• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

My info is that the hot-stamping machine arrived on Friday. The release/approval is also delayed because they are trying to get a more varying weight range. All testers will still receive their discs as promised, but we are asked to be patient.

My thinking (this is me, not coming from Salient) is that their efforts to be consistent make it difficult to get inconsistent weights. If the volume of the mold and the density of the plastic are always the same, the finished discs should all weigh the same. Right?

My info is that the hot-stamping machine arrived on Friday. The release/approval is also delayed because they are trying to get a more varying weight range. All testers will still receive their discs as promised, but we are asked to be patient.

My thinking (this is me, not coming from Salient) is that their efforts to be consistent make it difficult to get inconsistent weights. If the volume of the mold and the density of the plastic are always the same, the finished discs should all weigh the same. Right?

I dont think that's the case. Inconsistent weights is an interesting term as the weights vary but they aren't inconsistent. A 170g weight and 175 weight vary but they are still capable of flying the same, aren't they?

I dont think that's the case. Inconsistent weights is an interesting term as the weights vary but they aren't inconsistent. A 170g weight and 175 weight vary but they are still capable of flying the same, aren't they?

I mean varying weights, not inconsistent - that's the wrong word. To get different weights but have the same shape and volume (fly the same), the density of the plastic would have to be different. This is the theory behind Blizzard Champion - the plastic is the same weight as in heavy discs, but the air bubbles lower the density and therefore lower the weight.

Happy to hear some more on whats goin down. Antsy as hell over here.

Ok guys, so i am finally cleared to fill you in. First of all, Chris has asked me to become a representative of Salient Discs. From here on out i will be giving out updates fed directly to me from Salient. Next a Prometheus update:
Basically what's happening is that Prometheus is running fine however due to its large diameter the weights are higher then most discs. It will be approved up to 189g due to the diameter. We can get those weights in the 180s however we don't want to release til we are able to get a variety of different weights so we can hit a larger market.
The hot stamp press came in Friday and is working great

This is all i have for now fellas

I have a 181 gram demon that flies awesome for my wants/ Forehand style. When I first started playing DG, some of my best throws were with a Jaguar, and Jaguar weights go up to 200 grams. I could throw that jaguar better than 165 gram valkryies.

Salient should release Prometheus as soon as possible, and then come out with some sort of blizzard line Prometheus later. Why make people wait when we already ordered them a while ago? If a disc has a wide rim and is a wide diameter, it will be heavier, and that is the appeal, and is why I ordered the disc. I don't want a 170 gram disc.

Last edited:
I have a 181 gram demon that flies awesome for my wants/ Forehand style. When I first started playing DG, some of my best throws were with a Jaguar, and Jaguar weights go up to 200 grams. I could throw that jaguar better than 165 gram valkryies.

Salient should release Prometheus as soon as possible, and then come out with some sort of blizzard line Prometheus later. Why make people wait when we already ordered them a while ago? If a disc has a wide rim and is a wide diameter, it will be heavier, and that is the appeal, and is why I ordered the disc. I don't want a 170 gram disc.

The reason for the delay is to open up the market more. Because of the nature of the disc, it was stated earlier that Prometheus will range in weight from 189g all the way down to 135g. Chris is a perfectionist when it comes to his products which is why he went to such a great length in his research and methods. I should be getting another update no later than Monday, this time hopefully about release

This seems to be a trend...early pre orders and late arrivals all with seemingly pointless tweaks being made. A preorder should not have been available until the disc was at least 3 weeks from shipping.

This seems to be a trend...early pre orders and late arrivals all with seemingly pointless tweaks being made. A preorder should not have been available until the disc was at least 3 weeks from shipping.

If you want a refund feel free to contact salient for it, but the disc will be worth the wait

So is the disc still planning to ship "early" August? We are pretty much in mid August now. One more week and you are moving to late August.

You realize you have now put yourself right in the line of fire lol I hope they are compensating you...

You realize you have now put yourself right in the line of fire lol I hope they are compensating you...

It has its perks :) besides i dont have the pressure if the business breathing down my back like Chris does. If i need to take heat on the forums i will

I think Chris should release the Prometheus in max weights now before people who have ordered get upset and cause a public relations disaster. He can then develop the lighter weight Prometheus and release it later. His company will have developed brand recognition in the disc golf community by then and the lighter weight Prometheus could be a top seller if the hype is similar to blizzard plastic when blizzard plastic first came out. I really want this company to succeed because they are local and I like the people behind the company. Plus Chris is an alumni of the University of South Carolina.

I think Chris should release the Prometheus in max weights now before people who have ordered get upset and cause a public relations disaster. He can then develop the lighter weight Prometheus and release it later. His company will have developed brand recognition in the disc golf community by then and the lighter weight Prometheus could be a top seller if the hype is similar to blizzard plastic when blizzard plastic first came out. I really want this company to succeed because they are local and I like the people behind the company. Plus Chris is an alumni of the University of South Carolina.

I think he should too but he has made his decision and its already in the works to lower the weights. I will get another update from him next week on how that is progressing

With the failure to launch and PDGA approval on hold, I'm going to be more skeptical with this manufacturer.