• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Incident at Reedy Creek (at Worlds)

I smell a Made For TV movie or even a mini-series.

Or how about a weekly drama series? I can see it now...

A couple of disc golfers who travel the country finding adventure, love, and medical emergencies all while escaping danger and fighting to protect the world from the evil overlord WarEagle and his henchmen who's secret base is located at the bottom of the hole on #8.

Was telling my wife this story and she wondered how so many frisbee golfers actually had jobs (RN, medic, pharmacist). I explained that it was the Advanced Masters division.

Anyway, what amazing "luck" to have a heart attack in the middle of an event with lots of people (and trained ones at that) around.

It goes even deeper. I believe half the course that day was Juniors (<19). Fortunately they weren't on that part of the course when the incident occured.

Our group was on hole 12, we heard A lady screaming help, immediately bags were dropped and in the 10 to 15 seconds it took us to reach the gentleman in need, Phil Rowe RN PDGA #12869 from St Augustine, FL. was already performing CPR, just amazing in that amount of time ,from the first cry for help and the 10 to 15 seconds , Phil was there....I had met Phil Sunday warming up at Reedy, and had ran into him as well at the players meeting and exchanged numbers and such, I had to call him after the round and let him him know that we needed more folks like him....The other players mentioned as well did a FANTASTIC job of working with this gentleman and I will never forget my experience and the show of humanity that day at my first worlds.

I smell a Made For TV movie or even a mini-series.

Or how about a weekly drama series? I can see it now...

A couple of disc golfers who travel the country finding adventure, love, and medical emergencies all while escaping danger and fighting to protect the world from the evil overlord WarEagle and his henchmen who's secret base is located at the bottom of the hole on #8.

Lmfao awesome

Any news, or even rumors, on the outcome of the incident at Reedy Creek this morning? (The one that resulted in the delay).

Jay Svitko posted this on Facebook about the incident and has a photo of Phillip Bryan and comments from Phillip. Not sure how to post all that here.

This 2012 PDGA World Championship story just keeps getting better. If you've been following the story we first reported last week regarding the 81 year old man who was walking with his wife at Reedy Creek Park in Charlotte, NC during the Advanced Senior Grandmasters competition and collapsed, you may be interested in knowing that Phillip Bryan, one of our very own disc golf players and Worlds competitors who was instrumental in saving the man's life has been in contact with the man's family and is happy to report that the man is doing well and being released from the hospital tomorrow. The Charlotte Observer newspaper has been in contact with Phillip and is doing a story for their paper. Phillip is a Registered Nurse who administered CPR to the man until paramedics arrived. According to paramedics had Phillip not been there at the right place and the right time, the man would likely have died. Like this story to show your support! Thanks to everyone for following and sharing this amazing story!
— with Phillip Bryan.

Jay was a photographer during Worlds last week as well as a key volunteer for Lemon Lake Worlds 2010 and 2013.

Comments from Facebook:

Phillip Bryan

You have to realize that I was not the first one there. Mike Buchanan from Ohio, Mike Whipple from Utah, Phil Rowe from Florida and I worked as a team to keep him alive. There was

Phillip Bryan

There was a doctor who showed up later as we were doing CPR but it was just a good effort by all involved to keep him alive until the paramedics arrived.

Disc Golfers Roc!

Update - the man who suffered the heart attack, Mark Tarbox (pronounced tar-bow), was released from the hospital yesterday, alert and in good spirits. The reporter is supposed to meet with Tarbox and his wife this weekend and will be writing for publication sometime next week. I'll post the link when it comes out.

Was telling my wife this story and she wondered how so many frisbee golfers actually had jobs (RN, medic, pharmacist). I explained that it was the Advanced Masters division.

Anyway, what amazing "luck" to have a heart attack in the middle of an event with lots of people (and trained ones at that) around.

This post made my day...hilarious.

Thanks for posting the link to the story. Glad to see it made a wider audience, and happy to learn just a little more about the outcome.

i actually met the guy who was first there giving CPR, he was an ex-firefighter and he happened to be playing right next to him when it happened. that man is very lucky to have someone trained in CPR be the first one to him.

wow! hopefully the correct news of recovery reaches everyone who played and especially those involved.

Latest posts