• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] KC Pro Roc Vs. Mcpro Roc3 Vs. Champion Roc3

nukepower

I am sure these questions have been asked tons of times, but I have been looking for good comparisons between these 3 discs and cannot seem to find one. I bought 2 champ roc3's a few weeks ago, and it seems I cannot throw them as far as my other rocs, even my gstar roc3. It almost feels like the champ roc3 doesn't fly as far and is more overstable. I am thinking of taking them out of my bag. I was wondering how the mcpro roc3's stack up in terms of distance and stability, and then last, where does the KC pro roc fit in, in terms of distance and stability.

Thank you.

For me champ plastic midranges are generally a little shorter then baseline or midgrade plastic. Depending on the particular champ's you have the other plastics may or may not be more or less stable. Some champs are pretty darn overstable, others are very straight and show a little turn.

The 2015 McPro roc3s flat out bomb. They go a freaking mile compared to just about any other roc variation I've ever thrown. Nice and straight with some fade, breaks into an awesome hyzer flip to dead straight. Killer disc.

KcPro's will definitely be shorter then the McPros. They may or may not be more stable, just depends on what run you pick up. A lot of the stuff I've seen lately has been very domey and pop topped on the KC's, which makes them pretty overstable and not particularly fast. You can't really go wrong with a KC, I've thrown them for years. You'll probably find something to use it for.

I am sure these questions have been asked tons of times, but I have been looking for good comparisons between these 3 discs and cannot seem to find one. I bought 2 champ roc3's a few weeks ago, and it seems I cannot throw them as far as my other rocs, even my gstar roc3. It almost feels like the champ roc3 doesn't fly as far and is more overstable. I am thinking of taking them out of my bag. I was wondering how the mcpro roc3's stack up in terms of distance and stability, and then last, where does the KC pro roc fit in, in terms of distance and stability.
Thank you.

I have the following: 2 McPro Roc3s, board flat tops. 2 very firm Star Roc3s, slight dome tops. 2 (much) softer Star Roc3s, as board flat on top as the McPros. 2 GStar Roc3s, one (a factory second) is board flat, the other slightly domey. 2 Champion McBeth 3x Roc3s, JL plastic.

All of these started off a bit overstable, flying fairly straight and then fading (or dumping) at the end. I'd say the Champ Roc3s started out a bit more stable.

I mostly used the McPro Roc3s, and they beat in fairly quickly to very straight flights and a dump at the end, not a lot of fade, but a dump. I was hoping to put the Champ Roc3 in the bag as more overstable to compliment the McPros, but a peculiar thing happened: the Champs weren't all that massively overstable. Straight flight, bit of a leftward fade at the end (RHBH throw).

The Champ Roc3s and the FAF Star Roc3s are about the same to me. The firm Star Roc3s (slightly domey) are a bit more overstable, and I use them for hard hyzers on technical/wooded courses.

Your Champ Roc3s might just be a bit more OS and will beat in and mellow out over time. It might also be the way you're throwing them. What are the different weights of your Roc3s? Heavier ones will be more OS and not go as far (all of mine are right around 175-176g, btw). There could be several factors.

So that's my comparison: I was surprised to find all of my Roc3s straight with some ending fade, none as OS as I'd expected (and hoped, to be honest).

Champ Roc3's will be slightly more OS with less glide.

McPro Roc3's should go farther and have a straighter flight path.

A regular KC Roc with an even dome will have more glide, be stable to slightly OS and will break into a super straight flyer eventually.

They are also better at anny lines IMO once they break in.

Flat Rocs can get squirrelly once they get beat up.

I carry both flat and regular dome KC Rocs FWIW.

Thank you all for the response. This helps a ton. I think I need to try out some Mcpro Roc3's, because I am not getting the distance I was hoping for out of the champ version. I didnt have much of a problem with the stability, but for some reason, whether it be the plastic or possibly a mold preference, I cannot confidently bomb them like i have other mid ranges in the past. I would like to try the star roc3's at some point.

FYI: I use the same weight for both my champ roc3's 175g
also, I use a stacked power grip for my mid range discs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAV8kKURKaw at minute 1:16), as opposed to a power grip for my drivers.

I carry 3-4 champ roc3s (one metal flake) and 2 dx roc3s. I used to carry kcpros for my strait to understable mid, however the roc3 has been more consistent for me. I've only thrown a mcpro roc3 a couple times and they're stable to understable out of the box. I have a 172g champ roc3 thats understable after 3 months and a new 180g thats strait as hell. My metal flake is OS and anything after that is a gator. I have a beat dx roc3 for left to right tunnel shots and a backup thats new. (Flat top glow kcpro rocs are very similar to a mcpro roc3 mold btw)

when I threw these awhile back, I noticed champ roc3 could be pretty flippy too.
it seems to be faster but doesnt glide as well as kc or dx.

but a beat in kc/dx will be flippier than champ roc3.

i like dx roc3, kinda in between.

never threw mcpro

My midrange role is filled by various Roc3's. My champ 2x Roc3 is slightly overstable my star is stable flying very straight with a good fade at the end and my McPros are absolutely money. The McPro beats into a great straight to slightly understable flyer and I get the best distance out of them. None of them are really overstable for me and even the champ will not come back in srong winds. I'm going to be testing a Justice and Gator for the overstable utility role to save me in high winds because that's the only place the Roc3 fails for me.

I have one McPro out of 12 that's straight with some fade and all the rest are straight to understable. RHBH they slowly track right on a laser line. Given some height they will come back though. What I like about them most is they will hold ANY line. Sometimes on a hyzer they will flip flat a bit but on a hard anny they won't turn over and won't come out of it. They just keep tracking on that line. Beautiful.

I don't see enough love for the Star Roc3s. They are actually my favorite. Nice and grippy and my farthest Roc3s for sure. I can give them all the power I have and they just go dead straight with a soft fade. Been carrying 2 Stars for my main Rocs, 1 glow Champ for overstable, 1 McPro for understable/annys and 1 DX I'm trying to beat in where I can throw flat and know it will turn. The DX I have started out surprisingly very stable. Haven't had a shot yet I don't have a Roc for.

As others have said the Champs are more stable and the KC Pros are a bit shorter. Pick up some McPros. You won't be disappointed.

Latest posts