• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I Feel Like I Have Regressed.

Picked_Up

Hello All,

After coming to the realization that I am definitely strong arming the disc. I wanted to throw out another post here and see just how many more things are wrong with my throw.

I have been an on again off again player for the last three years and am currently maxing out around 300' so that in and of itself is telling me that I am "off" I broke down my form after my last tournament (a terrible outing) and this is my current progress.

If it all possible, I would love to know what, if anything, I am doing correctly so I can build off of that moving forward. As always, thanks for all your help!

There are a lot of ways to max out at 300', and you're doing it in a very smooth way. I'm surprised you're not hitting 325-350' with US drivers...hopefully that will happen soon.

It'd be better if I could see your feet too. I would focus on staying on the instep/ball of your right (back) foot, so you shift off smoothly. Also look into the Door Frame Drill videos. I think you aren't quite getting the full reachback and shift happening simultaneously. I'm not good enough at telling you the specifics, but it looks like you're going through the steps but they aren't transferring momentum into the throw.

The disc also looks like it is flying upwards...how is your nose angle/grip? Can you throw 275' or more on low line drives, like 10' of height or less?

I was throwing into a 8-10 mph headwind so that obviously didn't help matters. The most I was getting anything out to was about 275' gps distance.

Yes, most of my throws were going high today, but I'm not sure of that was a nose angle or a body/shoulder angle issue.

When I can manage to keep it down, my max (keeping in mind that I was attempting to rebuild everything today) ended up at about 260 and those were always low and straight.

I added a few more videos from today. After talking a look I can also seem some disc wobble.

The vast majority of these standstill throws also turned and burned on me about 150 out. is this a wrist angle issue or am i just rounding that much?

Yeah, door frame drills, your shoulders/hips "reachback" are not turned far back enough at the plant and not tilted down enough(athletic spine tilt/tilted spiral). Your stride is also off, your front leg strides forward ahead of your hips. You want to push your hips forward(turned back) then catch yourself with your leg striding forward and planting on your toes.

So my more simple advice is:
-disc looks like it's coming out of your swing upwards and wobbly...look into grip alignment, make sure it's nose down relative to your forearm (slightly)
-you are shifting your whole body forward at the same time, rather than shifting from the rear leg to a planted front side (SW22's videos will help)
-Door Frame Drill videos to help you reachback further at plant
-you're stopping your follow through short...you'll probably have a stretched out left pec the next day if you threw a lot. Turn your hand over (palm downwards) well AFTER release, to help your arm swing around rather than abruptly stopping

Thanks for the quick replies!
So after watching a few slow motion videos of Will as well as those drills, it seems like my hips should almost be at a 45 degree tilt away from my target until the heel of my lead foot touches down as well n the stomp the can drills? I'm sorry if I'm being redundant as to what you guys are saying, I tend to understand these types of things better in my own head if I can put them in my own words.

There are so many ways to think of it, which is the tricky part to find out what clicks. Then try it like that, and see how wrong it is from SW22's feedback afterwards.

I think of it as the plant foot should be 90 degrees to the target line, with a closed hip. You should start the shift by pushing/driving from the rear instep to the closed plant foot/leg/brace. Since that leg is braced, it has nothing to do but rotate, and that rotation goes up your torso. Right now you're rotating everything at once.

Also, keep in mind hip rotation can be talked about as your leg rotating inside of your hip. So stand up, lift a leg off the ground, and just rotate your foot clockwise and counterclockwise. That is rotating your hip (not pelvis).

Out at the field again today, and I feel like I made a good bit of progress on my standstill throws. Unlike my last session I was getting some of my putters and mids out to between 250-300 on good lowish lines when everything "clicked". Even managed to get out to 345-350 with one of my fairways. At the very least I feel like there was progress today.

Looking through my videos I did notice that i seem to be bringing my forward shoulder up at the very end of some of my throws. Is there any drill that you feel would help with this, or does it sort of coincide with the "keeping my spine in the same relative position to my hips?"

I know there is still a lot to work on, but I'm glad to have made some progress to this point. Looking forward to your feedback!

Stop trying to keep your head down! You aren't getting onto your front leg properly.

Makes a ton of sense, thank you! As far as the one leg drills, when I am standing balanced, is my knee starting in a bent position and ending straight?

Makes a ton of sense, thank you! As far as the one leg drills, when I am standing balanced, is my knee starting in a bent position and ending straight?
Whatever amount of flexion and extension it takes you to maintain your balance athletically/dynamically, shouldn't be close to locking any joints at any point, you at least feel like you are extending the front knee and hip through impact though.