• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it OK to wear a glove on your throwing hand?

OK. I get the misunderstanding now.

Originally Posted by turbine712 View Post
So, it looks like its ok if a person has blisters on his hand, or an abrasion.

I disagree. It says you can have the glove to prevent blisters or abrasions.

Turbine thought that you can only wear gloves if you you have existing blisters or abrasions. The intention of my comment wasn't to limit gloves only to persons that have blisters or abrasions but state that they can wear gloves regardless if they have them or not.

Last edited:
People seem to have a habit of inserting absolutes (only) in your statements so they can argue.

I would think that the word control could mean to prevent. I'm just going off of how I interpret the wording, I'd like to hear PDGAs opinion on it. I think that the intent could settle things.

Totally legal in Ultimate and Disc Golf -- choose your weapon:

http://www.frictiongloves.com/

I saw those advertised as a sponsorship for the Piney Woods tournament coming up. As they are marketed for control and grip on a disc especially in wet conditions I would be very wary as a TD if people were using them in sanctioned play.

As of now I don't think it's a problem since very, very few people use gloves. I've got a single finger "glove" that I'll put on my index finger it starts to hurt while playing. Generally only happens on long courses where I'm constantly throwing drivers.

I would think that the word control could mean to prevent. I'm just going off of how I interpret the wording, I'd like to hear PDGAs opinion on it. I think that the intent could settle things.

In this instance "control" and "prevent" are are synonymous as "pest control" and "pest prevention".

I'll bet my hat...and glove.

*raises one eyebrow mysteriously*

I refuse to play disc golf without wearing my latex gloves. All that fist bumping and hand shaking with bros and their penis slathered hands, no thank you.

Regarding knee braces: I have stated, in a prevous thread, I had a knee scope done jsut over a year ago. I was prescribed an unloader brace for use before and after the surgery. I have not had to use it for a long time, but was told there may be a time where I will need it again depending on how well my knee does in the future. Lateral movement is not possible for me right now. At least not with a support device such as an unloader brace. Because of a physical limitation which may require a physical support device to prevent further injury other than cuts and abrasions, would something like an unloader brace be legal to wear?

Before anyone answers, no it does not give me any additional support, help, strength, or assistance over a completely able bodied person. Even if my knee was completely healthy and I used the brace it would not give any additional support, help, or assistance over anyone else. But then again I would not have such a brace as it is available by prescription only.

Regarding knee braces: I have stated, in a prevous thread, I had a knee scope done jsut over a year ago. I was prescribed an unloader brace for use before and after the surgery. I have not had to use it for a long time, but was told there may be a time where I will need it again depending on how well my knee does in the future. Lateral movement is not possible for me right now. At least not with a support device such as an unloader brace. Because of a physical limitation which may require a physical support device to prevent further injury other than cuts and abrasions, would something like an unloader brace be legal to wear?

Before anyone answers, no it does not give me any additional support, help, strength, or assistance over a completely able bodied person. Even if my knee was completely healthy and I used the brace it would not give any additional support, help, or assistance over anyone else. But then again I would not have such a brace as it is available by prescription only.
You are allowed to wear it. You don't even need a doctor's note.

801.03 Artificial Devices
Last updated: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 18:19
A) During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

B) A device that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

C) A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal artificial device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

I am nobody's TD, but unless you plan to play in PDGA sanctioned tournaments, the idea of anyone caring about your legally prescribed brace being an issue is almost unheard of. Around here, unless it is an A-Tier event and you are playing for cash, it is pretty laissez-faire. You could show up in a body cast and play informal doubles.

I dislocated my right hip twenty years ago and it never healed properly (almost no cartilage left), so I just learned to throw to my capacity. Almost all standstills and in casual play I will take a stroke penalty rather then bending myself into potentially injuring stances. No one is paying me to get hurt. ;)

Have fun, throw plastic, and maybe hit a basket now and again...

[EDIT] zenbot beat to it. His is the definitive answer.