• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Infinite Discs Alpaca

Well my pair of Alpacas showed up this evening.

I was really looking forward to the glow metal flake but it disappointed me. It is very puddle topped.

The I-blend has a nice, normal profile. Kind of a high shoulder with a fairly flat top.

They're made by Innova, so QC isn't at the top of the list. Probably even more so due to the Covid. I've started throwing a few more Innova (and Infinite) molds recently. They're kind of all over the place. I've been ordering more from OTB too recently. It's not just a coincidence either.

By their description I'm gonna say its the Vaviar

Thats the Infinite Discs Scarab

Thats a good point. Vaviar is a scarab and a p1x. I was thinking the vaviar was beadless and convex but after reviewing the side profile on innovas website it indeed has a mild beaded with the convex wing = generic innova vtech bottom.

As for the CALpacca, the stamp is great :clap:

Is the top lower profile than an aviar? Seems so in the pics.

So, my disappointing puddle top Alpaca magically fixed itself overnight. I'm pretty happy about that. I don't know if the cold had something to do with it. It was delivered in the morning and sat on my porch all day. I came home around the hottest part of the day and it was about 26 degrees. Thinking maybe there was some flight plate shrinkage going on or something because it seems fine now.

I had trouble getting a good picture of the profile but the Alpaca is very similar to my beloved P2's. It does feel ever so slightly shallower in the hand but it could just be me.

8d6ec7104d5ff79588bbb39a5c8419f3.jpg

P2 on the left, Alpaca on the right.

I am thinking about trying the Alpaca out. I have putted with p2's since I started playing (6 years ago) I have a ok little stack of them but with the price that they are getting now and me also not being able to find any I am thinking about the switch. Have any of you p2 users switched over completely?

I'll add my somewhat blurry and poor picture (glow firefly on the left, I-blend Alpaca on the right) Seems pretty much identical right down to the PLH, I did notice the firefly says made in the USA on the bottom inside, while the Firefly has the Rancho Cucamonga address instead.

Interestingly enough, I'd never noticed that the top of the firefly has almost 2 different tops to it, the first 1" or so is one radius, than it somewhat abruptly switches to the flat center top. On the I-blend the light reflects off and is much more noticeable than it is on the softer nexus plastic.

This one is actually a Christmas present so I won't get a chance to throw it, at least until after the receiver does. But after seeing this now I'm contemplating picking up a couple different blends to use as throwers.
image0%2B%252814%2529.jpeg

I finally got around to spending some time with my I-blend Alpaca, so far I've been liking it, on course it seems to fly about like my firefly for shorter approaches, I do occasionally mess with it for longer jump putts just to see how it compares to the firefly.
Interestingly I feel when thrown as an approach disc if I didn't know which was in my hand before making the shot both the firefly and alpaca would land in the same spot. But when jump putting it seems like the alpaca always stays straight longer than I expect and I usually miss the chains whereas the firefly might've hyzer'd a bit earlier and hit some chains. I've started aiming a bit more straight at the pole when using the alpaca vs the firefly to jump putt.

Overall, if someone wanted to try out a p2/firefly without the cost associated with them I'd definitely say it's worth giving these a shake first to see if you like the mold.

Kids are funny.

There was some sort of Alpaca pack with a G blend, an I blend and two R blend Alpacas. My daughter was all excited about it so we bought one and stashed it for Christmas. She was throwing one of the R blends for the last couple of days and today she goes "I have four of these, I'm never going to need four" and she handed me an R blend.

Then I said "I have 23 Warlocks, what am I going to do with an Alpaca?"

Anyway, I threw the Alpaca/Firefly/Omega4/P2; no surprise, that's a damn fine throwing putter. The blunt nose had me thinking it would be more OS than a Warlock but it's a tick less stable. Putting wise it stayed up longer than the Warlock (Wizards and Warlocks drop a lot, you have to aim high with them or they will hit the cage) so it reminded me of an Aviar. If I didn't already have 23 Warlocks, this thing would be on the radar.

As it is, I'm going to have to explain to my daughter why she needs more than four putters....

Overall, if someone wanted to try out a p2/firefly without the cost associated with them I'd definitely say it's worth giving these a shake first to see if you like the mold.
I wanted to try the alpaca so I picked a bunch up a couple of months ago. Ended up getting D, P, I, G, and R blends. I also have a S-P2 and Q-omega4 so I think I have all the plastics covered. Currently bagging the Qmega4 as my overstable driving putter, but I honestly think the D blend alpacas feel the best. They aren't knocking PW wizards out of the putter slot but they are a really solid putter. And Dalpacas are relatively cheap and available in a wide range of weights.

Kids are funny.

There was some sort of Alpaca pack with a G blend, an I blend and two R blend Alpacas. My daughter was all excited about it so we bought one and stashed it for Christmas. She was throwing one of the R blends for the last couple of days and today she goes "I have four of these, I'm never going to need four" and she handed me an R blend.

Then I said "I have 23 Warlocks, what am I going to do with an Alpaca?"

Anyway, I threw the Alpaca/Firefly/Omega4/P2; no surprise, that's a damn fine throwing putter. The blunt nose had me thinking it would be more OS than a Warlock but it's a tick less stable. Putting wise it stayed up longer than the Warlock (Wizards and Warlocks drop a lot, you have to aim high with them or they will hit the cage) so it reminded me of an Aviar. If I didn't already have 23 Warlocks, this thing would be on the radar.

As it is, I'm going to have to explain to my daughter why she needs more than four putters....

Hey, at least I have multiples of basically everything I throw. 3 judges, one has never been thrown. 3 hydras, one has never been thrown and one has been thrown once. 4 alpacas, 2 of which are untouched. Now I just need a backup Sensei and my bases are covered.

I've replaced my bag Judge with the R Alpaca, though. It has a little less fade to it so far than the Judge, but my bag Judge is also beat to **** so give me a few months and some trees and then we'll compare again.

Hey, at least I have multiples of basically everything I throw. 3 judges, one has never been thrown. 3 hydras, one has never been thrown and one has been thrown once. 4 alpacas, 2 of which are untouched. Now I just need a backup Sensei and my bases are covered.

I've replaced my bag Judge with the R Alpaca, though. It has a little less fade to it so far than the Judge, but my bag Judge is also beat to **** so give me a few months and some trees and then we'll compare again.
Lol, you get on me for bagging four Warlocks and you are walking around with an Alpaca, a Wizard (you didn't mention it but I know it's there), a Judge, a Hydra AND a Sensei? :eek:

I'm realizing that I never talked to my kids about mold minimalism. :\

Uh, what thread is this? My new year's resolution is to stop drifting threads, and I can at least make it more than one day, eh? Oh, yeah...Alpaca. It's the P2, what else do you have to say? If you have an Infinite account, you should get one!

Alpaca Putter?

Hey everyone, still looking to find a really good putter that has lots of plastic options, flies well, and has a nice feel. I've been switching back and fourth lately between my old Discmania S and Glow P2's and my newer K3 Reko and Exo Soft Link. And even thought I like the feel of the Reko the best (I like how thin it is), I putt much better with my P2's. So I'm going to try and find some alternative P2's for now, since Discmania still isn't making the P2 in anything but that garbage D plastic. Maybe once they come out with some Exo Soft/Hard or S line P2's, then I'll buy a stack, but that probably won't be for a long time. So I'm just going to find another putter I really like, play with for a bit, then buy a stack.

So I found out by doing some research that the Infinite Discs Alpaca has a pretty similar shape and feel to the P2? So first of all, is that correct? i really hate deep dish putters, and the absolute deepest putter I can putt well with is the P2 in S line and Glow. I had one of those Eagle Glow D lines years ago, and HATED how deep the rim was compared to the S and Glow. So I ordered an S and Glow versions, and liked that they weren't quite as deep and sharp rimmed. My favorite feeling putter is the Pure and the Reko, but for some reason, just while putting, they don't fly as well for my putting style as the P2 does. I love how they feel for throwing and upshots, etc, but putting is just not clicking with them. So just for reference, if a putter is the same depth, or ever so slightly thinner than a P2 (somewhere in between a P2 and Pure), then I'd be happy.

So I'm not just looking for recommendations in the Alpaca, but since it's made by Innova and has a billion plastics to choose from, I'm sure I'll always be able to find more of them easily. But if you have any other recommendations, I'm open to suggestions as long as it's a very common disc, that has lots of plastics, and will always be available.

1. So is the Alpaca the same depth as the S/Glow P2s? Thinner? Thicker?

2. Then, what are all the plastics like? I mean, I know what Champ, Star, D, and GStar are, but no idea about I blend, X blend, and P Glow? And in fact, I'm interested in those cool looking Oakley P Glow's, but only if the plastic is what I'm looking for. I did a bit of research on those, and some people say they are very similar to KC Pro Glow plastic? But I also don't know what that feels like either? I think it says it's harder? So is it like D plastic? Or more like a premium hard plastic like Champ? And how much grip does it have? I HATE D line plastic, it's so slippery and cheap feeling and I can't putt with it at all. So if it's like that, I should probably stay away. But if it's even a tiny bit grippy, like say the Exo Hard from Discmania, then I'd like that. I haven't met a Glow plastic from any company I haven't liked or loved yet.

3. Then finally, how do they putt? Are they super straight or have a fade near the end? Glidey for the stated #'s or dump easy? And how do they react if you miss the putt? I know some putters are weird and when they hit the chains, spit out easier, or when they hit the ground they roll away more often then other putters? Just looking for an overall impression of the putter and how it PUTTS. I don't care at all how it throws, I'll only be putting with these discs.

Thanks

Cool, thanks.

So what is the P glow plastic like then?

P Blend Glow will be similar to KC Pro Glow. I have an Anubis in that plastic. Pretty firm but a bit on the lower grip side compared to some other baselines. Probably good in warmer and hot weather though as it will soften up and grip up too.

You can learn to putt with the Reko, just takes time. I have switched from Dart to Aviar PandA to Aviar 3 to Berg and now I'm learning to putt with the Reko. If you like it you can learn it. Just a PSA :)