• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Innova foxbat vs wombat

Foxbats are so interesting - probably the least low speed fade of any disc that goes as far as they do. I ordered a Wombat today from DGC to compare - should be interesting. Anybody thrown one yet?

Foxbat doesn't have a bead. Wombat has a bead.

For me the Foxbat is for long glidey turnover shots when thrown flat. The Tangent is dead money straight thrown flat or will hold any angle you put on it. Tangent is way more high speed stable of the two. I like them both - just for different shots. I use the Tangent 10 times for every time I use the Foxbat though as the Foxbat is a one trick pony for me - turnovers - but it does them well.

The gstar Wombat didn't fade for me.

Turn, turn, turn, flatten, then plop. As slow as it ends up, it pretty much stops where it first hits.

Could be useful outside of a head wind and for SoCal players, has Chavez Ridge written all over it.

I just picked up a wombat to use some new disc only credit I had. I have used the foxbat on and off as a finesse disc for understable approaches, but it also gets a fair share of time being used in place of a leopard for tight, straight, long tunnel shots. The foxbat will turn into a roller way to easily though. I am hoping the wombat fights just enough to mask my imperfect releases.

I have a gstar Wombat, and to my surprise it's become my first look putter! It just comes out of my hand in a straight, predictable manner so well why not take full advantage? I am sinking way more putts than I have before with any putter, including hyzer putts (one memorable one was into a 20-25mph wind. I threw a steep hyzer [~7:00] and it flipped to flat, straight into the chains).

Besides being an awesome putter, it saves space in my bag by filling multiple roles. I'm still learning its limitations on upshots or drives, but it's a very useful disc for multiple shots. When thrown full power, even with a 7:00 hyzer release, it will flip past flat and hold an anny line all the way to the ground, and I've never had problems with it turninbitg too far and burning. Power down a little, and it's easy to put it on a straight line that takes advantage of its insane glide, and the Wombat will go a respectable distance without any noticable fade at the end. I love that I can make it fade at the end if I want it to, only if I want it to. I'll put it on just about any straight or hyzer line I want, and short range annys. For medium or long right turning shots (RHBH) I use other discs.

Considering that the Wombat is just stable enough for my needs, I imagine a Foxbat would be too understable, and might run into problems. A friend has a Foxbat I intend to borrow to test out, to see if it's as I expect.

I have a gstar Wombat, and to my surprise it's become my first look putter! It just comes out of my hand in a straight, predictable manner so well why not take full advantage? I am sinking way more putts than I have before with any putter, including hyzer putts (one memorable one was into a 20-25mph wind. I threw a steep hyzer [~7:00] and it flipped to flat, straight into the chains).

Considering that the Wombat is just stable enough for my needs, I imagine a Foxbat would be too understable, and might run into problems. A friend has a Foxbat I intend to borrow to test out, to see if it's as I expect.

There's certainly no rule that one has to use a putter to putt. As an example, I use a Gator to fight strong headwinds on putts. Some people use mids (such as a beat-up Roc) to putt.

As to the Wombat v. Foxbat: I've found the Wombat to be more understable than the Foxbat, and less consistently reliable than the Foxbat. I use a Foxbat when playing a wooded course. There are two holes that just "fit" the Foxbat and it's 'drift' way of turning. One of those holes is steeply downhill then back uphill to the basket. By way of contrast, the Wombat turns over (despite the V-Technology), is flippy and unreliable. I am a V-Tech fan (love the V-Cobra), but the Wombat was not as reliable to me as the Foxbat. I hardly ever throw the Wombat anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts