• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Junipero Serra County Park, San Bruno California

I'm glad to hear progress is being made. Keep us posted on work days or help you need, I'll come out and get my hands dirty if I can mesh it with the school schedule!

That's great stuff PeterB. A new course in the peninsula is exciting! GGPark is an awesome course, but it can get really backed up on the weekends.

bump

i've heard this course is getting close and with luck will be set by june(ish)

great progress PB.

can you work your magic @ McClaren Park too?

can you work your magic @ McClaren Park too?

Just got this email from Jeffery Bowling :

"Hi everyone,

Well we have exciting news about the McLaren Disc Golf course. San Francisco Parks & Rec Department & the San Francisco Disc Golf Club have agreed upon a preliminary layout for the McLaren Park Disc Golf Course. This is an amazing layout that includes a full 18 hole course with a wonderful variety of holes. There are a few wide open 500+ foot holes, a few tight and technical holes, lots of elevation changes and great views of San Francisco. This is a course that will challenge even the best players and is sure to become one of the premiere courses in the bay area.

Before we can move on to drafting an MOU with the city and start the actual construction of the course, we need to present the layout to the community. There is a general misunderstanding of disc golf in the community surrounding McLaren Park and thus there is a small but vocal opposition to the construction of the McLaren Disc Golf Course. Therefore these meetings will be very important to demonstrate to the city that there is a strong demand for disc golf in San Francisco. Up to this point, they have only been hearing opposition to the course. I have done my best to convince them that there are hundreds of disc golfers that are very excited to see the McLaren course completed. Now is the time to prove this to them.

April 10th 1pm at the parking lot of the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park: Course Walkthrough - We will have a walkthrough in McLaren Park of the purposed layout. This is a great chance to come out and see the planned course layout. But also, this is a meeting that will be attend by many members of the community who are opposed to the course and thus we need to have a large contingency of people who are excited by the layout.

April 20th 6:30-8pm at Crocker-Amazon Clubhouse (In McLaren Park near the corner of Italy & Moscow): Community Meeting - This is the big meeting. This is a meeting to discuss Disc Golf in McLaren Park. I will give a presentation about Disc Golf in San Francisco and the course in McLaren park. We will then hear from the community about reaction to the purposed plan. It is important that the Parks Department hear many more positive responses than negative ones. Thus it is extremely important for the future of disc golf not just in McLaren Park but in all of San Francisco, that there are a huge number of disc golfers at this meeting. If you play disc golf in San Francisco, this meeting is a must attend event.

Since it is so important to have a big attendance to these meetings, it is critical for us to have an idea of who plans to attend. Please take a few minutes to answer the survey below. (Only 5 questions) Also please forward this to anyone you know who plays Disc Golf.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XZGCLLX

We will also be doing phone trees before the events to remind members to attend. If you can help make 10 calls in the days leading up to each of these meetings, please let me know and I will add you to my list.

Assuming we get an excellent turnout at both of these events, I believe we will be starting construction on McLaren Park by the end of the summer.

Extremely excited,
Jeffery Bowling
SFDGC"

damn...that sounds hot.

/me envisions a dg road trip in the near future.

but a meeting in SF on 4/20? i predict many a 6' subway sandwich will be worked on, but not much else will get done.:|

I started a new thread on Mclaren.

As for JSCP:
- stick and I are presenting the idea to the park commission tomorrow evening. After that, we'll need to do some community meetings (where we'll need some golfers to show up) and then a final presentation to the board of supervisors.

- we're not expecting too much opposition. The park director loves us and disc golf...but you never know which NIMBYS will show up.

- Due to all of this, construction probably won't start until late summer.

Stay tuned!

Phase 1 complete. The Park Commission has decided to let disc golf go through to the next phase: community meetings, and then a final proposal to the board of supervisors to allow an 18 month trial period at Junipero. More to come shortly!

I have been waiting and googling this course every few weeks, and it has been a total bummer because there is never any updates or news about it, however today was different.

There will be a public hearing for this course on August 26th. Check the San Mateo County Parks website for more info here is the link:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/parks/menuitem.f13bead76123ee4482439054d17332a0/?vgnextoid=28a9d23e0bc7a210VgnVCM1000001937230aRCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1

I can get psyched again. Spread the word people.

We've been waiting on the parks dept. Who thought we would have a course by july 4th. We haven't been posting much because we don't want the opposition to the SF courses to have any ammo against Mclaren, since this couse has nothing to do with the San Francisco parks dept. And Peter and I live in San Mateo County and not the city. We also want to keep the community meetings small and unimposing, so the local community doesn't feel overwhelmed. Things are moving forward. We don't need many disc golfers at our 1st upcoming meeting, but we will when we go before the county board.

Last edited:
We had our communty meeting last night. The neighbors were concerned, but seem to be open minded. We'll walk them through the course tomorrow at 10am. All are welcome to attend this design tour, but keep in mind that we are ambassadors for the sport and that the tour is primarily for the neighbors. Hope to see some of you!

The tour went well. It alleviated a lot of valid concerns (e.g. "will discs come into my property?"). Its always hard to tell from a map how something actually is in reality. Next steps will not occur until the fall. Sorry for the wait everyone...public process takes time. But it will be worth it!

not sure if many of you are following the news but last night there was a massive natural gas main break and the ensuing explosion and fire killed at least 6 people, destroyed over 50 homes, and seriously injured dozens more all in the city of San Bruno, less than a mile from Junipero Serra Park:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39089768/ns/us_news/

At some point soon, I'd like to have a fundraiser tournament at the park with 100% of the proceeds going towards the neighborhood and the people who were affected most.

Looking forward to the installation of the course in this area. Also offering my services if needed, I am a Certified Arborist who routinely writes tree protection plans for construction sites. I have all my own climbing gear and the know how to tackle tree issues if they do arise. Looking forward to a course here on the peninsula :)

cool remy! We look forward to your help and interest once (if) things get rolling at JSCP. I live in Redwood City by the way...and this course is not the only park we're interested in building.

Course installation?

Does anyone have a sense of when this course will actually be installed and open to the public??? Peter or Stick?

The park system opened public comments for 45 days, which ended on Sept 30th. They will then let us know how to proceed. Bottom line from what I know is that we'll have to have a public meeting to get it approved by the county board of supervisors.