• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introduction - New Girl from San Diego

Jhamed16

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to disc golf. I started off with an Innova DX trio and have just started accumulating discs as I get into it. I had heard the Champion Innova plastic was better so I started getting some, without really doing more research. Long story short, I can't throw the champion plastic! I'm assuming it's because I'm not very experienced yet. I started looking into other plastics. I have been doing trial and error, buying some discs, selling the ones I didn't like. Bought suggested discs, but not all work out. Below is my list that I currently have. I like the recycled plastic of latitude 64 and the DX plastic, those seem to be easiest to throw for me. I am sure I have more than enough discs, but now I'm trying to really fine tune to what feels better instead of buying blindly or just going off what one person says haha. If you have any suggestions on what you think is good for beginners, feel free to suggest! Thanks :)

Innova champion beast (kinda hard to throw)
Innova DX Valkyrie (my go to distance)
Quest odyssey (got it cuz it floats!)

Innova champion leopard (lost my DX leopard in water, replaced it with this one but not really working out)
Innova champion TL (guy at store recommended this one, not sure about it)
Gateway evolution blaze (like the plastic, some days I throw it great, others not so great)
Latitude 64 recycled river (easy to throw and nice glide, like that it kinda goes right, but maybe that's just how I'm throwing it?)

Discraft Big Z Elite Buzzz (newest one. Haven't tried it but someone suggested it)
Innova DX shark (it's ok on certain holes I've found)
Innova DX wolf (really like this one)

Innova DX aviar
Innova DX birdie
(I'm terrible at putting, but these seem ok)

My suggestion would be to stay away from discs with wide rims until you have a consistent throw. I would have suggested a Leopard for you, but you've mentioned it wasn't working out for you. If it is a heavy one (175ish) you might consider trying a lighter one for a bit. Also, many of the women I disc golf with like throwing the Mamba and the Latitude 64 Diamond; both of which are designed with people how are not overpowering their discs.

Welcome to disc golf. Be prepared for a lifetime of good fun and good people.

Generally speaking, the Champ version will be the most overstable in comparison to other plastics. Also what weights, I wouldn't go too heavy on drivers, maybe just concentrate with your Aviar, Buzzz, River, and Valkyrie (I had no clue when I started and went to a wooded course with a Firebird LOL). If you throw any forehand or overhand (try to mix these in if you can, better to be a jack of all trades than try to master any one skill) maybe keep the Blaze too for those shots since it is designed to fade out more. With your drivers I would work with the River as much as possible and work on getting controllable lines, throw the Valk on wide open holes when you can afford some room for error.

Get another Leopard in DX plastic. Your line up looks good for the most part. This thread is an amazing resource. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790 Personaly I would drop the Beast, Blaze and maybe even the TL. It is best to start with less and get your form down. Lighter weights will probably be much easier to throw for you so IDK what weights you have but take that into consideration.

Welcome have fun!

Thanks! I had the DX leopard and was doing well with it but when I lost it I replaced with a heavier champion because had heard the plastic was better. I might just go get another DX leopard and I'll check out the Mamba and Diamond.

After having done this a few years ago, I've an advocate of throwing some X Comets. They really do force you to clean up your form. You'll be any to see any flaws in your throw when you throw a Comet

After having done this a few years ago, I've an advocate of throwing some X Comets. They really do force you to clean up your form. You'll be any to see any flaws in your throw when you throw a Comet

2nd this!

Important that they're x, and not z though...too many of the z (or even esp's) are waay more like a roc than a neutral mid.

It's great to see a new lady on here, I thought I was the only feminine presence here for while and I'm not even a girl! I digress though...

Yes X Comets are great for everyone really, it lets you know if you're doing it wrong or right. Stay away from those higher speed discs and experiment with weight. Try some 150's, 160's and 170's to find out what weights are going to work best for you and above all else, have fun. Welcome. :)

If the DX leopard was working, try to trade the champion for another DX or 2 that are the same weight as the one you lost.

Personally, I am still new to the sport (well back after a long hiatus that included forgetting how to throw) and I have found playing putter only, or putter and mid rounds to be of great help.

A friend of mine just got his girlfriend into the sport, and she OWNS with a DX leopard.
I think she plays mostly with that leopard, a heavier kite, a shark, and 2 star darts. She might not throw super far, but she throws with control. Practice making the disc land where you want, and watch the guys who throw long but wild be jealous of your score!

Seems like the softer plastic works better for you, so if you want to try something more durable, I'd go with G-Star, FLX, or something like that.

DX Teebirds in a variety of weights can pretty much cover every driving shot you'll need for a while, and be a good test of your preferred weight. Maybe a 150g, 160g, and 170g DX Teebird.

X Comet would be a great mid. Most everyone prefers mids at max weight (180g).

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out that Comet and hopefully I can get more consistency going

I've got an X Comet sitting around at home as well as a lightweight DX Leopard. They're yours if you'd like them, just cover shipping and I'll dig them out. :thmbup:

It's great to see a new lady on here, I thought I was the only feminine presence here for while and I'm not even a girl!.

You wish.

First of all, how are you? ;)

Joey ?

c245482b755176dce9b5f5bae80567b3.jpg

Welcome San Diego ! :hfive:

Thanks! I had the DX leopard and was doing well with it but when I lost it I replaced with a heavier champion because had heard the plastic was better. I might just go get another DX leopard and I'll check out the Mamba and Diamond.

Champion is considered "better" because it's more durable. It'll take several years to break a Champion disc in to a similar condition as a couple months old DX disc.

One other plastic you could try is Pro; it's similar to DX, but a bit more resilient. It will still break in fairly quickly, but throws similar to DX and doesn't chunk up as easily.

As ti your lineup, it's pretty solid; the TL is a great disc, but in Champion it can be kind of overstable. I wouldn't necessarily quit throwing it, but I would use it as my overstable disc (overstable goes left for right-handed backhand throwers, stable is straight, and understable goes right). If your River is going slightly right, then it's doing what it should do.

This website is a great resource for finding out how discs should fly, beyond the flight numbers http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

Finally, these videos are a great place to start from to tweak your form. Definitely seek out other tutorial/clinic videos, as these are from a single perspective, but they're a great starting point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1PPcbxVmk&list=PL01ED51D099D66E2C

Finally, sling some plastic and have fun! San Diego is a great town, my dad was out there with the US Navy back in the early 80's for some of his training

second on the pro plastic (and analogs)... good stuff
though I'm starting to think that base line plastic (DX, etc) is pretty decent in some molds...def not others...
for example, a DX Orc won't last very long at all

though I do really like champion glow plastic... mostly b/c I can use it at night and daytime... same disc, same wear on the disc, same feel... you get used to it

I prefer Star plastic though if we're talking premium...

oh, and welcome to the site! :)

Last edited:
If you're using a DX disc as a go-to driver it will be a totally different disc in a couple weeks of regular play, because the wear causes them to get really flippy (understable, meaning they turn right out of a right-hand backhand throw, which can be useful but only up to a point). If you like the DX valk, I'd recommend getting that disc in pro or star plastic. It will keep the same flight characteristics for a lot longer, and has better grip than champion plastic. Check the used disc bin at the local used sporting goods store. Pro Leopard and Star Roadrunner might also be worth a try.

Just keep throwing DX/base for now. You most likely are not throwing hard enough to damage/break-in those discs very fast, and you will not be blowing as much money buying premium plastic that you don't want to throw because they don't work for you. Get used to the DX's, then when you get more experience you will know when to start moving into more premium plastic. I also suggest 150 class drivers, and mids around 170 for you. X Comets are great, I would also suggest to you an X Stratus. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went out to play at Morley field yesterday and there were so many trees! My DXs got beat up and will wear down a lot faster if I keep going there. I think I'll go to a different field until I get better, and as my discs wear down I'll look into replacing them with the Pro o G star plastic. Thank you all, it's all really helpful information!

Latest posts