• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Katana vs. Vulcan

Yeah, I'm close to breaking 400', I'm at about 360-370' right now, but I'm disc'd throwing a CD by discmania. Even when I'm disc'd up, I still have never found need of anything above about a speed 11.

I can bomb a Katana further than anything else. Haven't throw a vulcan yet but can't wait. Why all the negativity and hostility here about new discs. Every good player knows it comes down To putting and if certain discs give you the best opportunity to hole out who cares how far they throw it.

I can bomb a Katana further than anything else. Haven't throw a vulcan yet but can't wait. Why all the negativity and hostility here about new discs. Every good player knows it comes down To putting and if certain discs give you the best opportunity to hole out who cares how far they throw it.
because throwing discs too fast for your arm speed breeds OAT and actually slows down or even reduces a players ability to improve.

throw ultra speed discs 300' to score better, not to get better.

Careful, the disc speed police might be reading your comments.

At 400' of power, the Vulcan is too flippy for me to throw on control lines.

BUT, Z Nukes, Opto Flows, etc. aren't usually flippy enough to flip over from hyzer into a distance line at my power level either. The Vulcan is perfect for that. Flippy enough to flip from hyzer and glide anny, but still LSS enough to come back.

I imagine it would beat into a great sky roller too. The edge is sharp and the wing is balanced.

because throwing discs too fast for your arm speed breeds OAT and actually slows down or even reduces a players ability to improve.

throw ultra speed discs 300' to score better, not to get better.

Maybe he can throw discs at that speed:confused: While I agree that newbies shouldn't be throwing ultra high speed drivers, if an experienced player can consistantly throw that disc flat, low and straight and further than anything else why not use it?

I'm looking for a new understable distance driver, particularly one with a good right turn so I don't have to use side-arm shots and so that I can get more distance. My question is which disc should be easier to throw for distance and keep straight if need be.

Katana: 13, 5, -3, 3
Vulcan: 13, 5, -4, 2

And if anyone has advice to throw these I'd appreciate that too.

A Sidewinder.

I'm looking for a new understable distance driver, particularly one with a good right turn so I don't have to use side-arm shots and so that I can get more distance. My question is which disc should be easier to throw for distance and keep straight if need be.

Katana: 13, 5, -3, 3
Vulcan: 13, 5, -4, 2

And if anyone has advice to throw these I'd appreciate that too.

The Vulcan is a little flipper and should be a little easier to throw for weaker arms. But, that being said, I would recommend a Vision (one of my favorite all time discs), Avenger SS (great for those long s shots and easier to throw than a Vulcan or Katana), or a Roadrunner (also excellent for long s shots)

At 400' of power, the Vulcan is too flippy for me to throw on control lines.

BUT, Z Nukes, Opto Flows, etc. aren't usually flippy enough to flip over from hyzer into a distance line at my power level either. The Vulcan is perfect for that. Flippy enough to flip from hyzer and glide anny, but still LSS enough to come back.

I imagine it would beat into a great sky roller too. The edge is sharp and the wing is balanced.

So after buying a couple Star Vulcans of my own, (had been throwing a buddy's at the field) I'm really impressed with this disc. Stability-wise, it reminds me a lot of a Gold Line Lat64 Flow I throw at the same weight (170g). They seem to stay in the air just as long.

The difference is that the Vulcan is FAST. It just comes screaming out of your hand. I've never had a disc that added so much effortless D. We have a driving range at my home course. It's 400' to the parking lot. Second throw with the Vulcan I hit a hyzer flip turnover that skipped into the middle of the lot. My longest throw ever.

It is flippy, but it's a predictable flip. It's not as easy to flip to flat as a (beat) PD or Orc, but it is predictable for a speed 13 disc, (haven't had the throw-up-my-hands-and-bitch-at-the-disc shot yet.)

What I'm really liking about it is how slowly it seems to be beating in. Speed 13 drivers seem to age really quickly for me. I've hit a couple trees HARD, and haven't noticed a change yet.

I'm going to grab a couple more. I'm praying that a Champ 175g is as sweet as it seems like it would be.
I'm not positive that it'll make my bag for wooded courses yet, but it's now my go-to boomer driver. I'm guessing it'll bomb in a tailwind too.

I agree with most of this, especially the assessment part of the Vulcan. However, while I am seeing relatively the same results as you are with the Vulcan and we have comparatively the same power, I have not been able to dial in the Gold Line Flow. I got my Opto fairly under control, but the GL seems to have a mind of its own. Some shots just go straight into the ground, others skyrocket like on an elevator, and only once in a while do I truly hit what I want. I was up and down with the River as well when I first started throwing that and now I cannot play without the River, so I am hoping that the Flow will come around as well.

Yet EVERY throw I took today with my new Star Vulcan was money. No learning curve whatsoever. Over every shot I gradually tried a little harder, trying to find the threshold where it would flip and not come back on my intended line. I did not have the time to crank it over the arbritrary 80%ish of power, but everything up to then was incredibly predictable and easily repeatable. Much like what you had said below.

Normally I do not throw Champion or Z plastic in the winter, but having bucked that trend by throwing some Opto, I might have to break out the Z Nukes and see how they compare to this Star Vulcan. Drat, I have no money and I need to go out and buy a few more Vulcs now.

So after buying a couple Star Vulcans of my own, (had been throwing a buddy's at the field) I'm really impressed with this disc. Stability-wise, it reminds me a lot of a Gold Line Lat64 Flow I throw at the same weight (170g). They seem to stay in the air just as long.

The difference is that the Vulcan is FAST. It just comes screaming out of your hand. I've never had a disc that added so much effortless D. We have a driving range at my home course. It's 400' to the parking lot. Second throw with the Vulcan I hit a hyzer flip turnover that skipped into the middle of the lot. My longest throw ever.

It is flippy, but it's a predictable flip. It's not as easy to flip to flat as a (beat) PD or Orc, but it is predictable for a speed 13 disc, (haven't had the throw-up-my-hands-and-bitch-at-the-disc shot yet.)

What I'm really liking about it is how slowly it seems to be beating in. Speed 13 drivers seem to age really quickly for me. I've hit a couple trees HARD, and haven't noticed a change yet.

I'm going to grab a couple more. I'm praying that a Champ 175g is as sweet as it seems like it would be.
I'm not positive that it'll make my bag for wooded courses yet, but it's now my go-to boomer driver. I'm guessing it'll bomb in a tailwind too.

I think the Vulcan is the real sidewinder on steroids

The question I have is how a pro katana compares to a star vulcan. I can't handle a star katana, but once I break in a pro, it definitely adds 50 feet to my 325-350 foot drives.

Been playing for a few months now. My better throws are around 300 RHBH. My new Vulcan 166g pushed that to 325+ with little or no extra effort. So I guess Innova hit their target group. Less powerful arms looking for added D. It flys just like my Sidewinder but much farther. I'm pretty happy with it so far at this stage. I don't have the arm speed for the Katana yet but am getting there. Until then the Katana has been awesome as a flick disc for me.

Being a low power player I decided to give this a shot. I dont know if its the type of disc that will make the bag and if it does I only see using it on wide open holes and down hill shots with plenty of room. So I ordered one from Marshallstreet and was looking forward to throwing it. That was yesterday now I am looking out the window at the blizzard that has engulfed Iowa and wondering why I thought it was a good Idea to move back here from Arizona.

It's funny to read reviews and opinions and know that everything you read doesn't relate when you live at 6k ft. Therefore while I've been enjoying my 172 Champ Tana here in Colorado it may prove to be a bit hairy when I get to Socal next week. The GCC pre-release is gummy and feels great.