• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How involved are your with your home courses?

How involved in upkeep are your on your home courses?

• I am the builder/creator and maintain it as well

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I frequently participate in workdays

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I have participated in workdays and done some work

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I have adopted a hole and maintain it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I assumed the park service did all the work

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I pick up sticks as I play

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • I never do any work I am a slacker hate to admit it

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I vandalize and criticize every chance I get

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
So I am out in the pouring rain at Nockamixon building a rudimentary boardwalk over a swampy area. I had bought the lumber and was doing the work alone at 8:00 on a Friday Night with thunder and lighning brooding in the distance. Miserable conditions. I looked at my half finished work and thought of a quote from this site. Something about how the bridges or wooden walkways were not up to par/below average. I sort of got to thinking. I am no carpenter and we're not allowed to build permanent structures on the State Park land so this was my best work and imagined some one would think what a crappy boardwalk and not appreciate the fact that they can safely traverse a swamp without losing a shoe or getting caked with mud. Got me thinking of all the people on here who criticize..just how involved are you with the construction maintenance of the courses you play?

i have yet to do much work since ive changed home courses...i do the usuall pick up a beer bottle here and there, and will move a fallen limb out of the way, and thats pretty much it....i do plan on making it out to the workday though.

I often wondered if each person who played a course would just pick up one stick or pull one weed how amazing a course would look after a week? I thinking picking up sticks as u play shows those you play with that you care and this attitude is contagious. If you maintain a course it is doubtful those around u will feel comfortable littering or kicking a stick rather than picking it up and giving it a 15 foot toss

I can't say that I've participated in any "official" workdays, etc... When playing with my normal group though, we do make an effort to pick up trash, remove fallen branches/limbs/hazards. Last week at Shorewood Park, after our 1st round we were so p.o'd at the litter, we cleaned up during our 2nd round.

@ opto, I feel your pain... some people can't seem to do the math that if you don't want every course to be pay to play, it is ESSENTIAL that people volunteer to help maintain the course.

while I'm thinking about this A HUGE SHOUT OUT to Frank G. for all his effort on the course in Channahon, IL. the course is BEAUTIFUL! ...and just about every other round I play out there, you'll see Frank fixing stuff... if JADGC ever needs help, feel free to contact me

Right now I've got scratches and poison ivy and bug bites on my legs from helping install a new hole on a local course last weekend. It was lots of fun, and really rewarding, but next time I'll wear jeans instead of shorts. Everybody should participate in a local course work day some time. You'll feel so good about yourself!

another thing our local club does that really helps out a lot is when holding a mini we give every card a trash bag along with their card and everyone picks up as they go....its a real easy way to clean up a course in a hurry, with little effort...heck you dont even have to pick up every single piece of trash, just a couple pieces a hole, and if the cards behind you do the same, mission accomplished

Last edited:
As I play I pick up garbage as I see it, but most of the courses I play are very well maintained.

Are park service gets mad if we come in there with chainsaws or other tools to clean up the mess cause," ITS THERE JOB!" So they say, lawsuits, whatever other kind of crap going on. I don't know they smoked some bad dope are something, lol

We don't really have a "club" thats active right now...but we did clean up before a local tournament we finally held...spent quite a bit of time laying down 30ft circles around the baskets, and raking all the sticks and crap around the baskets and cleaning up the fairways....I felt proud after how much time we spent and I don't know if anyone REALLY noticed...which was ok I guess becuase I knew what was done to make the course nice...

I spend alot of time working on my course. I work both with the local club (Par Infinity) during work partys and with my friend who is in charge of course matnece.

I try to keep my home course looking nice. I pick up trash, I try to make sure there are no hazards on the course. Also at my course we have one of the spokes of the basket painted that points to the next hole, and I try to make sure those are freshly painted when they start to fade. I also help get the course ready when we have an up coming tournament. Last year I roped off an area with caution tape because of a wasp nest in the ground that I found the hard way, and I didn't want anyone else to get stung.

We have good tee markers, but the course is a little hard to navigate for beginners, so I am going to be making some small signs directing people around the course.

I also put up fliers at both ends of the course when we are going to be having a tournament there, so the locals know whats up. We had a lot of locals play in their first tournament last year because of the fliers I posted.

Last edited:
I have moved branches that have fallen from storms and picked up some trash during rounds. I joined the local club at the beginning of the year but have missed all of the scheduled work days so far. I plan on helping out as much as I can before the Charlie Vettiner Open in the months to come and on any future courses.

My course is never busy so there isn't much maintenance to do thankfully. I do need to pick some beer cans up though, the little trash cans just can't contain them all.

We date off and on but we do not have a serious commitment. I can see other courses without even asking.

I have donated many (MANY!) hours to my favorite local course (in a virtual way) by creating a web site for it. This resulted in the area being named as one of "America's Coolest Neighborhoods" in Men's Journal Magazine (Millions of readers), which made the Mayor (and everybody else in area for that matter) proud.

The magazine says its #1 criteria was "Outdoor Adventure" and our disc golf course surely provides that.

So, the morale of the story is, there are many different ways to help your local courses. Building a web site for a course (even if it is quite modest to start) is something that helps others to enjoy it.

Take a look and see what you think for yourself. I'm biased, but I really think this site has THE best Links and History of Flying Discs (Ultimate + Disc Golf) pages found anywhere on the web!

Park Circle Disc Golf Course in North Charleston, SC

I think if we all tried to take care of our home courses, we would have some nice courses around.

Picking up trash, and helping clear storm damage is something I just do wherever I'm playing, including my home course. I just moved, so I'm still trying to figure out what the local clubs are, and how to get involved locally.