• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump putting

I putt a 164g voodoo, which is probably more like 160g with the chunks I've taken out of it. I like heavier discs for jump putting so I do it with a 174g 4 chains magnet.

What is the purpose of jump putting? I've tried it only a hanful of times and have far less accuracy and consistancy with it so I gave it up.

I fail to see the purpose for jump putting.

It's to utilize a weight shift, so that you don't need to extend your arm motion/upper body motion. Imagine using the same form for a 20 foot putt, but from 70 feet out. That's what a well timed jump putt can do

When I putt at distance I need to jerk my arm to get enough mustard to get 50'+. Jump putting gets this arm jerk out of the equation increasing accuracy.

I use my normal putting putter. I actually nailed a 65 footer today, and a 40 footer. My jump putts are getting really consistent.

I understand it's more than likely preference. I personnaly am more consistant when I just follow through with a putt. Meaning I'll just step over my lie. I'm pretty consistant from 30-60 feet. If I miss it I usually end up within 10' for a drop in anyway.

I understand it's more than likely preference. I personnaly am more consistant when I just follow through with a putt. Meaning I'll just step over my lie. I'm pretty consistant from 30-60 feet. If I miss it I usually end up within 10' for a drop in anyway.

This is probably good for your game, lest you be called for a feldturd (aka super DB) jump putt foot fault.

i putt with an r pro cro, same as my jumpers. the only time i change it up is if its really windy, then i go to my pro rhyno or my pig. i try to use the cro no matter what, even for jumpers up to 100'+ and its been really effective for me.

I use the same putter I use for any putt outside the circle. A beat up 170 DX Aviar. Something more understable enables you to put more nose up on the shot and get maximum range without blowing by or fading out too soon. Gets up to the basket and then drops out of the sky.

I use an HPP wizard for drives, ups, and jump putts. SSS Wiz for putting duties.

I understand it's more than likely preference. I personally am more consistent when I just follow through with a putt. Meaning I'll just step over my lie. I'm pretty consistent from 30-60 feet. If I miss it I usually end up within 10' for a drop in anyway.

steeping threw is still a jump putt ...

its actually illegal to jump when putting ... before you release your disc
its more rather considered a Falling putt ...
But U all prlly know that :p

BUt yes .. by falling forward .. your utilizing you body inertia for power ..using the same amount of power ud use for a 25 footer .. as you'd use for a 35 footer ...
rather than trying to snap your arm/wrist more .. resulting in a Grip or slip putt ...

Last edited:
And also ..
i personally ...
and alot of top pros ..
would recommend using the same putter for all of your putts ...
inside and out of the circle ..

only time you really would want to change putters is for approaches and windy days

I use the same putter I use for any putt outside the circle. A beat up 170 DX Aviar. Something more understable enables you to put more nose up on the shot and get maximum range without blowing by or fading out too soon. Gets up to the basket and then drops out of the sky.

same here but a beat magnet. I only jump putt if I am at least 70'ish out. Inside that and I can still use my regular putting motion, just sped up and with a touch more snap. For me the jump putt is just a short approach shot. I want it to have a chance at going in, but really just want it next to the basket.

I laugh when I see people jump putting at 30-40'. One time I played a tourney and one guy on my card must have asked me at least 5 times if he was outside 10m so he could jump putt. If you are that close to the circle that you need to ask, you probably don't need to use a jump putt :thmbup:

I use different putters of the same mold. This may seem counter-intuitive but I use a lighter one inside the circle and a heavier one outside. My reasoning is that with the increased distance I am throwing with more snap and require more stability so I don't just turn my putter over. This way I am keeping essentially the same form, just with more snap.

Latest posts