• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] is the Axis in your bag?

OP, to be blunt...no.

I was (am?) an avid Buzzz thrower and gave the Axis a shot after loving the Vector and the Ion as well (Ion was second time I tried them, though...first time I said not for me.) I haven't thrown the Buzzz in a couple weeks because of new Champ Cobra's that I'm trying to beat in, but after a solid two months the Axis just wasn't cutting it. Tried and tried and tried and tried to love the thing, I really did, just wasn't happening.

MVP plastic is way grippier than Champ or Z.

I disagree, thoroughly. In fact, the flight plate slipiness is the main reason my Eclipse Ion has never felt right in my hand, and I generally throw Champ / Z / Star.

depends on what z or star plastic you're talking about, the gummy stuff is way more grippy than proton plastic, the slick clear z plastic maybe not.

I think it's sort of a toss up between Proton, Champ, and Z plastic. I don't think it really matters much though for anything other than a putter. As long as I'm power gripping or doing a modified fan grip with my index finger locked under the rim, I don't much care how grippy the disc is.

I threw the axis for a while but never bagged it simply because I've got my Buzzzes and Meteors all dialed in and seasoned up with back ups. Not in the market for a neutral/understable midrange.

depends on what z or star plastic you're talking about, the gummy stuff is way more grippy than proton plastic, the slick clear z plastic maybe not.

Specifically, I'm talking about Crystal Z and heavy (read: stiff / slick) Champion.

The Axis did not stick in my bag. Nice disc, but my Core and Fuse can do anything an Axis can do. I will try one again when they make some lighter ones. I could see if replacing a Core. It just can't do the turn over magic for me that a Fuse can.

I really really really would like to put an Axis into my bag, and it pops in occasionally, but as I've thrown P-MD2's for two seasons and flat C-MD2's for one season now I find it hard to keep it in the bag when the D-MD2's work so well for the same thing, and aren't quite as touchy. The Axis can handle a ton of power nicely, but doesn't need much OAT to flip it over totally. The familiar grip of the D-MD2's is just a huge bonus for me, and they fly great, and they're cheap, and they're more grippy in the rain, and I can cycle them for understable duties also...

If I fell out of love with the D-MD2's I'd put the Axis in, but as it stands it stays out. A lovely disc though...

I do have an Axis in there currently, but I rarely use it. I used to only take the Axis and a couple of Ions out to the course and I was straight up in love with the thing. That all sort of changed once I started throwing a Fuse in the bag. Between the Fuse and the Vector, I feel pretty good about my mid setup, as the Fuse does straight shots very well as well as anny work.

Not sure if this is coherent... I'm pretty hungover.

Last edited:
I was carrying an Axis, I just never found myself throwing it over my Buzzz so gave it a the boot.

It's DEFINITELY in my bag and will be there to stay if it keeps performing the way it has been for me. Something about that disc that just seems to fit with me. I like that it shows flaws in form because it really helps make me more aware of how I'm approaching and throwing shots.

It kicked out my Champ Sharks and Buzzz SS, but hasn't yet been able to boot out my GL Fuse. It's a good compliment to that disc I've found. Maybe when my Axis beats in a bit more it'll be the workhorse mid and give the Fuse the boot too, but for now I carry both.

The Axis replaced my Buzzzes.they feel better in the hand and they just work better for me. So now it's the Vector- Axis- Comet midrange lineup for this year.