• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this typical for a B tier?

jenb

* Ace Member *
B tiers require $500 added cash and 100% payout to the pros. See http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/2013_Tour_Standards.pdf

I know TDs are allowed to subtract some expenses from the purse, but I'm not sure what is allowed or where to find that information.

At a local one-day B tier that advertised $500 to the "pro div," it looks like almost all of the added cash was offset by expenses.

For example, 12 pro men paid $60 each to play for a total of $720 in entry fees, and they got paid out a total of $755.

Additionally, 2 pro women paid $45 each to play for a total of $90 in entry fees, and the winner got paid out $85.

Also, 17 age 40+ men paid $55 each to play for a total of $935 in entry fees, and they got paid out a total of $940.

Is this typical? Is $500 a typical expense that TDs usually subtract from the pro purse for a one day event? Is it what we should expect from a one day B tier?

That's not right at all. It's my understanding that as a TD, I cannot use pro money to offset expenses.
Someone didn't follow the rules.

That's not right at all. It's my understanding that as a TD, I cannot use pro money to offset expenses.
Someone didn't follow the rules.

That's not true. TDs are allowed to "tax" pro entries same as am entries to cover expenses. The PDGA player fee, for example, comes out of each player entry off the top.

However, the requirement for B-tiers is $500 added to the purse. Assuming that the majority went to the Open division, at least half of the entry fees went somewhere other than the purse.

So the question is, was there a players' pack given to the pros? Was there a charity aspect to the tournament? Something else that would account for the apparent disparity? Was this a pro-only event? If so, that means there's no am payout margin (difference between wholesale and retail price on merch) from which to cover expenses, so it has to come from somewhere.

The other possible explanation is that they simply didn't have $500 to add. It can happen if expected sponsors fall through. Sometimes TDs get stuck. Though if that were the case, I'd expect the TD to be upfront with the players about it. And maybe they were...was the OP at this event or is this coming second hand?

I did not attend. The flyer says $500 added cash and B-tier and the PDGA event results page also says it is a B-tier.

Given that 31 pros were "taxed" almost $500 for overhead, and the event had over 70 players, that would suggest that the overhead for the one-day tournament was about $1250. Is that normal?

I don't know if the pros were given a players pack. It is possible.

I checked out the TD report excel spreadsheet, and the instructions specifically tell the TD to subtract overhead in each division. The finances page also lists a lot of expense types that can be counted as overhead. See attached.

Attachments

• TD_REP_INST.png
    TD_REP_INST.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 14
  • TD_REP_EXP.png
    TD_REP_EXP.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts