• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it wrong to keep a found disc?

Is it wrong to keep a found disc?

• Call the number on the bottom and try to return it

Votes: 78 83.9%
  • Leave it on the next tee

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Put it in your bag

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then he answers, "No thanks, I left it there cause it landed in the middle of poison ivy patch."
I have abandoned a few discs that landed in a 50 foot patch of poison oak. I got one back from a local. PO sucks.

In California, if the disc has a name and phone number on it then the finder has to make reasonable effort to return the lost property or they would be guilty of theft. In actual practice, I doubt this would be applied often, but it is a possibility that someone could be charged with a crime if you find them playing with your missing disc and they never called you or made efforts to track you down. See below for statute:

CAL. PEN. CODE § 485 : California Code - Section 485

One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is guilty of theft.

SERIOUSLY, I am not even going to be nice about it, SEARCH FEATURE!!!!
:wall:

***edit***

I take it back. You provided a great list. Well played.

Where's Katana?
When have you ever been nice when bitching at n00bs about the search feature?

Last edited:
do whatever you want, i dont care anymore

Someone returned my Yellow Opto X Out Core yesterday. I was extremely happy. I talked to the guy on the phone for a few minutes and told him about this site and that he should join up. It was the third time I've lost this disc and had it returned. I paid 7 bucks for the disc. I even told him where he could buy one.

/Now I just need to get my beloved Wraith back, mitch. LOL.

Lock this thread b4 we all go at each other again!!! Send him to another thread to just read!!!!

Return discs?!!!!!! Never!!!!!!! It's my plastic now you bunch of jerkfaces!!! Ha ha ha ha!!! I just became an average value of $9 richer in plastic, the world is mine!!!!

Oh wait, this is a DX Kite, never mind, I don't throw this crap anyway.

*dials number*

When have you ever been nice when bitching at n00bs about the search feature?

I often welcome them to the site and say, this topic may be hard to find, but here are some threads. I am not nice with lost disc threads or "is this an ace"

I am going to be nice now, and leave this thread for a few hours incase one of my "buddies" show up to teach about the joys of finding plastic and not calling.

In California, if the disc has a name and phone number on it then the finder has to make reasonable effort to return the lost property or they would be guilty of theft. In actual practice, I doubt this would be applied often, but it is a possibility that someone could be charged with a crime if you find them playing with your missing disc and they never called you or made efforts to track you down. See below for statute:

CAL. PEN. CODE § 485 : California Code - Section 485

One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is guilty of theft.

And what about the other 49 states?

good twist...we had a random 2 dudes jump in front of us on a tee and throw, and i notice each one has only one disc because one of em looked like a disc i lost a week before on the same course with the name scratched off. Then we tee off and a buddy throws one twice as far as the first group threw. as we are walking up to his disc it is M.I.A. so i start after them with my 3 y.o. cuz. Have to chase em down 2 holes and a great walk acrossed a park and when i yell at em from 100 yards away they start to book. then i guess the 3 y.o. musta flexed because they stopped and i hollar to toss the "disc back they just stole" and he goes "which one? i dont have one" so i have to call out the "orange wraith with my buddy's name and number on it" What total deusch baggery. he thought it was "a lost disc"

And what about the other 49 states?

Same goes for Pennsylvania. Looks like you're fighting a losing cause:

Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake - 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3924
A person who comes into control of property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.

Maryland too

Can I Be Charged With Theft If I Found Something, or it Was Delivered to me By Mistake?
Yes. Under Maryland law, it is considered a theft if you know an item does not belong to you, and you fail to take reasonable measures to locate the owner.

This could including finding something in a public space, and not making a reasonable effort to locate a lost and found.

I am reporting Katana right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts