• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild - Burlington, KY

I really think you're off on this assessment. They're probably not the shiniest or made of gold or anything like that. If that's what you were expecting...remember this is a county park. Government. Think about it.

Idlewild is one of the most scenic DG courses out there. If you want to see some ugly ones, I'll show you some that are as ugly as the zit on a large woman's behind.

In short, I think you're off. :thmbdown:

I was expecting all the baskets to at least be marked with the hole number. I have obviously been spoiled with other courses. I have not played other courses in this area - so I am an outsider looking in I suppose. I only raised the question because I HAVE played courses in other states, have taken a considerable amount of time to review most of the courses I have played objectively, and this one just didn't stack up based on an expectation is all.

I was simply trying to see if others had similar experiences with the "Top 10" per se'. I didn't take the time to do my normal review and stats collection since I was pressed for time, but IMO it's only a 4. I guess that's why this site over time gets better! All review scores will continue to average out providing a pretty good indicator of a course's "level/ratig". Shoot - I never would have even known about the course had it not been for the site!

2 years ago this course would have easily been a 5 for me - but now having played in several states, I'm still waiting for a perfect course :) Beaver Falls in Colorado is as close to a 5 as I have come. It's everything Idlewild was yesterday and more because of the hole variety and the view. Sorry - going to be hard beat mountain vistas and unlimited acreage for course layout while playing disc golf.

Thanks guys! Again - not bashing the course at all!!! I was just curious if I was the only one that has been let down due to a false expectation. I'd play it again in a heartbeat if I was in the area, but I'll try another "4" ranked course first given the opportunity.

Wow, now I'm worried! Several of us from Nashville TN are driving up specifically to play Idlewild on Aug 15th. We are planning on playing at least 3 rounds and I'm really looking forward to seeing the #4 DGCR rated course. We have several great courses at home(especially check out Sharp Springs and Cedar Hill)...
You can see the course directory with 2 minute slideshow walkthroughs I built here:

http://mtdga.sports.officelive.com/Courses.aspx

I too am expecting something special from Idlewild. My skills are starting to really come around and the TN open state champ among others is rolling with me up there. I think I'm ready to take on championship level courses now. Will I be let down? Are we wasting our time and money?

Last edited:
I played 3 rds at Idlewild in April 2009 and rated it 4.5 stars here. It was one of the best manicured courses that I have seen (240+), some holes were fabulous but a few I hated because they were narrow and to a point unfairly long at the same time. 17 and 18 were not great finsihing holes either. It's worth a road trip though, especailly with Banklink (Lincoln Ridge) and Mt Airy in Cincinnati nearby!

In about 10 days, I'm driving from the east coast and debating whether to stop at Idlewild or simply
continue on into KY to play Charlie V, Freeman Pk and Holler in the Hills which look to be very worthy courses I have not been to before.

Wow, now I'm worried! ...

You will have fun, I think. It's absolutely worth playing once. It was very frustrating for me, but it was still quite enjoyable.

You also might want to play Boone Woods as a warmup... it's not a long course at all, and it's pretty close.

Oh, and if it's raining, or if it rained recently and the creek is high... prepare to loose discs.

Wow, now I'm worried! Several of us from Nashville TN are driving up specifically to play Idlewild on Aug 15th. We are planning on playing at least 3 rounds and I'm really looking forward to seeing the #4 DGCR rated course. We have several great courses at home(especially check out Sharp Springs and Cedar Hill)...
You can see the course directory with 2 minute slideshow walkthroughs I built here:

http://mtdga.sports.officelive.com/Courses.aspx

I too am expecting something special from Idlewild. My skills are starting to really come around and the TN open state champ among others is rolling with me up there. I think I'm ready to take on championship level courses now. Will I be let down? Are we wasting our time and money?

slowRoll it's no Augusta National, and it has older Mach 3 baskets but I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. There are very few courses that are as challenging as Idlewild. IMHO, as a Discgolfer you would be cheating yourself not to play Idlewild. Last week in Columbus everyone up there talked about how it was top 3 greatest courses they had ever played and those are from AM3 to Pro Caliber disc golfers. If your wanting picturesque mountains in the backdrop, or a beautiful glass lake then your not going to get it, but if you want a course that will give you the toughest challenge, and almost every hole will be secluded then it's your course. Every single hole is a challenge. It's a huuuuuuuge course and with that takes allot of maintenance so if you come after a rainstorm then you might not get the tranquil beauty, but when Idlewild is in it's top form i'll easily put it up there with any course in the country in looks, and in challenge i'll put it up there any day of the week. Highly suggest Mt Airey and Banklick while your up here though.

What I'm saying is that when you take everything into consideration (the way it's cared for, the holes themselves, the tee pads (huge), the baskets, and an overall presentation), there are maybe one or two better. It is a HUGE course that takes an immense amount of work to keep up.

I think that the only way you rate this course badly (or are disappointed with it) is if your game is not up to it's standards. My $0.02.

going to play a round up at idlewild and banklick tomorrow.. first time seeing both courses and cannot wait!! especially after hearing how much of a challenge it will be! I love seeing new courses and think it will live up to its #4 ranking easily. I will come back with my after thoughts next week.. hopefully it will not disappoint

going to play a round up at idlewild and banklick tomorrow..

found mt airy ...
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=471

dont see a banklick?

Last thing, then I'll stop highjacking this thread. We are planning to just play Idlewild 3 times, then drive back all in one day. Should we only play it twice and hit one of these other courses instead? Will there be any leagues or anything in our way on that Sunday? Thanks again.

found mt airy ...

dont see a banklick?

Last thing, then I'll stop highjacking this thread. We are planning to just play Idlewild 3 times, then drive back all in one day. Should we only play it twice and hit one of these other courses instead? Will there be any leagues or anything in our way on that Sunday? Thanks again.

Lincoln Ridge/Banklick is considered by some to be better and/or more enjoyable than Idlewild. I would consider playing it as well just to make your own judgment and to have even more fun.

I believe Lincoln Ridge gets very crowded, so I would advise playing first thing in the AM.

found mt airy ...

dont see a banklick?

Playing Idlewild 3x is pretty rough. Plan on at least 2.5 hours if not more per round. I'd say 2x and then play Lincoln Ridge since it's close. If you're up for a hike, head up to Mt Airy. Either are really cool courses to complement Idlewild.

Lincoln Ridge is 100% easier than Idlewild. Most if not all of Lincoln Ridge's holes are two-able. This is compared to most hard 3s or tough 4s at Idlewild.

Playing Idlewild 3x is pretty rough. Plan on at least 2.5 hours if not more per round. I'd say 2x and then play Lincoln Ridge since it's close. If you're up for a hike, head up to Mt Airy. Either are really cool courses to complement Idlewild.

Thank you everyone. I'll be the lowest rated golfer in our group at 939 and we're driving the 250 miles just to play it. We'll play as many rounds as we have time to before driving back to go to work the next morning, but with it being so long, 3 rounds is probably my limit.

At 939, Idlewild should not be that hard (hard to play that is....still a challenge to score well on though). You are good enough to stay on the fairway most of the time even on the tightest holes, and should never be too far into the schule. That should keep your overall playing time reasonable.

I disagree that Lincoln Ridge is 100% easier than Idlewild (technically/mathematically that is impossible, but I get the point trying to be made I think).....at least if you have some semblance of accuracy.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I'll be the lowest rated golfer in our group at 939 and we're driving the 250 miles just to play it. We'll play as many rounds as we have time to before driving back to go to work the next morning, but with it being so long, 3 rounds is probably my limit.

Make sure not skip 5 and 6 at Lincoln Ridge. (Sorry still think of it as Banklick). After hole 4 cross the parking lot and that will be hole 5 and 6. Everyone that plays it always misses them and 6 is by far my favorite hole on the course. I'm usually at Banklick at 8am on Saturdays as I play it before going into work. You are right though i've waited 15 - 20 min and then there are alot of people that have coolers, kids, etc. Idlewild you will barely see any other disc golfers as most of the holes are pretty secluded. Right now I would advise having a spotter on 15, it's overgrown and very thick. Boone County reforestation.

http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Courses.aspx - and a course map and most have pics and score cards

I disagree that Lincoln Ridge is 100% easier than Idlewild (technically/mathematically that is impossible, but I get the point trying to be made I think).....at least if you have some semblance of accuracy.

Ok, come on, you know what I mean. We're talking about ~300' open holes vs 450-600' holes that have pretty tight, wooded fairways. How would you say they compare, just in discussion? ;)

Overall the width:length ratios combined with the fairway shapes at Idlewild make for a ton of putter-putter-putter(par-3)-putter(par-4) holes - which is rather monotonous and non-rewarding. There are a bunch of great holes there too.....don't get me wrong.

Conversely, the width:length ratios combined with the fairway shapes at Lincoln Ridge make for a ton of extremely rewarding par-3 holes for me (and people with similar skills and D - 300' accurate, 340' or so max.) There are a couple of "filler holes" at Lincoln Ridge, but other than that there is a ton of variety and challenge and great holes (unfortunately no multi-throw holes).

going to play a round up at idlewild and banklick tomorrow.. first time seeing both courses and cannot wait!! especially after hearing how much of a challenge it will be! I love seeing new courses and think it will live up to its #4 ranking easily. I will come back with my after thoughts next week.. hopefully it will not disappoint

Really looking forward to your feedback mreynolds24. Let us know what you find out.

I agree that Lincoln Ridge is the more satisfying play. If you can ignore the comically tight stretch from holes 5-8, the mess that is 13.....Idlewild is amongst the best you will ever play.

Latest posts