upper body movement with my left shoulder (RHFH). I wouldn't call what I do a reach back, as much as the rest of my body is moving away from the disc on the last step. I tend to end up with the disc fairly far away from me, but I get good lag by starting the throw with my offhand and keeping my throwing arm loose.

For reference, I throw close to 400' golf distance, and almost never have any elbow or shoulder pain unless I'm already fatigued and trying to do too much. Even then, never anything that takes more than a day to subside. Been playing DG a little over a year, forehand dominant for about 9 months, and played baseball for a decade early in life, including a couple of years pitching.

Latest posts