• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to strip color off a disc?

xmguy

I'm new here so please be kind :D

I have a few discs given to me (as I'm new to DG) I'd like to make an XM LOGO disc. I know Midnightbiker made one a while back but he used a yellow disc and used markers to paint it black. Is there a way to strip the color off of a disc? I have an Innova Gazelle (dark blue) and a Aviar (light blue). Is there a way to get the color to a white color or go from blue to yellow. I'm such an XM nut that If I'm to play this sport I want an XM disc? I know this may be a cart-before-horse method. But I say why not?

If this can't be done what disc would be recommended A; for beginners B; that is either yellow or white in color.

Thanks.

Welcome to disc golf and to DGCR :)
Unfortunately you won't be able to go from dark to light with disc colors, only dye a light colored disc darker. I think a Stingray is a great disc for beginners and you can find them in both yellow and white. If you go to DiscGolfCenter.com you can pick the exact color and weight of every disc you order. The DX plastic doesn't' hold dye very well but if you just want to use marker it should suffice for you. To get the stamp off you'll need acetone and cottonballs or papertowels.

Welcome to disc golf and to DGCR :)
Unfortunately you won't be able to go from dark to light with disc colors, only dye a light colored disc darker. I think a Stingray is a great disc for beginners and you can find them in both yellow and white. If you go to DiscGolfCenter.com you can pick the exact color and weight of every disc you order. The DX plastic doesn't' hold dye very well but if you just want to use marker it should suffice for you. To get the stamp off you'll need acetone and cottonballs or papertowels.

Cool thanks. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the welcome. Midnightbiker (of whom I'm personal friends with, got me hooked into DG :D)

If you don't care about PDGA approval, you can buy paint markers at Home Depot/ Ace/ etc. They are like Sharpies with paint. You could get a white paint marker and change your whole disc to white, then design on top of that. Of course, it's not permanent, but it will stay for a long time.

Chances are that the gazelle's DX... and DX doesn't take dye well.

You could get an Aviar in Star or Champ plastic and dye that... or maybe an ESP Cyclone (similar to a gazelle but in premium, dyeable plastic.)

Latest posts