• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hume Lake Extinct... What??????

So my my wife and I go on vacation with a lot of our friends to Hume lake every summer. We live about 4 hours away and love playing the DGC when we're up there. That course is actually the reason I started playing disc golf! I just noticed that this course has been updated to EXTINCT. :wall:

1. What does it actually mean that a course is extinct? (I'm assuming that's bad). Does that mean it's gone?

2. Can anybody confirm that this is true? The course was given a makeover/update in summer 2013 so it seems hard to believe that it is no longer around. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

J

The course was completely redone, with some really cool, unique holes. "Extinct" just means that original layout doesn't exist anymore. There is most definitely still a (better) course there now.

Yeah, generally, "extinct" means they've pulled the baskets. The one exception is when a course gets totally redone, the old layout will be labeled as "extinct." Usually there's some indication as to this, though, such as relabeling the course "Hume Lake - Old Layout" or something to that effect.

Can't say anything about this course specifically. If it is indeed gone, I'm sorry for your loss!

Edit: Well, there you go. Looks like a crisis was averted...

Yeah, generally, "extinct" means they've pulled the baskets. The one exception is when a course gets totally redone, the old layout will be labeled as "extinct." Usually there's some indication as to this, though, such as relabeling the course "Hume Lake - Old Layout" or something to that effect.

Can't say anything about this course specifically. If it is indeed gone, I'm sorry for your loss!

Edit: Well, there you go. Looks like a crisis was averted...

That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I played the old layout two summers ago and played the new (more interesting) layout this past summer (2013) only a couple of weeks after they finished the update. They even still had the old layout on the scorecards from the little general store up there. The old layout being extinct explains it. Thanks! :D

Considering that this course is at a private Christian camp, it is likely marked "extinct" because the owners didn't want it in the directory, because having it listed brings out every Tom, Dick and Harry disc golfer who think they're entitled to play any set of pole holes in the ground, and do all of the seedier things disc golfers are notorious for while they do so. Some private courses simple don't want that kind of traffic. A former #1 course on here met this fate.

There have been a few cases where private land owners have requested removal. Sending these courses to the "extinct" list, even though they're still actually in the ground) allows people who have played them to still mark them as played while keeping them out of the active search results.

Latest posts